Are we over hyped? Or Just too high expectations for Miles 3rd yr

Hoops_Legend

I have been a Nebraska Basketball fan for over 27 years and I have been going to games since the late 80's under Danny Nee. I have been a season ticket holder since 1992 and in all that time since 1992 I have never seen the hype machine the program generated after NCAA appearance coming from everywhere. ESPN,CBS Sports, Sports Illustrated etc... The list goes on and on I have seen college basketball analyst pick the Huskers to finish has high has 2nd in the Big Ten. And then we watch the first three games of the season and the team is missing something the typo is very slow and uninterested and very lazy. The energy is just not there right now its almost like we lost something after Baylor I just don't know what it is I see the talent and pieces are in place but the energy is not there. Defense we look really good but offense is just not working right now for one Pettyway is presssing way too much and taking to bad of shot selection and not letting the offense come to him I think maybe he is putting too much pressure on himself to score 25 a game and I think MIles needs to get into his head and say "Hey Terran you don't have to Michael Jordan every night we enough on the roster for you to relax and just play smart basketball." The point guard thing needs to be Benny Parkers and Terrin Smith job right now those two play it pretty well I think Benny needs to be the starter his on ball defense maybe the best in Big Ten, Webster has just not developed like we all hoped he has gotten better tho just not to elite level which is ok because he is a good player coming off the bench for solid minutes. I think right now Shavon Shields is playing at a all Big Ten Level the guy has improved so much this is freshmen season he has looked great so far. The only down side is two this rebounding and Moses Abraham that guy is major bust and I really hope Leslee Smith comes back soon. 

I believe in Tim Miles I think he is one the best coaches in all College Basketball and truly believe that I think he has done an amazing job and will continue to do so.

My last thing I am going say I do think the pressure has gotten to heads our guys and we maybe a little over hyped and tad but I still believe this is a NCAA team and will end up in the final Top 25 poll wants we get over this rut where in.

EVERY YEAR THERE SHOULD BE THREE GOALS  

#1. NCAA TOURNEY;

#2. KICK CREIGHTON BLUEJAY ASS;

#3  WIN THE BIG TEN

We need to beat Creighton every time no matter what. NEBRASKETBALL needs to be the king of college basketball in this state.

GBR

Miles best days are ahead.  I had major concerns about his recruiting until this class.  He hit a grand slam.  It looks like he is working

hard on the upcoming recruiting class.

I feel it will be up and down this year and next.  The following season it will all come together, assuming he can land one top-flight recruit each year.

This team will live and die by defense.  That is what they have to buy into.  They are not a good offensive team that looks god awful at times when they take bad shots.  If they bring their defensive energy every night, take good shots, and score in transition when it allows this team will be able to go back to the NCAA tournament.

This team will live and die by defense.  That is what they have to buy into.  They are not a good offensive team that looks god awful at times when they take bad shots.  If they bring their defensive energy every night, take good shots, and score in transition when it allows this team will be able to go back to the NCAA tournament.

Understand what you are saying but Petteway is a 4th year JR.  Why is his shot still not much better.

Call my me a baby but when I went to the Husker basketball exhibition game and saw the NCAA TOURNEY banner with 2014 listed I almost cried because it was something I always wanted to see for 16yrs from a little kid to an adult. :)

It'll be nice to start putting up Sweet 16 banners someday.

Yeah, that.... in fact, I didn't even notice the 'appearance' banner. Final Four banners, I would DEFINITELY notice. ;)

Call my me a baby but when I went to the Husker basketball exhibition game and saw the NCAA TOURNEY banner with 2014 listed I almost cried because it was something I always wanted to see for 16yrs from a little kid to an adult. :)

Overall it helps us to have this sort of hype/attention on the program regardless of what happens this season.

We struggled last year learning how to simply win with little expectations.  This year the expectations of the season might be weighing us down a bit but winning with expectations is something we want so we need to acquire this ability as well.  Also, any sort of hype/attention/etc really really really helps with recruiting.  

A lot of what you said makes sense and sure enough Tai came off the bench this game.  That's the great thing about Tim MIles...underneath all the hype and energy is a pretty good basketball coach.  

It'll be nice to start putting up Sweet 16 banners someday.

Yeah, that.... in fact, I didn't even notice the 'appearance' banner. Final Four banners, I would DEFINITELY notice. ;)

It sure beats the "We watched the NCAA Tournament on TV" banners.

We...and our players...will be fine.

Oh I agree cwg, just wonder why Petteway's shot for as hard as the kid works still drops at the same rate.

Not speaking of Petteway specifically, but if you don't shoot properly all the work in the world won't make you a great shooter. Personally, I think he starts his shot way too high which gives it very little arch. That's why I think he shoots better with a hand in his face. That forces his shoulders back which raises the arm and gives him better arch. nebraska-beats-wisconsin-blog.jpg

We just simply aren't much better than last year.  It is the same guys for the most part.  The improvements you hope they make in the offseason is likely to be offset somewhat by a much tougher schedule, especially in league play.  Makes these non conference games very important.  I do think we will know how to win close games a little more, even though it did not show itself at RI.  Said all along, that my goal is to just make the tourney again.  I don't think we really are a top 25 team and while I hope I am wrong, I am not sure we will ever be there again this year.  Pitchford needs to find his stroke or there is very little chance IMO.  The good news is the future looks like it has staying power.  That is really the important thing. 

Oh I agree cwg, just wonder why Petteway's shot for as hard as the kid works still drops at the same rate.

Not speaking of Petteway specifically, but if you don't shoot properly all the work in the world won't make you a great shooter. Personally, I think he starts his shot way too high which gives it very little arch. That's why I think he shoots better with a hand in his face. That forces his shoulders back which raises the arm and gives him better arch. 

I'll take consistency over technique any day. If we have a player on our team that shoots granny shots, but gets 20 points a game and 80% shooting, I'll take it.

Not speaking of Petteway specifically, but if you don't shoot properly all the work in the world won't make you a great shooter. Personally, I think he starts his shot way too high which gives it very little arch. That's why I think he shoots better with a hand in his face. That forces his shoulders back which raises the arm and gives him better arch.

I'll take consistency over technique any day. If we have a player on our team that shoots granny shots, but gets 20 points a game and 80% shooting, I'll take it.
So would I. That's the point though. Rarely can you find a consistent shooter who doesn't have good form. I also know you were making a point, but won't get a granny shot off in a game situation. Shoulders back gives you more arch and allows you to get your shot off easier.

We just simply aren't much better than last year. It is the same guys for the most part. The improvements you hope they make in the offseason is likely to be offset somewhat by a much tougher schedule, especially in league play. Makes these non conference games very important. I do think we will know how to win close games a little more, even though it did not show itself at RI. Said all along, that my goal is to just make the tourney again. I don't think we really are a top 25 team and while I hope I am wrong, I am not sure we will ever be there again this year. Pitchford needs to find his stroke or there is very little chance IMO. The good news is the future looks like it has staying power. That is really the important thing.

I think this team four games into the season is much better than last years team four games into the season. I think we might be comparing this years early season version to our best memeries from last years team.

For one thing, if we saw this version of Shields 4 games into last year, we would have all been dancing in the streets.

We just simply aren't much better than last year. It is the same guys for the most part. The improvements you hope they make in the offseason is likely to be offset somewhat by a much tougher schedule, especially in league play. Makes these non conference games very important. I do think we will know how to win close games a little more, even though it did not show itself at RI. Said all along, that my goal is to just make the tourney again. I don't think we really are a top 25 team and while I hope I am wrong, I am not sure we will ever be there again this year. Pitchford needs to find his stroke or there is very little chance IMO. The good news is the future looks like it has staying power. That is really the important thing.

I think this team four games into the season is much better than last years team four games into the season. I think we might be comparing this years early season version to our best memeries from last years team.

For one thing, if we saw this version of Shields 4 games into last year, we would have all been dancing in the streets.

Shavon was hobbled by a knee injury for most of the non-conference schedule last year though.

I didn't see our game against Rhode Island but they look dreadful against Kansas.  That could be a very bad loss for us.

I don't want to speak for everybody else, but "bad loss" to me is losing to a team with a RPI 100+. There maybe a small +/- forgiveness for an overtime road game, but that's just looking at the best-case scenario of a bad situation.

Regardless of how they play against Kansas, as long as they can finish in the Top 100 RPI rankings, it is not a bad loss.

RI is not a real good team.  They have the type of team that will perform better at home as they need high energy as they are not a very good shooting oufit.   They had a nice crowd and they helped them immensly in that one.  Made a bad play seemingly every time we had a shot to separate.  Was disappointing to say the least. 

We played lousy against RI. It's one of those games you just put aside and move on. You have a clunker every once in awhile in hoop.

A year ago think about how we were against northern Illinois. Even though we are going on two cylinders, we are ahead of last year. We'll be fine. Walt and Terran will get it figured out.