uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 2 - Central Arkansas

uneblinstu

By my count, Miles played 19 different sets of players on the floor last night.  Surprisingly, the group that did the worst from a +/- perspective was the starting unit. 

I applaud the effort but college basketball +/- tend to be worthless, especially on the game level.

By my count, Miles played 19 different sets of players on the floor last night.  Surprisingly, the group that did the worst from a +/- perspective was the starting unit. 

I applaud the effort but college basketball +/- tend to be worthless, especially on the game level.

I agree if you are looking at it to evaluate individuals.  I will disagree in that in that it is very helpful when looking at it from a lineup perspective and trying to find winning rotations.   

Here are ind

I agree if you are looking at it to evaluate individuals.  I will disagree in that in that it is very helpful when looking at it from a lineup perspective and trying to find winning rotations.   

Does the +/- take into account the opposing players who are on the floor at the time?  If not, wouldn't you have to factor that into the formula. 

If LeBron is playing against Kobe, his stats are going to look different than if he was playing against a less skilled player.  In the game last night, it seemed that CA starters were off the floor by the first media time out.  If so, are you comparing apples to apples?

Here are ind

Does the +/- take into account the opposing players who are on the floor at the time?  If not, wouldn't you have to factor that into the formula. 

If LeBron is playing against Kobe, his stats are going to look different than if he was playing against a less skilled player.  In the game last night, it seemed that CA starters were off the floor by the first media time out.  If so, are you comparing apples to apples?

Not trying to get in an argument about +/-.  I was more interested in seeing how many different lineups Miles played last night and the +/- was easy enough to track when I was pulling that research, so I did and shared my findings.  Take from it what you would like.  

I was more interested in seeing how many different lineups Miles played last night and the +/- was easy enough to track when I was pulling that research, so I did and shared my findings.  Take from it what you would like.  

Actually, I'd be interested in the sheer number of minutes that groups have played together on the court. If you're going to be putting together the stats from last game as well please post.  Thanks in advance.

• Jordan Howard is a solid little player. How does the best player in Arizona end up at Central Arkansas?

I heard that too and its subjective.  he lead the state in scoring but was far from "the best" player in the state.  Arizona had 2 4 stars and 10 3 stars in the last recruiting cycle.  Howard was not ranked.

• Jordan Howard is a solid little player. How does the best player in Arizona end up at Central Arkansas?

I heard that too and its subjective.  he lead the state in scoring but was far from "the best" player in the state.  Arizona had 2 4 stars and 10 3 stars in the last recruiting cycle.  Howard was not ranked.

I can tell you that until this year Russ Pennell was coaching in the state of Arizona since 1998 so that's how he would get in on a kid from Arizona

Somebody up the thread, I think maybe Norm, asked about Fuller struggling with more than just the broken nose and suggested feet. Somebody in a different thread after game one reported that they had heard Fuller was also dealing with turf toe. That would support the observation by-without scrolling up-I think Norm that Fullers feet were bothering him.

Somebody up the thread, I think maybe Norm, asked about Fuller struggling with more than just the broken nose and suggested feet. Somebody in a different thread after game one reported that they had heard Fuller was also dealing with turf toe. That would support the observation by-without scrolling up-I think Norm that Fullers feet were bothering him.

Nah, it wasn't me.

Nah, it wasn't me.

Well you made me scroll. Turns out it was Silver.

Miles cited the +/- of the starting group (in Points per Possession) of his starting lineup today is presser.

Belated kudos for the clarification on player +/- vs lineup +/-

Parker, Petteway, Shields, Rivers, Pitchford was plus 7 in less than 2 minutes of play.

Parker, Petteway, Shields, Rivers, Abraham was also plus 7 in about 2 1/2 minutes of play.

Those were our top groupings.  Outside of garbage time, the next best group was ...

Parker, Webster, Petteway, Shields, Abraham, which was plus 5 in just under 5 minutes of play.

The next two best groups, each plus 4 were ...

Parker, Webster, Petteway, Shields, Rivers in about 1 minute and

Parker, Smith, Shields, Rivers, Pitchford in about 5 minutes of game time.

I think I see a pattern here.

By the way, the starters -- Webster, Petteway, Shields, Rivers, Pitchford -- were -4 at the start of each half and a total of minus 9 for the game.

The most productive groupings, I mean, Benny Parker.  What can you say?  Parker and Shields first.  Then Parker, Shields and Petteway.  Then, probably, Parker, Shields, Petteway and Rivers.

Webster gets in there for a couple of the best groupings and so does Pitchford.  But not at the same time.   Hmmmmmmmm.