uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 4 - Omaha

uneblinstu

Well, that was entertaining...

- Shavon Shields is the best player on this team right now, and perhaps is the early season favorite for CPOY.

- Petteway was a lot better today. Thankfully, the ankle looks ok.

- The game turned the same place it always turned, on defense. NU held UNO 23 points below their season average. That's pretty impressive. And had the Mavs not started out red hot, it may have been close to 30.

- Liked the start from Parker tonight. Then he did his thing. Got nervous when he went flying into the hoop, though.

- Also thought this was the best game of the year from Webster, especially in the second half. If he can carry that forward, that would be great.

- Walt is in some sort of a funk. He's missing 3's, he's missing FT's, he's missing layups, he's losing jump balls. After the slow start, he got tentative. Not sure how to get him going, but they're gonna have to. It's pretty painful to watch right now. 

- Not sure why Rivers didn't play much. Didn't notice anything particularly poor in his play. 

- Rebounded better tonight, but UNO doesn't have much post play to speak of.

- This game was really entertaining. UNO really came ready to play and took advantage of some NU sloppiness and tightness. There was emotion, the crowd was into it. It was just a fun game. 

- UNO's just got a bunch of athletes. Not sure how disciplined they are, but that could do some damage in the Summit League. I wish they were eligible to play in the tournament this year, they might make a run at it.

- I still think Thurman could one day play at this level. I think he'll be a really good one for the Mavs.

- Once NU got the defense rolling, it caused a bunch of trouble for the Mavs ball handlers. NU rode it in the first half for a nice 33-6 run.

- Thought Moses was really good defensively today, but again, UNO doesn't have much inside game to speak of. Just wish he had any sort of offensive game. It's really painful to watch on that end of the floor right now, at least when he has the ball in his hands.

- Tarin Smith was ok. 

- Still would like to see more of Fuller. Hopefully he can work his way into the rotation as the season progresses. 

- Looks like we've settled on a decent little 8 man rotation, though. Don't see it getting much bigger than that unless Leslee Smith comes back.

- After the horrendous 1/10 start at the line, they finished 17/21 the rest of the way. That was a weird blip on the radar, I think, but it was in that stretch when I thought we might be in for a long night.

- Thought we shared the ball better today. Maybe we'll look back and say the Rhode Island game got their attention a bit. 

Alright, done for tonight. All things considered, not a bad win. 

Nebraska was +19 when Moses was in the game. I mentioned it in the game thread but I think he needs to start next game. He's been more efficient for the team so far. Plus a spark off the bench may just be what the doctor ordered for Walt. Miles obviously hoped moving Benny would help Tai and the team maybe Walt needs the same jolt.

I think we controlled the game well once we came back and got the lead. Petteway does need to cut down the turnovers. For all the hollering about his shot selection, TP was still 7/13 from the field, but just 1/5 on 3s. Once those bad shots start to fall I think we'll hear way less griping. Shields is such a smooth operator on the offensive end. You hardly notice he's scoring so much, then you look at the stat board and realize he's poured in that many points. The best part about this team is that we have multiple players who are threats to pour in 20 or 30 any given night. Walt slumping is a concern, but you have to think he'll hit stride right when we need him, when someone else hits a lull. Tai looks great. So confident, so aggressive. He exploded straight to the rim on a drive in the 2nd half. That's what we need him to do. Great assists and a nice block. I think we'll continue to get better and better. I think it's a little too early with everyone worried about this team being over ranked and overhyped or whatnot. We are just 4 games in. Last year at this point we had zero clue defensively and looked like a really bad team. It took almost to the end of non-conference and even in to conference before guys bought in to what it was going to take. We'll have some bumps in the road but Miles will have them playing great ball when it matters come February and March.

Entertaining game...it took Omaha having a fast start to get the fans arses out of their seats and get loud.  Shavon made a defensive effort play that got things rolling.  The two early technicals were perhaps earned, but you see the same talking in every college and pro game played.   After that crappy start (the first six minutes stunk) we played a very good game.  We need to learn how to start a game right.

* Shavon is a flat out stud.  That kid had a terrific game.  He will get the pub for his offense, but it was his defense that got us rolling.  But his offense was pretty darned good as well :)

* Terran had his ups and down.  But he had a couple exceptional stretches where he played good all around basketball.  He runs into problems when he goes too fast...if that makes sense.  He is going to be fine.

* Walt struggled, but more so in the first half.  He played better in the second half.  When he missed all three free throws at the start of the game, I almost had a stroke.  But then everyone was throwing bricks.  Like I said, his second half gives me hope that his game is coming back.

* Benny got the start.  I am still not convinced that is a move that I like.  But he made some exceptional energy plays that picked us up.  His defense is great, and he is no longer a liability on offense.

* David had a very pedestrian game tonight.  This may have been his worst game so far this year.

* Moses played good defense, set some good picks, occupied space and rebounded well.  He is (and I anticipate will continue to be) offensively challenged.

* Young Mr. Smith played within himself tonight.  You can tell he has a high basketball IQ.  Couple that with that athetic play where he stole the ball and took it in for a dunk was awesome.

* Tai played a bit fast in the first half, but his second half was great.  If that is a glimpse of what he could become, I am geeked.  I hope that the second half just got him his mojo back.

* An atta boy to Menke for banging down his 3...

Omaha is a good offensive team.  After the first six minutes, we did a nice job shutting them down.  Our offense also picked up after that span.  I believe we scored 73 points in the last 34 minutes.

Entertaining game...it took Omaha having a fast start to get the fans arses out of their seats and get loud.  Shavon made a defensive effort play that got things rolling.  The two early technicals were perhaps earned, but you see the same talking in every college and pro game played.   After that crappy start (the first six minutes stunk) we played a very good game.  We need to learn how to start a game right.

* Shavon is a flat out stud.  That kid had a terrific game.  He will get the pub for his offense, but it was his defense that got us rolling.  But his offense was pretty darned good as well :)

Omaha is a good offensive team.  After the first six minutes, we did a nice job shutting them down.  Our offense also picked up after that span.  I believe we scored 73 points in the last 34 minutes.

It was 73-44 in the final 34:57 of the ballgame. NU D suffocated Omaha. And Moses & Shields epitomized that suffocating D tonight.

-I like the idea of figuring out a way for Walt to come off the bench until he gets out of his funk. He isn't doing anything to help the team right now.

-Is Fuller THAT bad that he can't bring some 3 point shooting that Walt isn't?

-+19 for Moses? Hard to argue with that.

-The crowds have been bad the first couple of games. There is zero energy at PBA right now... Including the student section.

-Contrary to another thread, I really like Tai's game this year. He's really working hard on defense; a part of his game that will start developing on time.

PostGame notes from UNL

*-Tonight’s sellout crowd of 15,889 is the sixth-largest in Pinnacle Bank Arena history. 
*-The 16-point comeback matches Nebraska’s largest at Pinnacle Bank Arena (also vs. Indiana on Jan. 30, 2014). It also ties the fourth-largest comeback since the 1996-97 season. 
*-Shavon Shields finished with a career-high 35 points, topping his previous best of 33 set against Illinois on Feb. 13, 2014. Shields also matched the PBA record, which was 35 by Terran Petteway against Minnesota on Jan. 26, 2014.  
*-Shields climbed into NU’s career scoring list and now has 743 career points, which ranks 58th all-time. He is 22 points away from moving into the top 50 at Nebraska in program history. 
*-Shields also had a career high four 3-pointers, topping his previous best of three at Michigan State during his  freshman year.
*-Tai Webster matched his career high in assists, as he also had  His previous best was five, set three times last season. 
*-Terran Petteway posted his third career double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds. His 12 rebounds tied a career high set at Iowa on Dec. 31, 2013.
*-Nebraska has scored 80 or more points in all three home games this season. 
*-Nebraska held Omaha to a season-low 67 points after the Mavericks entered the contest averaging 90.3 points per game. UNO did shoot 41 percent, the highest against Nebraska this season. 
*-Benny Parker made his first start of the season and finished with a season-high four assists. 
*-Nebraska was a season-best +14 on the glass, out-rebounding UNO 42-28.

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles

On Benny starting and the role Parker and Tarin Smith played.

“I want to play Tarin. I think he can help us. I want to play Benny, obviously, and Tai, I’ve always kind of thought I wanted to get him to the two guard. This allowed Tai to come in for Terran (Petteway) or for Shavon (Shields) and not have to be that guy that’s fourth in the pecking order. I think he responded really well. I would say that 10 points and five assists is among one of his better performances for us.”

On what was different about Shavon Shields from earlier in his career

“Shavon has been the same since the summer. He’s playing with great confidence and poise. He’s taking what the defense gives him and when we run something for him, he scores most times. It works good.”

On the team’s performance

“I think we were more flat because of the Rhode Island game. We didn’t watch tape until Monday. We watched the game and it’s just a bummer. Then, here’s Omaha, get ready and their like ‘yeah, right.’ They made some tough shots, but we also made some defensive errors. They went on that huge run early. After that, I think we got our heads calmed down.”

On intensity of Omaha

“It was great. I loved it. That’s why we scheduled it. My thought is always we have to challenge this team. Look what happened when we weren’t up to the challenge. They were the first team to shoot over 40 percent on us this year.”

Omaha Head Coach Darrin Hansen 

Opening Statement 

"A couple things happened tonight. I thought we needed a quick start, and we got that, it was 23-7 at one point. I thought our guys played with a lot of confidence. I thought defensively we were really dialed in, as the first half wore on though we were not as good in our switches. I thought their guards were getting the ball and going downhill a bit and that hurt us some. In the second half, I liked our fight. We got it back to four points at one time, and then I just thought we did a bad job a couple times on transition. I thought we did a poor job handling the basketball giving them some run outs. That goes with 19 turnovers. You can’t have that against a team like Nebraska. When we do what we need to do, by moving the basketball and getting side to side setting ball screens, I thought we got the ball where we wanted it and were semi efficient. When we kept the ball on one side and let Nebraska's length and athleticism come into play, that is when it really hurt us, and they got some run outs and some separation in the game." 

On if there was some fatigue

"I think so. I think it played a little bit. Foul trouble did not help us tonight. I thought that came into play but that is the life we lead." 

On the start

"We have done that a few times and got some to go, but it was also fool’s gold too because it came kind of easy for us because we made shots. Then for the next four or five minutes, we had a couple of those quick shots again that did not go and they had some run outs or we turned the ball over and we weren't really good with. Again, it was great to have it, a bit of fool’s gold. I didn't do a good enough job managing it and managing our team and give us some better possessions.

On Shields 

"He has made tremendous progress. To see him play in high school and AAU and then to see him here with his development--Tim and his staff have done it has been tremendous. He was really good down the stretch, we couldn't do anything with him five six or seven feet away from the basket. He was too quick with the ball and was good with his back to the basket. He could face up and do some things, his skill level--he has obviously worked at it."  

Nebraska Guard Benny Parker and Forward Shavon Shields

On what was said to the team to flip the switch

Shields: “We have to do what we know to win. We turned it around and got our energy up and made plays to win.”

On what was lacking early on

Shields: “Stops. They scored 21 points in the first four minutes. They hit four three-pointers. We should probably get the shooters then, rebound, finish possessions. Actually, we didn’t even have a chance to get a rebound. Probably force some tougher shots so we can get some stops and get going.”

On his career high

Shields: I just tried to play within the offense and take shots when they come. They were falling tonight. I know I put in the work in for them to fall so, I didn’t change anything.”

On getting the start

Parker: “I started my freshman year so it kind of reminded me of that and I just had to get used to it. I got back into the flow of the game which we got over that first four minutes of the game.”

On Omaha’s big start

Shields: “They’ve played a ton of teams close. They played UNLV to one point. They played Iowa in a close game. They beat Marquette last week. They’re a good team. We know they are a good team so we just needed to regroup and do what we needed to do to win.”

Parker: “I wasn’t surprised. Coach said going into the game they average 90 points so they have to have a spurt like that. He just said to stick with the process and fight back like we’ve been doing. We just have to chop off each bucket at a time.”

On Parker’s approach as a starter

Parker: “I still do the same thing I usually do. It’s just knowing that I have to bring it out from the beginning of the game instead of coming in off the bench and bringing the intensity on defense.”

On when Shields felt he was going to perform well

Shields: “I couldn’t tell you. I just played within the offense and make plays when they present themselves and that’s what I tried to do.”

On how important Shavon is to the team

Parker: “He’s very important. He can do it all. He’ll get down and rebound for us, get us a bucket anytime, he’ll lock down his opponent whenever it’s clutch time. He’s a dependable teammate.”

Nebraska was +19 when Moses was in the game. I mentioned it in the game thread but I think he needs to start next game. He's been more efficient for the team so far. Plus a spark off the bench may just be what the doctor ordered for Walt. Miles obviously hoped moving Benny would help Tai and the team maybe Walt needs the same jolt.

+19 is pretty impressive. Also, Moses played 17 minutes, collected 7 rebounds, blocked 2 shots, and had 2 fouls tonight. That's pretty good, considering he couldn't seem to last more than 13 minutes at Georgetown without fouling out (or nearly so), averaging 2.8 rebounds and .7 blocks per game last year. Tonight's stats for Moses seem to represent some pretty good progress for three games into the season. Granted, there are lots of tougher opponents ahead, but the early Moses returns appear promising.

I think Moses had a good game tonight and is starting to look more comfortable on the floor.

He definitely brings some much needed rebounding and shot blocking ability to this team.

There is no offense there and right now he kills most every single fast break because he doesn't know where to go with the ball on a rebound.

The +19 thing?  How much of that was due to the start?  I have a hunch that Benny didn't have a great +/- this game.

We saw some more Tai-Benny-Webster at the same time tonight.

I didn't see it in the game thread, but UNO got away with 6 guys on the court towards the end of the game.

There was a small pocket of UNO students in the lower bowl near where I was sitting.  Sort of like the Mavs, they ran out of gas at the end. It's definitely a reason against selling booze in our stadium

- Moses was a stud on defense

- everybody loves Benny

- Pitch honestly just needs to knock down 2 in a row and the season will be changed

- I love how Walt isn't pouting out there, though. He is at least playing hard, even if he isn't hitting. Not selfish.

- Tai is smooth, he may turn it over a bit more than others, but when he does what he wants, it looks good

- Tarin and Benny have such quick hands. I absolutely love it

- thought we would get our first general public standing point in the season today. Came back from 23-7 and still can only get half the crowd to stand and cheer the next defensive possession. Looking forward to that first defensive possession where everyone is loud and standing

- scary team, happy with th outcome

- I want to see Nick play just once in halfway meaningful minutes

Defensive effort after the 23-7 deficit was the best I've seen it all year.  Guys digging in, scrapping for lose balls, chasing down every rebound.  We need that level of intensity every minute of every game for this team to be really successful.  Best defense we've played in some time.  

I about pooped my pants after the UNO start.  I'm not sure there is any particular reason for it but we need to stop with the slow starts.  ESPN stalled out with like 15 minutes left in the game so I didn't get to see the remainder of the game but it appears Tai had a good second half.  Good to see because I thought he struggled again in the first.  Pitchford? Maybe its still too early to be concerned but its all mental right now and I hope he shakes it soon.  Shields was in beast mode again...hopefully that continues.  His three ball was a thing of beauty last night as well. 

-The crowds have been bad the first couple of games. There is zero energy at PBA right now... Including the student section.

I thought tonight's crowd was really quite good. I think we're expecting too much if we think every game we're going to have an atmosphere like we saw down the stretch last year. That's just not gonna happen. Creighton will be a great atmosphere. Cincinnati, I hope will be good and I expect it to be good for most of the conference games, but expecting it to be good for games vs. teams like Central Arkansas, Tennessee-Martin or Incarnate Word, probably isn't going to happen.

i love it, it immediatly creates a spacing dynamic for shields and petteway, and creates a better match up for our bench. 

i love it, it immediatly creates a spacing dynamic for shields and petteway, and creates a better match up for our bench. 

And with it I'm not even saying to play Moses much more than he's playing now.  Like Manu Ginobili I think Walt could be deadly off the bench, still getting the lions share of minutes in the post.  But by having him off the bench it gives the second unit Tai, Walt, and Tarin some great scoring options.

And with it I'm not even saying to play Moses much more than he's playing now.  Like Manu Ginobili I think Walt could be deadly off the bench, still getting the lions share of minutes in the post.  But by having him off the bench it gives the second unit Tai, Walt, and Tarin some great scoring options.

Tai looked way more comfortable in that role has the first guy off the bench, Benny didnt seemed that affected either still just doing benny things that he always does. The Lineup we had out there showed they could hold off a run, induce a secondary run, and than hold a lead, and looked to mesh with the exception of walt, but think i move to the bench may cure that. This allows Terran, and Shavon to get rolling as the primary scorers, Moses, David, Benny to kickstart the defensive identity than your bring the scoring punch in and go for the throat...i like it. 

Tai looked way more comfortable in that role has the first guy off the bench, Benny didnt seemed that affected either still just doing benny things that he always does. The Lineup we had out there showed they could hold off a run, induce a secondary run, and than hold a lead, and looked to mesh with the exception of walt, but think i move to the bench may cure that. This allows Terran, and Shavon to get rolling as the primary scorers, Moses, David, Benny to kickstart the defensive identity than your bring the scoring punch in and go for the throat...i like it. 

How exactly did Tai look more comfortable coming off the bench?  He played good the second half but not the first half so don't think coming off the bench had any effect either way.  As for the starting lineup, not sure it really had any impact as we still got off to a slow start.  We gave up 21 points in the first 5 minutes so not sure how this "new" lineup shows it can hold off a run.  Regardless of Benny or Tai starts, we need to find a way to not dig a hole at the beginning of the game and try to crawl out of it or we will lose more games this year than we want to.