Secret Scrimmage Sunday 10/26

Mr. Red

Interesting article.  Reading between the lines, it sounds like Moses is struggling at the moment.

The number one thing that concerns me about the team this year is the loss of Leslee and the lack of a quality backup big man.  I know Leslee struggled a bit down the stretch last year with some lingering injury issues, but he was a huge player early in the year and still was a very valuable backup later in the year.  I do not see him returning at all this year (no matter what the coaches are saying about him shooting for January). 

I have never understood all the hype and excitement over Moses.  He averaged 1.9 pts and 2.8 rebounds on a mediocre Georgetown last year as a redshirt junior in 13 minutes per game.  Leslee averaged 5.4 pts and 4.8 rebounds per game in 16 minutes per game..  Leslee was easily twice as good.  Once a player is a RS junior, there is no need to go back and look at what his high school ranking is.  HS rankings are completely irrelevant at that point.   There is a reason he only played 13 minutes a game on a mediocre team last year.  Why should we expect him to come to a top 25 team and suddenly be a major factor?

I realize people only hope/expect him to come in and rebound and play good defense, but I have even questioned that because based on all reports Moses was a foul machine at Georgetown (and his rebounding numbers are not good either).  One of my biggest pet peeves is the saying "Well, at least he is good for 5 fouls."  There is NOTHING good about a sub coming in and getting 5 fouls.  Last year, especially early in the season, NU lost games because it was fouling so blasted much that it was putting the opponent in the bonus with more than 10 minutes to go in each half.  Accumulating too many fouls was probably the biggest hindrance of the team.  Why in the world would be want to put someone in who will foul even more?  We do not need someone to come in and foul the opponent. 

With that said, I hope upon hope that Moses is simply struggling to grasp the new system and concepts and that he can get better and be a valuable defender and rebounder. I hope upon hope that Molinari can do his magic and in one short preseason can turn Moses into something that he has never been in 4 years of college basketball.  But I am not counting on it at all.  And I just feel like the Huskers are gong to be trying to work around that gaping hole (of a lack of any semblance of a big man) all year. 

Interesting article.  Reading between the lines, it sounds like Moses is struggling at the moment.

The number one thing that concerns me about the team this year is the loss of Leslee and the lack of a quality backup big man.  I know Leslee struggled a bit down the stretch last year with some lingering injury issues, but he was a huge player early in the year and still was a very valuable backup later in the year.  I do not see him returning at all this year (no matter what the coaches are saying about him shooting for January). 

I have never understood all the hype and excitement over Moses.  He averaged 1.9 pts and 2.8 rebounds on a mediocre Georgetown last year as a redshirt junior in 13 minutes per game.  Leslee averaged 5.4 pts and 4.8 rebounds per game in 16 minutes per game..  Leslee was easily twice as good.  Once a player is a RS junior, there is no need to go back and look at what his high school ranking is.  HS rankings are completely irrelevant at that point.   There is a reason he only played 13 minutes a game on a mediocre team last year.  Why should we expect him to come to a top 25 team and suddenly be a major factor?

I realize people only hope/expect him to come in and rebound and play good defense, but I have even questioned that because based on all reports Moses was a foul machine at Georgetown (and his rebounding numbers are not good either).  One of my biggest pet peeves is the saying "Well, at least he is good for 5 fouls."  There is NOTHING good about a sub coming in and getting 5 fouls.  Last year, especially early in the season, NU lost games because it was fouling so blasted much that it was putting the opponent in the bonus with more than 10 minutes to go in each half.  Accumulating too many fouls was probably the biggest hindrance of the team.  Why in the world would be want to put someone in who will foul even more?  We do not need someone to come in and foul the opponent. 

With that said, I hope upon hope that Moses is simply struggling to grasp the new system and concepts and that he can get better and be a valuable defender and rebounder. I hope upon hope that Molinari can do his magic and in one short preseason can turn Moses into something that he has never been in 4 years of college basketball.  But I am not counting on it at all.  And I just feel like the Huskers are gong to be trying to work around that gaping hole (of a lack of any semblance of a big man) all year. 

Great post.  I'm nervous about the loss of Leslee as well.  The one thing I do like is that Miles has a lot of big wings that can cause for a match up nightmare for other teams.  Can you imagine if NU goes to a zone when Fuller is in (to maybe hide his defensive weakness at this point) and moves say Petteway to the point?  Petteway, Shields, Fuller, Rivers and Pitchford make for a big lineup.  Even if you throw in Tai for say Fuller and put him up top you still have some big, long wings to match up with. 

It will be interesting to see what we do defensively at times this year and the lineups we have in the game.  I think when we play man to man we will have the lineup of Benny, Shields, Petteway, Rivers and Pitchford.  Then maybe when Fuller/Tai come in we play some man but sprinkle in some more zone.

Moses has attempted more than 3 shots in a game once in his career.  It would be surprising to see him score much more than garbage points. As long as he's not on the floor with a couple more non-scoring players it won't be that big of a deal.

His main focus should be to keep guys from scoring easily inside with minimal fouls....I'd assume his playing time will depend upon this.  Any sort of shot blocking or rebounding are nice but not at the expense of fouls.

We're going to need him in a few games to pre-conference like Florida St. and anyone else with size. Hopefully we hit on at least one of Moses, 2014-15 Hammond, and Leslee's knee rehabilitation.

Our bigs will be fine.  Leslee will be back when we start the BigTen grind and before that Moses will assist on defense and picks and Jacob will continue to develop.

I agree with you CWG. The backup bigs may not meet some inflated expectations but we will be considerably better compared to this time last year. I hope Leslie can come back and play at a high level this year but I'm not optimistic. No inside info, just his history of knee injuries.