Just a word to the wise ...

Norm Peterson

Just a word to the wise (so, the fools can just ignore and move on to a different thread).

We return pretty much the same team we had last year. 

What's that definition of insanity people keep using?

I expect most of our players to be incrementally better this year than they were last.  In fact, I think it's reasonable to anticipate that Tai Webster, in particular, has made some good strides.

I think we add some elements, including the shooting ability of Nick Fuller, that will give us some additional firepower.

As some have noted, we've lost a big contributor in Leslee Smith whose productivity is not likely to be replaced by Moses Ayegba.

There's been a lot of hype about this team, but the bottom line, people, is ...

DON'T LET REALITY BITE.  DON'T GET TOO CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE.

I think we'll be good again.  We should be even marginally better.  But we haven't brought in any lottery picks and the Big Ten didn't suddenly get weak during the off-season.

Our schedule will be tougher.

There are a lot of reasons to think we'll be better this year than last, but I would suggest some measured optimism.

Where KenPom has us to start the season, #34, is probably a pretty realistic place for us to start.  If that holds true, we're maybe in the 8 vs. 9 game in the NCAA tourney and not a lock for a tourney win, either.

Hey, I'm probably as optimistic and hopeful as anyone.  I just don't want to see the board melt down after our first loss.

That's all.

I agree with this sentiment, Norm.

While we could possibly replicate last year's cinderella run to a top 4 spot in the B1G, and there's no reason to think this team isn't capable of it, there's also no reason to expect them to do so, either.  This is an absolutely freakin' LOADED conference.  I have been very cautiously tempering my enthusiasm for the upcoming season for the very reason you mention above.

What's the old Casey Kasem line?  "Keep reaching for the stars but keep both feet planted on the ground" or something like that?  Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

I can't believe we'll come out of the gate as slow as last year. We get the Bearcats and Bluejays at home, and probably the Shockers on a neutral court. 

Here's what it really comes down to though:

Can we improve on an 11 - 7 Conference record? Several teams ahead of us lost some BIG time talent.

What will we get out of our "Unknown" commodities? Abraham, Fuller,Hammond, & Smith. Who knows, hopefully 1 or 2 blow up and the others are at least serviceable.  

I still will carry the expectation that we can win every game.  Sure it may be unrealistic...but...that is my expectation. 

I cant expect that in basketball.  Considering it hasnt happened since 1976 and only 8 times since 1939.  Thats like expecting to win the lottery because you bought a ticket imo. 

I can't believe we'll come out of the gate as slow as last year. We get the Bearcats and Bluejays at home, and probably the Shockers on a neutral court. 

Can we improve on an 11 - 7 Conference record? Several teams ahead of us lost some BIG time talent.

What will we get out of our "Unknown" commodities? Abraham, Fuller,Hammond, & Smith. Who knows, hopefully 1 or 2 blow up and the others are at least serviceable.  

I would be pretty happy with an 11-7 conference record again.  That should set us up for a pretty solid seed assuming we improve in the non-con.  This schedule is no joke...especially the Big 10 gauntlet. 

I still will carry the expectation that we can win every game.  Sure it may be unrealistic...but...that is my expectation. 

I cant expect that in basketball.  Considering it hasnt happened since 1976 and only 8 times since 1939.  Thats like expecting to win the lottery because you bought a ticket imo. 

Without looking, can you name the team UCLA lost to that ended their unbeaten streak following that stretch where they had back-to-back unbeaten seasons?

I'd be thrilled if we maintained that 11-7 record. Assuming we do have a better non-con, I wouldn't be disappointed if they finished 10-8. I think we're still middle of the pack, at best, in terms of overall talent. Still a couple years away, IMO from being in the top tier in that regard, but there's more than enough, barring injury, to get to that 10 or 11 win mark, which should be enough to get them in. My hope is they'll be undefeated going to Hawaii. FSU is their biggest challenge to that.

Without looking, can you name the team UCLA lost to that ended their unbeaten streak following that stretch where they had back-to-back unbeaten seasons?

Notre Dame, I believe. And that's without looking.

You would be correct. I met Bill Walton at a meet and greet two years ago and he was talking with the guy in front of us about that game since he had the Sports Illustrated with it.

You would be correct. I met Bill Walton at a meet and greet two years ago and he was talking with the guy in front of us about that game since he had the Sports Illustrated with it.

It pays to be old enough to remember watching that game on the old TVS channel.

It pays to be old enough to remember watching that game on the old TVS channel.

I knew that one, too. Broke the 88-game win streak for John Wooden, one of the best to ever coach IMO.

So, what exactly is the "TVS" channel?!?

I would be pretty happy with an 11-7 conference record again.  That should set us up for a pretty solid seed assuming we improve in the non-con.  This schedule is no joke...especially the Big 10 gauntlet. 

I think an 11-7 record is very good this yr as the home-and-home portion of the Huskers' B1G schedule is much more difficult than in 2013-14. A conf record of at least 9-9 would likely net an NCAA bid for Nebrasketball. w/ 10-12 non-conf dubs.

Speaking of I went and found the old photo.  A couple months before The Kamdy Man himself joined our world.

242072_10150201377768145_206477_o.jpg

I knew that one, too. Broke the 88-game win streak for John Wooden, one of the best to ever coach IMO.

So, what exactly is the "TVS" channel?!?

It wasn't really accurate for me to call it a channel.  It really was a network back in the 70's that broadcast games - mostly on a regional basis - around the country.  On any given Saturday in January and February, you could watch the Big Eight game of the week with Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson on KMTV or KOLN.  That's what I remember anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVS_Television_Network

Speaking of I went and found the old photo.  A couple months before The Kamdy Man himself joined our world.

Kamdy now we know where the good looking kids come from!;)

So, Bill Walton is like 6 feet 12, so if you look at the back wall and estimate the angle of the camera versus the shoulder height of the woman next to him, I think you can pretty well calculate that baby's gonna be huge.

So, Bill Walton is like 6 feet 12, so if you look at the back wall and estimate the angle of the camera versus the shoulder height of the woman next to him, I think you can pretty well calculate that baby's gonna be huge.

I don't know if you should trust the photo, Norm. Look how they have cleverly positioned the table so you can't see the angle of their knees! ;)

I don't know if you should trust the photo, Norm. Look how they have cleverly positioned the table so you can't see the angle of their knees! ;)

Are you saying she's kneeling there so as not to show anybody up?