Who is the most popular sports professional who went to college in Nebraska

lanigan123

Seriously people if you are going to divide your loyalties between two different schools, you cannot expect everyone to subscribe to your divided loyalties as well. McDermott is loyal to Creighton and only Creighton. He has every right to dislike Nebraska if he sees them as a rival.

McDermott grew up with his father coaching Iowa State and then playing for Creighton so I completely agree with you on this point. The notion of him being a "sellout" is misguided. 

What was the motivation here?  Publicity? To stick it to Husker fans? To conflict Jayskers?

I guess he took Tim Miles quote about saying dumb stuff to heart.

Seriously people if you are going to divide your loyalties between two different schools, you cannot expect everyone to subscribe to your divided loyalties as well. McDermott is loyal to Creighton and only Creighton. He has every right to dislike Nebraska if he sees them as a rival.

McDermott grew up with his father coaching Iowa State and then playing for Creighton so I completely agree with you on this point. The notion of him being a "sellout" is misguided. 

What was the motivation here?  Publicity? To stick it to Husker fans? To conflict Jayskers?

Anyone tweeting a pic of the 6-yr wonder punking Terran after his own father basically said it was "great hustle" to do so is nothing more than a hoser move. Wearing Northwestern gear on a big screen to start the 4th quarter where about half of the crowd are from or have ties to 'Nebraska' is a failed attempt at a "gotcha" moment. Whatever trips your trigger, Dougie McD. Seems like a dumb move all around, and All-American Ameer -- who is more 'Nebraskan' than Dougie -- thinks so. And, Ameer obviously knows best. ;)

Admittedly, I was surprised to see McDermott cheering for Northwestern last night and have no idea why it occurred. My best guess . . . I think McDermott sees Creighton at a cross roads of sorts. For decades, Creighton was a mid-major that regularly made the tournament and would advance 1-2 times in a 10 year period. For a mid-major, that is a big deal. Mid-majors recruit sleepers, late bloomers, etc, and field senior laden teams all while developing their system.

Creighton is no longer a mid-major and is good enough to challenge for a major conference title. However, it has lost the best player in its history. Does Creighton stay with its mid-major strategy or does it embrace it's now major college position by targeting higher profile players, engage in recruiting battles with other major programs, and create a national brand? I think McDermott's action clearly sends the message it wants to run with the big dogs. To do that, Creighton needs its own identity. It can no longer be Nebraska's little brother. By openly cheering against Nebraska during a football game, Creighton is clearly braking away from Nebraska's shadow, creating a stronger rivalry, and sending the message to all the Jayskers to choose a loyalty.

In truth, Tim Miles coming to Nebraska will only help Creighton's exposure. A bitter rivalry will get both schools more national exposure (think Kentucky/Louisville, Duke/UNC, heck at one time Xavier/Cincinnati was incredibly interesting).

Admittedly, I was surprised to see McDermott cheering for Northwestern last night and have no idea why it occurred. My best guess . . . I think McDermott sees Creighton at a cross roads of sorts. For decades, Creighton was a mid-major that regularly made the tournament and would advance 1-2 times in a 10 year period. For a mid-major, that is a big deal. Mid-majors recruit sleepers, late bloomers, etc, and field senior laden teams all while developing their system.

Creighton is no longer a mid-major and is good enough to challenge for a major conference title. However, it has lost the best player in its history. Does Creighton stay with its mid-major strategy or does it embrace it's now major college position by targeting higher profile players, engage in recruiting battles with other major programs, and create a national brand? I think McDermott's action clearly sends the message it wants to run with the big dogs. To do that, Creighton needs its own identity. It can no longer be Nebraska's little brother. By openly cheering against Nebraska during a football game, Creighton is clearly braking away from Nebraska's shadow, creating a stronger rivalry, and sending the message to all the Jayskers to choose a loyalty.

In truth, Tim Miles coming to Nebraska will only help Creighton's exposure. A bitter rivalry will get both schools more national exposure (think Kentucky/Louisville, Duke/UNC, heck at one time Xavier/Cincinnati was incredibly interesting).

I'd say most Jayskers probably laughed, didn't care, or were appalled. I don't see it as a 'ultimatum' at all.

And, since the prime-time game was on "BTN", I'd imagine that not a ton of people are watching to gain any sort of 'foothold' into recruiting a basketball prospect in the east.... After watching part of the broadcast later, I did notice that Kevin Kugler of BTN did have a passing mention of McDermott from Creighton appearing on a video board. Again, hardly a big deal nationally.

It seems that the motivation is more personal. Maybe it's to taunt the Cotton (and ultimately, the greater Husker) family... like, ha ha, you suck. Go NW!

So, then, after basically taunting Husker fans during the Northwestern game last night, Dougie McDick salts the wound by tweeting ...

https://twitter.com/dougmcd3/status/523667514036084737

Always get a laugh at how Jays seem to be proud of this event. It's, actually, kinda yellow: the Jay started something he knew he would not have to finish--hiding behind the skirts of the refs and his teammates and the better judgment of Petteway and other Husker's to protect him. In a real fight between those two, the Jay would be . . . let's just say . . . in trouble.

So, then, after basically taunting Husker fans during the Northwestern game last night, Dougie McDick salts the wound by tweeting ...

https://twitter.com/dougmcd3/status/523667514036084737

Always get a laugh at how Jays seem to be proud of this event. It's, actually, kinda yellow: the Jay started something he knew he would not have to finish--hiding behind the skirts of the refs and his teammates and the better judgment of Petteway and other Husker's to protect him. In a real fight between those two, the Jay would be . . . let's just say . . . in trouble.

Basically, Doug is a mere troll for those blowhards. Seems rather sophomoric to be such a hoser for the twitterverse.

**** READ THE COMMENTS THAT ARE RE-TWEETED, IT SHOWS THESE JAYBACKERS TRUE COLORS ****

Love the hashtags in Chris Harriman's tweet.

Might this also motivate another Husker team come December?

#beatdown #backfire #whoopsie #YouJustOpenedaCanofWhoopass

I can kind of understand why Dougie might identify with Northwestern - after all, his old team and the 'Cats accomplished similar things team-wise last season: No regular-season conference championship, no conference tournament championship, no team hardware.  :D

Both small, private schools in a greater metro area that cares more about other team(s), generally. Yeah, I see your point! GBR

I would be a bit confused if a former Husker did this at some game. I don't see somebody like let's say... Tommie Frazier wearing a Florida State Shirt and cheering against Florida on ABC.

I would think that Creighton fans would be upset he was in Northwestern Gear, shouldn't he have been in a blue sweater vest with the Jays written on it?

I would think that Creighton fans would be upset he was in Northwestern Gear, shouldn't he have been in a blue sweater vest with the Jays written on it?

Or, more appropriately, Bulls gear.

Problem is, virtually nobody in Chicago knows who TF the kid is by looks alone I'd imagine, particularly Northwestern fans.  It was marketing by the Bulls pure and simple, but I'm not sure how effective it was/will be.

It definitely didn't have the desired effect for the Northwestern team, to be sure.

Yes Bulls gear would have been much better. Then at least the students at that University would have know he was at least a Bull's player, instead of some dude in NW shirt yelling for the crowd to get fired up.

Because you know a very large group of people at that game had NO IDEA who he was or what he was doing there.

Problem is, virtually nobody in Chicago knows who TF the kid is by looks alone I'd imagine, particularly Northwestern fans.  It was marketing by the Bulls pure and simple, but I'm not sure how effective it was/will be.

It definitely didn't have the desired effect for the Northwestern team, to be sure.

It's like Jimmy said back on page 1:  Northwestern fans would probably grin about the spot for a couple of seconds and then forget about it.  It would never have any lasting affect on them.  It clearly serves much more to antagonize Husker fans.  And they knew this.  I mean, you didn't see any other Bulls players doing this, right?  So, it wasn't so much about supporting Northwestern as it was using Northwestern to try to poke a stick in the eye of Husker fans.

They knew what they were doing.  More specifically, Dougie McDick knew what he was doing.  And, hey, that's cool.  We just see his true colors now.

If it was truly a tie-in to the NW/Chicago family, then Chris Collins (and father Doug, perhaps) would have done the spot to liven the crowd, don't ya think?

If it was truly a tie-in to the NW/Chicago family, then Chris Collins (and father Doug, perhaps) would have done the spot to liven the crowd, don't ya think?

No, I would imagine it was probably more like a paid spot by the Bulls...a commercial if you will, rather than a pump-up video.  Now, I'm only taking a blind stab at that - I didn't see it or anything - but I've heard that the Bulls are promoting the heck out of the kid (which is only a natural thing for them to do).

Since Derrick Rose should be suffering another season-ending injury just about any day now, McDermott may end up being like the 6th or maybe even 5th most recognizable name on that roster, so they probably want people to be able to recognize his face once he starts getting into some games.

But like I said before, I'm only taking a guess at that.

Creighton is no longer a mid-major and is good enough to challenge for a major conference title. However, it has lost the best player in its history. Does Creighton stay with its mid-major strategy or does it embrace it's now major college position by targeting higher profile players, engage in recruiting battles with other major programs, and create a national brand? I think McDermott's action clearly sends the message it wants to run with the big dogs. 

This is at least 2x less likely than the sellout thing

No, I would imagine it was probably more like a paid spot by the Bulls...a commercial if you will, rather than a pump-up video.  Now, I'm only taking a blind stab at that - I didn't see it or anything - but I've heard that the Bulls are promoting the heck out of the kid (which is only a natural thing for them to do).

Since Derrick Rose should be suffering another season-ending injury just about any day now, McDermott may end up being like the 6th or maybe even 5th most recognizable name on that roster, so they probably want people to be able to recognize his face once he starts getting into some games.

Nah, not really... I was there & it clearly had nothing to do with the Bulls (even though it could have). I still contend Chris Collins would have been the wise choice, but what do I know about marketing?! Clearly the effort worked out well for the local NU! ;)

And, by the way, McDermott is currently starting for the team so I don't think he's being promoted "extra" locally in the vein that Chicagoans likely know who he is already.

Nah, not really... I was there & it clearly had nothing to do with the Bulls (even though it could have). I still contend Chris Collins would have been the wise choice, but what do I know about marketing?! Clearly the effort worked out well for the local NU! ;)

And, by the way, McDermott is currently starting for the team so I don't think he's being promoted "extra" locally in the vein that Chicagoans likely know who he is already.

Sure, but starting in the preseason and starting in the regular season are two different things.  I'd be surprised if he's a day one starter for them.  But, I hate the NBA anyway so it's not like I pay a terrible lot of attention to what's going on with all that anyway.

Someone on the Northwestern media staff probably came up with the idea to ask McBuckets and he agreed to it.  MacD could have turned them down but didn't due to a combination of promoting himself and/or dislike of the Huskers.

It's some bizarre basketball thing that happened at a football game...no doubt we should be discussing this.

In the grand scheme of things, that's like one burn to ten of Miles?

I wonder if we couldn't take this conversation over to the debluesional thread???

If anyone wants to start quoting message board users, please do.  

I have very few issues with discussing people who actually matter.

Someone on the Northwestern media staff probably came up with the idea to ask McBuckets and he agreed to it.  MacD could have turned them down but didn't due to a combination of promoting himself and/or dislike of the Huskers.

Looks like in the interest of promoting himself.