WBB: Exhibition Game #1

Row6Seat10

#16 Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. #6 Wayne State Wildcats

Sunday, Nov. 2, 2 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Social Media: twitter-bird-16x16.png@HuskersWBB   facebook%20emblem.png Nebraska Women's Basketball

Radio: IMG College Husker Sports Network (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)
Free Live Audio: Huskers.com
Tickets: Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED

LULCISWDVJFHEVU.20141014162254.jpg

No. 16 Huskers Open Exhibition Play with Wayne State

The Nebraska women’s basketball team begins its 2014-15 exhibition season by taking on Wayne State College on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

The game, which marks the first meeting between the Huskers and Wildcats in women’s basketball since January of 1979, will be carried with free live audio by the Husker Sports Network on Huskers.com.

Sunday’s matchup between Nebraska and Wayne State promises to offer quality early season action. The Huskers return four All-Big Ten starters. Honorable-mention AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten point guard Rachel Theriot rejoins seniors Emily Cady (second-team All-Big Ten), Tear’a Laudermill (second-team All-Big Ten) and Hailie Sample (Big Ten All-Defensive).

Wayne State returns three starters from a 28-5 team that won the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference regular-season title for the third time in the last four years. The Wildcats have earned trips to the NCAA Division II Tournament four times in the last five years and were recently picked No. 6 nationally in the Division II Women’s Bulletin Preseason Top 25.

Probable Starters

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - Sr. - F
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - Sr. - F
22 - Allie Havers - 6-5 - So.- C
33 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Jr. - G
1 - Tear’a Laudermill - 5-9 - Sr. - G

Wayne State Wildcats

44 - Jordan Spencer - 5-11 - Sr. - F
3 - Alex Nelson - 6-0 - RFr. - F
31 - Katie Hoskins - 6-2 - Jr. - F
21 - Sadie Murren - 5-8 - Jr. - G
12 - Ashton Yossi - 5-8 - Sr. - G

-------------------------------------------------------

Ex-Husker Sadie Murren visits the PBA for her first game in a Wayne State uniform. She is slated to start for the Wildcats at the guard position.

Nebraska and Wayne State have met 10 times in the past each winning 5 times.

Heading into the exhibition opener, Nebraska has already sold a school-record 3,887 season tickets for the 2014-15 campaign.

Finally !.........start of the season.

Other sites list Kalenta as starting, but since she got her nose broken by Washington's elbow....maybe Havers will start instead. Kalenta must have been doing pretty well in practice to even get considered to start.

But regardless, it's very early and more games to get some floor time for the freshman.

Wayne State has a pretty good record in their division..lost a couple of good ones to graduation.

Don't think I'd put too much stock in who's starting during these exhibition games. If you remember back to our last season in our first exhibition game Hannah Tvrdy and Brandi J both started.  I don't think we'll see the original 4 starters get much more than 15 minutes in these exhibition games either as opposed to wanting to get the new players in and getting a chance to see how they do against competition other than their teammates and practice players in practice. That is unless we fall behind in the score. I tend to think that the coaches will mix and match all through the game hoping to get a glimpse of who plays well with who and in what situations. 

My money's on:

Tee getting 4 or more breakaway layups

Hailie Sample with double digits in rebounds

Combined freshmen points in the contest - 20+

And the fan sitting next to you asking "you think we're going to miss JHoop this season"!

Don't think I'd put too much stock in who's starting during these exhibition games. If you remember back to our last season in our first exhibition game Hannah Tvrdy and Brandi J both started.  I don't think we'll see the original 4 starters get much more than 15 minutes in these exhibition games either as opposed to wanting to get the new players in and getting a chance to see how they do against competition other than their teammates and practice players in practice. That is unless we fall behind in the score. I tend to think that the coaches will mix and match all through the game hoping to get a glimpse of who plays well with who and in what situations. 

My money's on:

An the fan sitting next to you asking "you think we're going to miss JHoop this season"!

Well let me get the ball rolling Row 6, Do you think we're going to miss JHoop ? :o DUH I thought it was interesting that Anya would start ahead of Havers, but I guess the coaches know what they have in Havers.

My money's on:

An the fan sitting next to you asking "you think we're going to miss JHoop this season"!

Well let me get the ball rolling Row 6, Do you think we're going to miss JHoop ? :o DUH I thought it was interesting that Anya would start ahead of Havers, but I guess the coaches know what they have in Havers.

Probably right....just trying to get as many new feet (Kalenta) on the floor.... as soon as possible. 

Yori wants rebounders, and Kalenta was a good rebounder in JC......12 or so per game. But just had nose surgery...nose might be a little tender....(had one my self playing football)

My money's on:

Probably right....just trying to get as many new feet (Kalenta) on the floor.... as soon as possible. 

Yori wants rebounders, and Kalenta was a good rebounder in JC......12 or so per game. But just had nose surgery...nose might be a little tender....(had one my self playing football)

I've had a broken nose as well, was very careful with it. She likely won't play. anyone have thought s on if she plays or not.

First impressions not too bad.  Concerned where our interior defense will come from.  Freshmen as expected looked lost on defense except for possibly Romeo.

Looks like there is potential here, but we will have to be patient.

Maybe that's why Yori moved Sample to the post is for her defensive prowess. Yori said on her post game show that when Sample moved over to guard WSU post Sample shut her down.

First impressions not too bad.  Concerned where our interior defense will come from.  Freshmen as expected looked lost on defense except for possibly Romeo.

Maybe that's why Yori moved Sample to the post is for her defensive prowess. Yori said on her post game show that when Sample moved over to guard WSU post Sample shut her down.

Agree.  Just don't think that will work against the Purdues of the world.  Hopefully the youngsters will come along with Havers.

Wasn't able to take in the game....other stuff going on today.

I expect the seniors looked prety well ahead of the young ones.

Anyone have some highlights of the game ?.....which of the newbies shows geting ready to play maybe the quickest?

Overall impressions? Or is just too soon to see?

I think you got a reason to be concerned with the interior defense and our rebounding could suffer also. The Wayne St guards penetrated the lane all day. Little Sadie made it all the way to the bucket practically everytime she touched the ball. No help defense to be seen. Our biggest loss from last year may turn out be Coach Sunny not JHoop!

Starting five looked good! Emily's a stud, Rachel's living up to the hype, Tee picked up from last March, Brandi Jeffery is in top form and Hailie Sample just needs to get a little more comfortable in the post. Natalie Romeo will be a good one! You can tell she was well coached in high school. Allie H hit some nice jumpers but needs to get tougher positioning herself under the bucket.

Disappointed in our coach not playing the bench more and getting them some experience they need to compete at this level. Your up by 30 some points in the second half and you still have your starters in? It's an exhibition game put in the newbies! It just about cost us the services of Emily when the Ballinger girl from Wayne just about broke her jaw with about 5 minutes to go in the game!

We have the number 9 ranked recruiting class coming in this year and we get Kaylee Page in the game for maybe 10 minutes, we saw 5 minutes of Darrien Washington who made the best of her time out there, 4 minutes of Jasmine Cincore and Emily Wood both who played like a minute and both were taken out of the game only to come in a little later. Someone tell our coach you're up by 40 and it's an exhibition game! 

It was good to get back into PBA!  Hard to tell much from such a lopsided game, and I'm sure there were first game jitters for a number of the girls.  The starters were great, and I was very happy to see Brandie play so well.  I also thought Havers did a good job coming off the bench.  I think Romeo will see significant playing time, and I actually thought little Emily Wood played well for the few minutes she was out there.  She was scrappy, and I like to see that in players.  I was not blown away by Anya, but I suspect her broken nose was bothering her a bit.  She needs to be more aggressive.  Washington wasn't the quickest girl in the world, but she has strength and I think more upside to her that will develop over time.  I'm really looking forward to seeing Chandler Smith play because I suspect that she will be the star of this freshman class.

The other girl that I thought played well was Esther.  I think she will be able to come off the bench and spell a person for a few minutes.  Hope she settles down with her shot.

I agree with you on Anya K huskerchode. I think that facemask she was wearing was bothering her a little. That could have been the first time she wore it in actual game setting. I noticed more than a few times down the court that she was always adjusting it. I really like what Natalie Romeo showed in her first game also. The future is really bright for her. There were a few times late in the game when she showed glimpses of how she should be able to penetrate the lane pretty easily.

Also there's a little chatter and I hope they're wrong, that Chandler may be out more than a couple weeks.

It was good to get back into PBA!  Hard to tell much from such a lopsided game, and I'm sure there were first game jitters for a number of the girls.  The starters were great, and I was very happy to see Brandie play so well.  I also thought Havers did a good job coming off the bench.  I think Romeo will see significant playing time, and I actually thought little Emily Wood played well for the few minutes she was out there.  She was scrappy, and I like to see that in players.  I was not blown away by Anya, but I suspect her broken nose was bothering her a bit.  She needs to be more aggressive.  Washington wasn't the quickest girl in the world, but she has strength and I think more upside to her that will develop over time.  I'm really looking forward to seeing Chandler Smith play because I suspect that she will be the star of this freshman class.

The other girl that I thought played well was Esther.  I think she will be able to come off the bench and spell a person for a few minutes.  Hope she settles down with her shot.

I tried watching the game on husker vision but it was having issues. But the little i did see Anya, it seemed she runs the floor well.