1.  Shavon Shields

2.  Tai Webster

3.  Walter Pitchford

4.  Terran Petteway

5.  Benny Parker

6.  Andrew White

7.  David Rivers

8.  Nick Fuller

If I was to list top 8 eligible players, I would slide Tarin Smith in at 8 and, obviously, drop White out of the list.  It would be a very close race between Rivers, Fuller and Smith for the 6th man spot.

Tai Webster has shown significant improvement in his game from what I can see.  I mean, significant improvement.  Part of that is that I think he is, actually, a better player.  He's worked on some things for sure.  And part of that is that I think he just feels more comfortable.

I think we have several guys with the potential to be able to light it up from deep.  Shields looks like he's worked at being a better shooter.  Pitchford still strokes it.  And Fuller is a deep threat with near perfect form.

I'm truly excited to see this team play.  I think some of the pieces of the puzzle have clearly upped their game from last year, including Benny and Tai.  This team is going to be deeeep with talent.  A far cry from two years ago when Miles couldn't even substitute in the 2nd half of whatever game that was.

Go Big Red, baby.

who do you think the starters will be? I feel like it's going to be the same guys towards the end of last year.

tai,petteway,shields,rivers,pitchford.

I think the 5 best guys play.

Right now, Shields at the 4 is better than Rivers at the 4.  And it looks to me like Tai brings more to the 2 than Rivers to the 4.  So, it comes down to who is going to make the team better?  Rivers at the 4, or Benny or Smith at the 1?  The answer right now appears to be Benny at the 1, which shifts Tai to the 2 spot, Petteway at the wing and Shields at PF.

Walt is the 5 by default b/c I'm just not sure Moses is going to push his way into the starting lineup at this point.

So, as of right now, my starters would probably be:

1  Benny

2  Tai

3  Terran

4  Shavon

5  Walter

But I'm not the coach.  Let's see what Miles does.  I think he has a ton of options and we have quality depth that will allow him a lot of flexibility.

Devil's Advocate: Why Fuller over Smith when it appears that right now, at least, Smith has more than one tool to work with and Fuller might only have one?

Because that one tool was really, really good.  That's the kind of tool that will get you on the floor in games early.

And Smith's tools have him in the running to get in the game at the beginning. Not trying to knock Fuller, as we need his shooting ability, but, from what I've heard of the two so far, Smith brings more to the table ATM. Granted, that could change once we get to see them play...

Devil's Advocate: Why Fuller over Smith when it appears that right now, at least, Smith has more than one tool to work with and Fuller might only have one?

Because that one tool was really, really good.  That's the kind of tool that will get you on the floor in games early.

And Smith's tools have him in the running to get in the game at the beginning. Not trying to knock Fuller, as we need his shooting ability, but, from what I've heard of the two so far, Smith brings more to the table ATM. Granted, that could change once we get to see them play...

What I said was not slight against Tarin Smith but more a reflection of the quality of our depth right now.  And we're deep.

BTW, from what I saw, Smith is good but I don't think he starts. 

What I said was not slight against Tarin Smith but more a reflection of the quality of our depth right now.  And we're deep.

BTW, from what I saw, Smith is good but I don't think he starts. 

Nice problem to have for a change.

who do you think the starters will be? I feel like it's going to be the same guys towards the end of last year.

tai,petteway,shields,rivers,pitchford.

Terran let the cat out at Media days saying the starting 5 would be Benny, Terran, Shavon, David, and Walt right now.

oh. i wasn't aware of that. I kind of like benny better coming off the bench.

Am I missing something, or why is Terran 4th? Are you just putting these in random order?

Terran was a top 4 player in the best basketball conference in the country last year.

Should be

1. Terran

2. Shavon

3. Walter

"Based on the practice footage, my top 8 players right now would be:"

Terran could have played the whole practice using only his left hand to shoot the ball, and I couldn't care less. He's the best player.

So, you watched the practice footage and thought Terran looked like the best player out there?  Do you disagree with all the people who said they watched the video and thought Terran was having an off day?  Or are you saying that, in spite of having an off day, he still looked like the best player out there?

I think Terran is the best player on the team.  But not in that practice.  And I think I very clearly stated, a couple of times now, "Based on the practice footage ..."

I watched the practice and I also was unimpressed with Petteway.  

But I think that is because they don't call fouls in practice.

This has two effects, first Petteway is not getting points from the line and second because fouls aren't called people can guard him a lot tougher without fear of being called.

Having said that Petteway hasn't always been the best at putting the ball in the hoop, a big part of his game is getting to the line.

I watched the practice and I also was unimpressed with Petteway.  

But I think that is because they don't call fouls in practice.

This has two effects, first Petteway is not getting points from the line and second because fouls aren't called people can guard him a lot tougher without fear of being called.

Having said that Petteway hasn't always been the best at putting the ball in the hoop, a big part of his game is getting to the line.

It's always been said of Petteway that he brings it in practice as well.  I'm wondering if his performance in the practice had anything to do with why he was grimacing like an old man that Miles got after him for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Here's who starts

1. Smith

2. Petteway

3. Shields

4. Pitchford

5. Abraham

First off the bench : Rivers , Parker, Fuller

I need to see more outta Webster before he gets significant minutes.                                                           

There's only two bigs that will see significant time this season unless Leslee gets back in January or February, you're not going to start the game with both of them on the floor. Also, no chance Webster isn't starting.

Here's who starts

1. Smith

2. Petteway

3. Shields

4. Pitchford

5. Abraham

First off the bench : Rivers , Parker, Fuller

I need to see more outta Webster before he gets significant minutes.                                                           

Srsly?

If I had a vote (which I don't), I'd take these 5 to start the game off:

Webster

Petteway

Shields

Fuller

Pitchford

1st 3 off bench (based on need, not necessarily shown in their order of entry into game): Rivers, Parker, Smith