Scrimmage

Norm Peterson

The format didn't allow much opportunity to evaluate the players in-depth.  I will say the women treated it more like a game and at least tried to play some D.  Which was nice.

Some highlights:

T:  If you were worried whether T was going to revert back to her old, inconsistent ways, the early returns are you have nothing whatever to worry about.  Extremely fast in the open floor, able to push the tempo, shot the ball well, had a great hesitation dribble move along the baseline, blew by the defender and scored.

I would say she needs to learn to finish a little stronger at the rim.  She could get to the rim at will but wasn't always finishing like I think she could.

Rachel:   Just wow.  Ability to take a game over.  Just wow.  She has such great feel and her passing is otherworldly.  Her lobs over the top of the D were placed perfect dang near all the time.  And she knew when to make the pass or when to take it herself.  She just looked really, really special.

Cady:  Started slow shooting, but her rebounding position is nearly flawless and she was snagging nearly everything.  A little hesitant posting up on the low blocks in the half court.  Started to find her range at the end of the scrimmage.  Then she came back and won the 3-pt contest final against Pitchford by nailing 12 of 25. 

Romeo:  Has the composure of a veteran.  I thought she looked really solid.  Didn't back down on D against Theriot.  Good handles, and showed some nice ability to penetrate.

Page:  Great length with athleticism.  Didn't start.  Seemed to settle in pretty quick to the flow when she got in.  Nailed her only 3-pt attempt.  Wasn't trying to do too much.  Thought she looked like a good player.

Washington:  A little flat footed.  "NBA body" if you will.  But slightly slow, maybe.  And the shot wasn't falling for her tonight.

Cincore:  Just didn't see much from her.  Didn't start.  Didn't see a lot of time on the floor.  Looked OK when she was out there. 

Kalenta:  Looked just a bit lost out there.  Still trying to figure out her role.  A little off on her spacing, for example.  Almost getting in the way setting screens.  Has an odd delivery with her shot.  Surprised she was such an offensive weapon in juco.  Can't say as I saw it.

Chandler Smith:  Walking boot.  Didn't suit up.

Overall:  Connie has some fantastic talent among the returning starters.  What she doesn't have is a Jordan Hooper or really anyone who looks like they could fill that role.  She has a couple of players who look like they have some promise but I'm not sure who that 5th starter will be.

Thanks for the report Norm, did Havers or Wood play ?

Yes, both.  Wood looked like a decent little sparkplug.  Hit a very nice jumper from just inside the arc IIRC.  Shot basically off the dribble going to her right, evading a defender.  Havers played but didn't have a chance to show much when you have T basically taking over.

Norm, thanks for the update.  I sure had over estimated Kalenta potential contributions to the team.  Hopefully, she will quickly learn the system and make significant contributions.  Initially, it sound like most of Hoppers last years production is going to have to be made up by the remaining starters from last year. 

She looked like a very good JC player who will take a bit of time to get use to the speed of the game. Also except for the little point guard the other new comers just had a little deer in the head lights look to their game. But you can see that they are players who at the end of even Novermber will be very much in tune with the D1 level of play. They are all ballers.