uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 4 - Omaha

uneblinstu

Most evident improvement in Tai's game is his strength and athleticism.  Seems like he is much more explosive when taking the ball to the rack this year.

Still waiting on his improved jumper and better decision making.  He's had 7 assists and 11 turnovers in the 4 games played.  Conversely, Tarin Smith has 7 assists and 0 turnovers in those 4 games, playing 10 minutes less per game.  

-The crowds have been bad the first couple of games. There is zero energy at PBA right now... Including the student section.

I thought tonight's crowd was really quite good. I think we're expecting too much if we think every game we're going to have an atmosphere like we saw down the stretch last year. That's just not gonna happen. Creighton will be a great atmosphere. Cincinnati, I hope will be good and I expect it to be good for most of the conference games, but expecting it to be good for games vs. teams like Central Arkansas, Tennessee-Martin or Incarnate Word, probably isn't going to happen.

I'll chalk it up to being non-conference season. Not an excuse and not how we should look at it, but it is what it is. It would be great to own home-court advantage by creating an intimidating atmosphere night-in and night-out. That's the least we can do for the team if the fans truly care about basketball in the state of Nebraska.

Nebraska was +19 when Moses was in the game. I mentioned it in the game thread but I think he needs to start next game. He's been more efficient for the team so far. Plus a spark off the bench may just be what the doctor ordered for Walt. Miles obviously hoped moving Benny would help Tai and the team maybe Walt needs the same jolt.

i love it, it immediatly creates a spacing dynamic for shields and petteway, and creates a better match up for our bench. 

And with it I'm not even saying to play Moses much more than he's playing now.  Like Manu Ginobili I think Walt could be deadly off the bench, still getting the lions share of minutes in the post.  But by having him off the bench it gives the second unit Tai, Walt, and Tarin some great scoring options.

Tai looked way more comfortable in that role has the first guy off the bench, Benny didnt seemed that affected either still just doing benny things that he always does. The Lineup we had out there showed they could hold off a run, induce a secondary run, and than hold a lead, and looked to mesh with the exception of walt, but think i move to the bench may cure that. This allows Terran, and Shavon to get rolling as the primary scorers, Moses, David, Benny to kickstart the defensive identity than your bring the scoring punch in and go for the throat...i like it. 

How exactly did Tai look more comfortable coming off the bench?  He played good the second half but not the first half so don't think coming off the bench had any effect either way.  As for the starting lineup, not sure it really had any impact as we still got off to a slow start.  We gave up 21 points in the first 5 minutes so not sure how this "new" lineup shows it can hold off a run.  Regardless of Benny or Tai starts, we need to find a way to not dig a hole at the beginning of the game and try to crawl out of it or we will lose more games this year than we want to.

Omaha shot a ridiculous clip to open, the law of averages caught up to them. and they slowed down. There were at least 2 to 3 Three point shots that were contested or shot from 25 feet plus that went in, just a hot start. Secondly that wasnt the new lineup if you watched, Walt started, Im saying a New lineup composed of Moses, David Rivers, Shavon, Terran, and Benny starting will establish a defensive identity