Petteway

bball23

He was on Nick Bahe's show today....

I hope I link this correctly.

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/10_30_14_Seg_9__Terran_Petteway-1414693219.mp3

Good interview.

Nice interview.  He's going to have a great year...and it will be very interesting to see where he projects to the NBA.  The more and more I look at it I'm not sure he leaves.  Can you imagine the roster next year if he stays?  :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

He was on Nick Bahe's show today....

I hope I link this correctly.

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/10_30_14_Seg_9__Terran_Petteway-1414693219.mp3

Good interview.

Nice interview.  He's going to have a great year...and it will be very interesting to see where he projects to the NBA.  The more and more I look at it I'm not sure he leaves.  Can you imagine the roster next year if he stays?  :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

Yeah.  He'll be sharing touches with Andrew White, the guy who scored 18 last night.

If Terran wants to be in the spotlight, this is the year for him to do that, to showcase his skills.  I think we'll be fine next year even if Terran leaves.  I'd just like to see us get one more guy who can take it to the rack the way he can.  He scores in so many different ways but he's especially gifted at creating his own shot in the first and second levels.

Comes in at #17 on Gary Parrish's Top 100 players for 2014-15

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24773610/cbssportscoms-top-100-players-in-college-hoops-for-2014-15

1905128.jpg17. TERRAN PETTEWAY

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Casual fans might not know him, but the Nebraska senior (18.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG) is the primary guy responsible for this Cornhusker transformation. Petteway is a feared/respected player in the Big Ten and a guy Tim Miles will rely on to earn a single-digit seed come March. -- MN

Great interview. I liked when he talked about how Miles tells them to just be loose and go out there and have fun, but at the same time he can get on you when you're not doing your job. You can tell he loves playing for Miles. When you love playing for a coach and will do anything for him, it makes the team really come together and I think we saw that very clearly in the run we made last year. Can't wait to see what this season and the coming seasons under Miles has in store. Terran will lead the way again this year and will be an asset to whomever he gets drafted by. Go Big Red!

Comes in at #17 on Gary Parrish's Top 100 players for 2014-15

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24773610/cbssportscoms-top-100-players-in-college-hoops-for-2014-15

1905128.jpg17. TERRAN PETTEWAY

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Casual fans might not know him, but the Nebraska senior (18.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG) is the primary guy responsible for this Cornhusker transformation. Petteway is a feared/respected player in the Big Ten and a guy Tim Miles will rely on to earn a single-digit seed come March. -- MN

Casual fans may not recognize the "senior"

Can't believe he has Dekker 4th & Petteway outside the top 15.. Thats interesting to say the least. 

Thing is most people think about players in term of their NBA potential.  Happens in every sport that people value you them based on where they think they will get drafted.  Petteway is not on any major mock draft right now which will lead people to not include him on their lists.  We obviously have a more vested interest in him because he is our star player so we may value him more than someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight when it comes to ranking.  I'm just happy to have a guy on the list and know that our team will be just fine.

His graduation in May no doubt carries alot of weight, but I'm guessing the chance to play with White might be TOO tempting to pass up...... also how far we advance in the Tourney will be a factor

I think winning a tournament game will be the biggest deciding factor when all is said and done.  I think the NBA is his biggest dream and striking when the iron is hot is the best chance so with his degree in hand it will be tough to pass up unless he has unfinished business that supercedes his dream.

As far as playing with Andrew White, it seems nice, but playing with and against the best in the world while getting paid would be more enticing. 

Can't believe he has Dekker 4th & Petteway outside the top 15.. Thats interesting to say the least. 

Thing is most people think about players in term of their NBA potential.  Happens in every sport that people value you them based on where they think they will get drafted.  Petteway is not on any major mock draft right now which will lead people to not include him on their lists.  We obviously have a more vested interest in him because he is our star player so we may value him more than someone that doesn't have a dog in the fight when it comes to ranking.  I'm just happy to have a guy on the list and know that our team will be just fine.

Most of the early season draft lists focus on player potential.  Petteway is already an "old" man by NBA draft standards.  Once a player hits 22 years old, most NBA teams believe the player's potential is close to maxed out and will draft based upon skill set and need.  That being the case, I am not sure if Petteway would lose much as far a draft positioning if he came back another year.

I am curious though whether Petteway has considered graduate school and would play another year at Nebraska.  What is his major?

I am curious though whether Petteway has considered graduate school and would play another year at Nebraska.  

It all comes down to draft projection...if he's not projected to go high enough he'll come back for another year.

But how much does he gain from coming back another year.  Lets say he is going to be a late 2nd rounder coming off of 2015.  Given his age and skill sets, does one actually believe anything he did in 2015/16 would move him that high up the draft boards?  I don't.  I just don't see his draft value increasing by coming back for his Senior season.  So, even though he may not be drafted very high out of this year, it would make sense for him to leave with degree in hand so he can start making money professionally.  

I am curious though whether Petteway has considered graduate school and would play another year at Nebraska.  

It all comes down to draft projection...if he's not projected to go high enough he'll come back for another year.

But how much does he gain from coming back another year.  Lets say he is going to be a late 2nd rounder coming off of 2015.  Given his age and skill sets, does one actually believe anything he did in 2015/16 would move him that high up the draft boards?  I don't.  I just don't see his draft value increasing by coming back for his Senior season.  So, even though he may not be drafted very high out of this year, it would make sense for him to leave with degree in hand so he can start making money professionally.  

Upperclassmen can and have moved up draft spots from season to season. With underclassmen, a scout will look at tape and spot a few plays that stick out and show their potential. But upperclassmen have to show tangible improvement to their game through the course of a season in order to work their way up draft boards. Good example would be Doug, who a lot of people thought would have been better off declaring for the draft after his junior season. He added fadeaways, some perimeter game and more dribble drive to his arsenal while still being effective and scouts moved him up from a late first round pick at the start of the year to solidly mid lottery before draft workouts began. If Terran still has room to improve his game (he does), and he has the benefit of playing in a high exposure conference like the B1G, then there's no reason to believe he can't improve his draft stock. At the end of the day, it's about how good a basketball player you project to be at the next level. If he elevates his game then scouts will have to take notice

Nice try bleujay, but we all know that (as much as we love him) Terran is no Doug.  Coming back for his señor season isn't going to take him him from a late first rounder to a lottery pick.

Some examples not named Doug McDermott from the '14 draft:

Nik Stauskas (lottery)

TJ Warren (14th)

Mitch McGary (21st)

Jordan Adams (22nd)

Call me crazy but if Terran improves his ballhandling, decision making, and shot selection (tall orders I know) then he would look like an attractive option for a team in the first round that needs young depth at the 2 or 3

Nice try bleujay, but we all know that (as much as we love him) Terran is no Doug.  Coming back for his señor season isn't going to take him him from a late first rounder to a lottery pick.

Some examples not named Doug McDermott from the '14 draft:

Nik Stauskas (lottery)

TJ Warren (14th)

Mitch McGary (21st)

Jordan Adams (22nd)

Call me crazy but if Terran improves his ballhandling, decision making, and shot selection (tall orders I know) then he would look like an attractive option for a team in the first round that needs young depth at the 2 or 3

You listed 4 sophomores.  Not sure how that even applies to this discussion about a guy thats a 4th year junior possibly gaining much by staying for his 5th year senior season.