You know what would be REALLY, REALLY cool?

Norm Peterson

Here I am contemplating basketball season on a slow Friday afternoon and it occurs to me:  You know what would be REALLY, REALLY cool?

OK, we make the dance.  That's a foregone conclusion, right?  Skip the play-in game (it'll remain the play-in game to me until they expand the field to 128 teams.)

We beat Georgetown for our first NCAA win and a trip to the round of 32.

We beat SMU for our second NCAA win and a trip to the Sweet 16.

We beat Florida for our third NCAA win and reach the Elite 8.

That would be good enough for me.  I wouldn't even care what happened after that.

OK, basketball gods, make it happen.

Im just not sold on SMU.  With Mudiay definitely see them going far but without him they are just a decent team in a less than stellar conference.

There's a reason I want us to face (and beat) SMU.  It has to do with the other teams I want us to face (and beat).

I figured out the other two but didnt know why on SMU other than putting it to larry Brown.

Im just not sold on SMU.  With Mudiay definitely see them going far but without him they are just a decent team in a less than stellar conference.

There's a reason I want us to face (and beat) SMU.  It has to do with the other teams I want us to face (and beat).

I figured out the other two but didnt know why on SMU other than putting it to larry Brown.

Putting it to Larry Brown, who told Leslee Smith to beat it.

Is he still headed overseas? He would have taken that program to the next level.

He actually played his first game in China last night.  21 pts and 5 assists with a few other stats.

By the way, Elite Eight is certainly a long shot but not beyond the realm of possibility.  At #21, we're just a hair outside the Sweet 16.  And, if you make the Sweet 16, which is not unrealistic that we could, it's generally anybody's ball game.  Unless you're playing an overall #1 or #2 national seed, those Sweet 16 games can often go either way.

Sure, we'd have to get some bounces, but someone's going to get them.  

I'd be disappointed if we don't reach the round of 32 this year.  And getting to the Sweet 16 from there ain't far-fetched.

That would be good enough for me.  I wouldn't even care what happened after that.

Remind me not to watch NU's Elite Eight game with you! :wacko:

If we make the Elite Eight?  Seriously?  I'd be too busy pinching myself to worry about whether we're winning or not.  I'd be like, "Ah, Walt just missed that shot ... BUT HE MISSED IT IN THE ELITE FRICKIN' EIGHT, BABY!!!"

Remind me not to watch NU's Elite Eight game with you! :wacko:

If we make the Elite Eight?  Seriously?  I'd be too busy pinching myself to worry about whether we're winning or not.  I'd be like, "Ah, Walt just missed that shot ... BUT HE MISSED IT IN THE ELITE FRICKIN' EIGHT, BABY!!!"

You are lying to yourself...

Imagine we are alive during weekend #2 in March...you would be one of the most rabid fans on this planet.

While I agree you, me and virtually everyone here would be thrilled to lose in this position (if we are making this deal today)...

But if it comes to Sunday in week 2...you would be about the last person who "wouldn't even care what happened after that."

Accept reality...you are a fan...and you care...a lot!

No matter when or where we are...so, don't kid yourself!

By this time in the tournament, you may be convinced we are going to win it all!

And I may be telling you how right you are!

Perhaps a better query is...Would you rather make the Elite 8 or win the B1G regular season trophy outright?

Yeah,...I know...a true fan answers .....BOTH!

Sorry Norm, you quit too soon in this fantasy. NU beats Wisconsin to avenge an earlier loss and reaches the final four. Then they improbably upset Roy's Tarheels in the first game and finish in a classic four overtime final game by edging KU by one point when David Rivers hits all three free throws after time expires. THEN I would be happy!

Sorry Norm, you quit too soon in this fantasy. NU beats Wisconsin to avenge an earlier loss and reaches the final four. Then they improbably upset Roy's Tarheels in the first game and finish in a classic four overtime final game by edging KU by one point when David Rivers hits all three free throws after time expires. THEN I would be happy!

OK, Jimmy, now you're just talking crazy.

Let's be real here.  You and I both know there's no way North Carolina reaches the Final Four this year.