uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 3 - Rhode Island

uneblinstu

- Shavon Shields is the man. He's becoming a legend.

- Petteway's gonna want to forget this game. Fortunately the ankle's not hurt to badly.

- Parker got a lot of minutes down the stretch. I like it.

- I don't think Walter's won a tip yet this year.

- Tarin Smith drove late in the game and got owned. Why was he the one taking the ball there?

- Webster had a nice little floater in the lane, but that's about it on the night.

- Pitchford's all out of sorts.

- Huskers didn't really handle overtime very well. 

- Jared Terrell hit a couple of big time shots in over time.

- The first half was just ugly. If they had shot even just a little better, it swings the whole game. 

- URI really tried to give this one to the Huskers with their free throw struggles. 

- Man, we've got such a long way to go in terms of rebounding. A long, long way to go...

- Sucks to lose, but there's a lot that will be useful for this team moving forward. 

That's all I have for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later. You guys can finish it up.

Before everybody starts freaking out, there were no surprises tonight. This is how we've been playing every game this season. We played a slightly better opponent and our mistakes caught up to us. Miles has shown a lot of concern with our play and it showed. We better grow up fast before the competition gets more difficult.

Before everybody starts freaking out, there were no surprises tonight. This is how we've been playing every game this season. We played a slightly better opponent and our mistakes caught up to us. Miles has shown a lot of concern with our play and it showed. We better grow up fast before the competition gets more difficult.

Summed up perfectly.  Our guys are gonna need to play with a whole lot more effort and urgency and soon.

-Ball needs to be in the Shavon's hands when it is clear Petteway is off his game.

-Pitchford should have won the tip in OT.  That is on the four other players, not Walt, as they all stood around and watched the ball.  Standing around and watching happened a lot tonight.  

-Our offense with Terran and Shavon is largely dependent on the ball screen.  Unfortunately, Moses is no threat offensively so when he is in, opposition can double hard without even taking into account Moses.  Walt's man can also hedge a little harder now as well due to Walt's slump.  RI gave him a ton of open looks tonight and weren't really respecting him as other teams did last year.

-I know Miles likes this group to play slow-tempo and a half-court game.  Really felt they needed to push the issue tonight on the offensive end and get out and pressure more defensively.

-No more zone please.  We were fine in man second half and for whatever reason switched and RI went on a little run and took the lead.  

-No development at PG and no post presence is really going to hurt this team.  As of right now, unless those things get better, we are looking at a NIT team.  

Welp. So much for picking up where we left off last season and avoiding any non-conference hiccups. That was pretty much atrocious on all levels. As was mentioned, if we shoot even slightly better in the first half we probably have a 10 point lead. However, Miles will probably be barking during film session to like the three but LOVE THE RIM. We were in the bonus in the first half, and had we attacked instead of launching away, things would've gone better. Petteway needs to get things figured out. He's a marked man now and teams are playing him to keep him out of the lane. He's got to just chill out and let things come to him more. He needs to know when he can take it and draw a foul and when he should give it up. The offense kind of goes stagnant when he's got ball in hand. That's on the rest of the guys too. After the rolled ankle, with TP benched, we had a couple nice possessions. He comes back in, we are up 3 with a chance for a 2 possession lead and he immediately launches a 3, misses, and it leads to a game tying 3 for URI. He also left his feet a couple times and flung horrible passes. Too many turnovers. Walt needs to hit a couple shots. That's all it's going to take to get him going. They'll get it figured out, but tonight was not what we wanted.

I think it's time...time for Tai to find the bench. He just doesn't do much for us. Give him minutes...but Benny should play as many minutes as possible over him. Petteway was brutal...we won't won't many games if he continues that shot selection vs solid teams. He needs to forget about the NBA and just play. Shields was the bright spot. Pitchford..no idea on him. Looks like it's mental at this point. We are not a very good team right now...but lots of games left.

I asked this in the game thread and I'll ask it here: Right now, what do we have to be genuinely happy with regarding our play this season?

Shields, obviously. Parker has played well. Rivers has done some good things. We're getting to the free-throw line.

Anything else? That's not a lot of positives considering we were a preseason Top 25 team.

- One of the worst halves I've ever seen Terran play, and the 1st wasn't much better.

- Benny and Shavon were about the only 2 willing to go to the rack consistently

- really didn't understand going to the zone this game. We had like 4 possessions of zone and they scored on all but 1. Then went to it late in the game.

- happy with the man to man defense, but struggled on defense

- Rivers was passing up some high quality shots

- Very ugly game, a little concerned about UNO.

Miles just said that this will not end up being a bad loss for the Huskers.

I know Tim feels that way, but I disagree.  I really wasn't impressed with Rhode Island tonight.  They will be a work in progress this year and will finish the year outside of the RPI top 100.  

100% agree

- One of the worst halves I've ever seen Terran play, and the 1st wasn't much better.

- Benny and Shavon were about the only 2 willing to go to the rack consistently

- really didn't understand going to the zone this game. We had like 4 possessions of zone and they scored on all but 1. Then went to it late in the game.

- happy with the man to man defense, but struggled on defense

- Rivers was passing up some high quality shots

- Very ugly game, a little concerned about UNO.

Went to the zone because foul trouble?  That would be my best guess.

Not enough ball movement. It always seems to stop at #5 and then he decides to make something happen.

We dont rotate the ball from side to side.

Too much dribbling and not enough passing

Agree here. Miles' offense kinda runs with more dribbling but it is like play stopped when TP had the ball. The rest just kind of watched and waited for TP to make his move.

Im watching the Wisconsin game and Bo Ryan will pull his guys from the game if they make a turnover regardless if its Gasser, Frank, Nigel, Koenig, Dekker or Jackson they will sit and he will put them back in after some thinking time on the bench.

Coach Miles may want to look into that because I dont care what kind of player you are for your team but 8 turnovers by one player is not good.

Miles just said that this will not end up being a bad loss for the Huskers.

I know Tim feels that way, but I disagree.  I really wasn't impressed with Rhode Island tonight.  They will be a work in progress this year and will finish the year outside of the RPI top 100.  

Rhode Island may have some talent but they tried like hell to lose this one. The second of the "big" threes in overtime was a terrible shot. Going in does not make it a good shot. They continued to foul when ahead, including on a three point shot. They tried to give it to us but we didn't want it. They did so many not so smart things during the end game and Nebraska just didn't take advantage of them. Pettaway is good enough to go early in the NBA draft but that doesn't change the fact he needs to cut down his turnovers and have better shot selection. I HATE the forced three when you are down two possessions. Attack the basket, get the two (the defense will almost always give the layup because they are taught not to foul - but this team would have fouled. (Did I mention they were just absolutely stupid down the stretch?) and extend the game.