uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 3 - Rhode Island

uneblinstu

This is the 2014 equivalent of our UAB loss a year ago.  We overcame that bad loss and will this one.  Just means we need to go on the road and win one we weren't expected to.  Wichita St. upset or Florida St (although that will be a bad loss w/ the way they are playing).  

Not a bad comparison.  I'd say the big difference between the two is that the UAB (and the UMass) game were two examples of games where we had no passion on defense.  We were pretty locked down on D most of last night.

Either way, I agree last night wasn't a "good" loss.  Maybe it can be a valuable loss if we learn our weaknesses early and adjust.  By the way, remember that 1983 NIT final 4 team that won 22 games?  And that 1994 team that won the Big 8 tourney and went on to their 4th consecutive NCAA tourney?  They lost their first road games to Montana and Appalachian St respectively.  That's what was on my mind after last night.  So there still is hope.

Can't stand looking at that box score.  3-20 from 3, if we hit just one of those we win the game.  We were getting great looks too, guys wide open and couldn't hit an uncontested jumper.  So frustrating.  

Also, the Matthews kid didn't shoot the ball well but was aggressive and attacked the basket, that's pretty clear by the 14 FT's he shot.  Hopefully Petteway was watching and learning.  It really came down to their star player making more plays than our "supposed" star player in Petteway.