The Point Guard Depth

BigP50

If I remember, I would like to post a daily topic that drums up some more conversation. I know I am not one of the veterans on the board, but I'd like to think I have a good knowledge of Nebraska Basketball, and college basketball as a whole. 

The first one topic I was thinking of was the depth at the PG position. Tim has already mentioned that he has a group of six guys that he would play against anyone. That list includes two point guards, Benny Parker and Tai Webster. Beyond those two, lets not forget that true freshmen, Train Smith, is also a big time player, and it would seem that he can contribute right away. He may be set back because of that illness, but I would imagine that he is working hard every day in order to get some minutes this year.

The thing that I like most about the depth is that each guy has a different speciality. If Nebraska is playing a team like Indiana, then Benny Parker is a great matchup against a guy like Yogi Ferrell. Yogi is explosive and can shoot from any where on the court, but with Benny on him, his job becomes a lot harder.

In a game against a team that has a more defensive oriented point guard, the Huskers can then throw Tai Webster out there to balance out the defense and offense. 

While we havent seen much of Smith, it seems like he is a two way player that can do a little of both. Since he wasn't in "Miles' 6", I can't imagine that he will get starter minutes, but it is possible that he could get good minutes. Webster is versatile and can play the 2, so if that situation ever needs to happen, Smith or Parker could be on the floor with Webster, depending on the match ups, foul situation, and things like that.

Thoughts?

Good topic and post. You bring up a good point in each possessing a different skill set. The bottom line with Miles, as we've seen, is that you absolutely have to be able to play on the defensive end to see meaningful minutes. That, right now, is what's separating the "six that (Miles) will play against anyone" vs. the others.

We know what we're going to get with Benny. He's an absolute game changer on the defensive end. One area of improvement that I'd like to see out of him is his ability to push transition and create 2-on-1s and 3-on-2s. in most cases, Benny is going to be the fastest player on the floor. He also comes up with a lot of steals. Watch Ty Lawson come up with a steal and turn it into an easy two. We need to see plays like this out of Benny:

To me, Tai is the most intriguing player (out of the three). Last year he showed us glimpses of being a really good player, but it was apparent that he wasn't 100% comfortable playing to the speed of the American game. Playing in the World Cup in addition to having a year acclimating to life half-way around the globe is going to pay big dividends. Remember Tai leading the team in free throw attempts in the early portion of non-con last year? He was getting to the line because he was getting to the rack with confidence. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with him, lack of ability was never an issue. I think he's poised for a big year.

Tarin will give us minutes just as long as he can guard his position in the Big Ten. To me, he appears to be the most natural point guard on the roster. Those in the know have clamored about both his basketball IQ and his ability to create for teammates. It doesn't sound like much, but if he can come in and contribute 2 assists per game at that position, that will be great contribution.

Interesting topic. 

I'm hoping Tarin Smith is NOT the 7th best player on the roster, but it's possible that he is.  And that would mean we have a glut of point guards and a lack of depth in the post.

Fortunately, Tai is showing the ability to play the 2 guard role if he needs to and he can be on the floor with Benny or Tarin at the same time.  Last year, with both Benny and Tai being somewhat offensively challenged, it would have been tough to have them on the floor at the same time but this year, they both look better shooting the ball.  In order to keep fresh legs, that might mean that Miles will have to rotate everyone else up a spot so that Tarin can share some minutes with Benny at the point.  Provided, of course, that Tarin gets things figured out defensively.

In the exhibition, Tarin was really having trouble fighting through/around screens on the defensive end and was losing his defensive assignment.  He's going to have to get that figured out in order to see much PT. 

I'm hoping Tarin Smith is NOT the 7th best player on the roster, but it's possible that he is.  And that would mean we have a glut of point guards and a lack of depth in the post.

I'm hoping that Tarin is better than the 7th best player on the roster because that would mean we have a really good player.

I'm hoping that Tarin is better than the 7th best player on the roster because that would mean we have a really good player.

In a sense, yeah, I agree with that.  But the problem is what it would say about the other players if Tarin is the 7th best player on the roster.  It could have really good implications for Tarin or it could have really bad implications for whoever's behind him.

Tim Miles is looking for a scoring PG...aka "The combo guard".

I think he prefers to have a slasher at this position but given our current team would definitely play a shooter.

The thing that I like most about the depth is that each guy has a different specialty.

The downside is ATM we don't have a PG on the roster that has demonstrated enough of a well rounded game to necessitate playing time regardless of the situation.

Benny has been an offensive liability.  

Tai has been a scoring guard playing PG.

Tarin has reportedly been a defensive liability and is untested in Div I ball.

I'm not sure if you'll ever see all three on the floor at the same time.

Unless T-Smith proves to be a major scoring option, I don't think you'll see a lot of Parker-Smith lineups.

At this point it seems like Webster guarding the two with either Smith or Parker playing point is the most likely scenario for them playing together. If Tai can break through this year, you'll see him playing with Benny quite a bit.

Is Tarin the best scoring PG we have on the roster? Perhaps Miles can use him in a Deverell Biggs (minus the baggage) type roll....especially if we need to play Moses for extended minutes.

I would love for Tarrin to be the best pg on the roster, I don't want to put a number on it because other situations and lineups mean often times others may be higher. Tarrin being best PG means we can see some really good lineups where you basically replace him for Rivers. Each player slides down a spot. You can still spell Tarrin with Benny, which means Benny can do what he does as a spark off the bench and a relentless defender.