Passing the eye-test

Row6Seat10

We looked good, as a matter of fact real good for a 15 minute scrimmage. Not really enough time though to get a good read on how each player because of the split squad can contribute especially our 7 new ones. Started out a little sloppy but settled down a minute or two into the scrimmage. We were playing a four out one in offense. And in a man defense.

One thing I did pick up though, our four returning starters looked really good, give our newbies a little time to develop and we’re looking at another team dancing in March. From what little time we had to watch, Brandi Jeffery is our 5th starter. Brandi played pretty good on both ends of the court.

This is Emily’s team and you can tell she’s got it in another gear. She looked real good rebounding shooting and defending to go along with some good hustle plays. Emily looked good but so did Rachel and Tee. Rachel was her normal self and couldn’t miss a shot. Tee Laudermill has taken the phrase “speed kills” and uses it to her advantage. Not sure there’s a faster player in the conference.

Hallie Sample in what could be the best move of the year is playing the post. 

Natalie Romeo just looks like someone you want on your team. Good handles could become a deadly shooter from the outside and looks like she’s picking up the defense fairly good. She will see minutes.

Anya Kalenta could be a good serviceable back up for Emily. Could see minutes but needs a little time to get acclimated to this level of play. Shot a couple of times but I can’t remember if she scored or not.

Allie Havers looks like she got stronger had a nice block  and grabbed a couple of rebounds.

Kaylee Page got to play maybe 8 minutes, played on the wing, hit a 3 pointer, she looks like she’s eager to learn. Little shaky at the start, got caught behind a couple of screens but as the scrimmage progressed got more comfortable, should see the court in every game.

Jasmine Cincore didn’t play that much looked strong on defense but didn’t shoot the ball tonight.

Darrien Washington could become a fairly decent low post player, might take a little time. She did at times show flashes of what she might be able to develop into.

Emily Wood high energy player will become a fan favorite, hit a long jumper.

One can tell Esther Ramaceri is a better player from last year.

These young players need to see some real action and I think well see them start to progress and maybe by the time conference play rolls around we might have 2 or 3 new players looking to contribute productive minutes.

Chandler Smith sat on the bench with her foot in a boot. Looked like she’s nursing a sprain.

I thought that they looked very good for a team that had already had a 2 hours of practice before this like get together. I like how I think we will really have a chance to see a lot of players get good minutes, this will allow us to run some teams out of the gym with just our sheer numbers.

I will try to get to as many games as I can as they will be very fun to watch.

When I started typing mine, there were no other breakdowns of the scrimmage posted yet.  Sorry for the duplication but if some moderator can tack mine onto this thread, I'd be much obliged. 

Nice rundown, Row 6.  You  might be right on the 5th starter.  We'll have to take a look at the exhibition game to get a better glimpse of the other candidates, though.  I just thought the format last night was too brief.  Running 15 minute clock was like playing until the 2nd media timeout of the first half of a game.  Just not enough opportunity to really evaluate what you're looking at except for the few players who really stood out.

When I started typing mine, there were no other breakdowns of the scrimmage posted yet.  Sorry for the duplication but if some moderator can tack mine onto this thread, I'd be much obliged. 

Nice rundown, Row 6.  You  might be right on the 5th starter.  We'll have to take a look at the exhibition game to get a better glimpse of the other candidates, though.  I just thought the format last night was too brief.  Running 15 minute clock was like playing until the 2nd media timeout of the first half of a game.  Just not enough opportunity to really evaluate what you're looking at except for the few players who really stood out.

This is certainly the time to do some experimenting ....it will sure be interesting as the "pre season" goes on and see how the line up will all shake out...probably not fully completed even in the early games. Not much time to waste here on out.

It's great to see Cady step up and take over as "the" team leader. It is a progression that.... Yori probably has asked Cady to assume the lead.  And Emmily has taken charge :)

Great mines think alike Norm, I think your takes are basically running parallel with mine. I agree we need to see how they perform in these next two exhibition games to get some sort of gauge on how the newbies will progress. Our four starters from last season are heads and tails ahead of the rest but I don't think it'll take too much time for some of these youngsters to get in the groove of things. 

I think the thing I was most hoping for and we may see it in time, was with Allie Havers. Oh, she's progressed really well over the summer don't get me wrong. I was just hoping she had developed a sky-hook over the summer. Imagine trying to defend that, not sure anyone could stop her if she could master that feat.