UNO = Basketball version of Husker Football

big red22

Question. So they aren't UNO anymore? On the espn recap it said they are just referred to as Omaha.

Its their new branding since the move to D1. They pretty much recrated everything athleticly. They prefer just Omaha now.

I think it's smart. However, they're not doing a very good job getting everybody on board. I've seen:

Neb-Omaha

UN-Omaha

UNO

Omaha

UN-O

etc.

From a national perspective, this is a much-needed change. Omaha is a very unique name (if you say "Omaha" you know they're referring to a city in Nebraska, unlike say... "Springfield") and it is very recognizable.

Question. So they aren't UNO anymore? On the espn recap it said they are just referred to as Omaha.

Its their new branding since the move to D1. They pretty much recrated everything athleticly. They prefer just Omaha now.

I think it's smart. However, they're not doing a very good job getting everybody on board. I've seen:

Neb-Omaha

UN-Omaha

UNO

Omaha

UN-O

etc.

From a national perspective, this is a much-needed change. Omaha is a very unique name (if you say "Omaha" you know they're referring to a city in Nebraska, unlike say... "Springfield") and it is very recognizable.

or Payton calling an audible?:)

Neb-Omaha

UN-Omaha

UNO

Omaha

UN-O

etc.

I think part of the switch for marketing "Omaha" is that there is another UNO, the University of New Orleans. The hockey team had been referred to as Nebraska-Omaha since their inception 18 yrs ago, so I suppose "Omaha" simplifies that much like Minnesota State-Mankato became "Mankato."

I can understand going by just Omaha, not sure I would like folks to know my college was named after a kids card game.

I remember at the first exhibition game that I attended in 2005, we played against Omaha, and some of the Red Zone brought UNO cards and tore them up on camera.  (None of the Wild Cards, though; I think they were all numbers.)

Neb-Omaha

UN-Omaha

UNO

Omaha

UN-O

etc.

I think part of the switch for marketing "Omaha" is that there is another UNO, the University of New Orleans. The hockey team had been referred to as Nebraska-Omaha since their inception 18 yrs ago, so I suppose "Omaha" simplifies that much like Minnesota State-Mankato became "Mankato."

It's crazy how much the sports landscape has changed with more national exposure for both small and large programs. I remember USC (that team in California) tried going toward "Southern Cal" for awhile because there are a number of other "USC" teams (like South Carolina). That marketing ploy didn't work out so well. Or teams like OU (like Oklahoma, Ohio, Oregon), Tech (Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech), and SDSU (San Diego St. and South Dakota St.) constantly fight to be the top-of-mind acronym school.