Question on redshirting.

Norm Peterson

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember redshirts playing in exhibition games in the past.  Transfers are not allowed, but I think redshirts are okay.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, for instance, Biggs could have played in the exhibition the year he, Pitchford and Petteway sat out.  But Pitchford and Petteway would have had to watch from the bench.  Is that about the size of it?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember redshirts playing in exhibition games in the past.  Transfers are not allowed, but I think redshirts are okay.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, for instance, Biggs could have played in the exhibition the year he, Pitchford and Petteway sat out.  But Pitchford and Petteway would have had to watch from the bench.  Is that about the size of it?

Deverell Biggs did play in that exhibition game, and then sat out the rest of the season...

Transfers - Can practice with team, but cannot dress for games or travel with the team (because they aren't eligible to play).

Voluntary Redshirts - Can practice with team, dress for games and travel with team (because they are eligible to play). In this situation, a player who intends on redshirting may choose to "take off his redshirt" and begin playing during the season if he's needed due to injury or if he develops faster than expected. However, once he enters a game, he is no longer eligible for a redshirt year. Redshirts can NOT, however, play in exhibition games, except as described below.

Only eligible freshmen can participate in exhibition games, and then redshirt that season - upper classmen can NOT. Per NCAA rules, Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitus should have forfeited a season of eligibility when he played in exhibition games his sophomore year before sitting out the season. Following an appeal, The NCAA granted him an exception, but did give him a 4-game suspension.

Creighton had a juco transfer who played in their exhibition game last year and then sat out the rest of the season, purporting to redshirt. The way I read cwg's post, that should have counted as a year of eligibility for him, right?

You didn't happen to notice that Nebraska had Deverell Biggs play in their exhibition 2 yrs ago (see my post above). Juco's would be considered "1st-yr D-1 players" in that they can 'voluntarily' redshirt...