Husker Practice Video 10/14/2014

hhcmatt

Tarin much better offensively than I imagined.  They always talked about him as a facilitator and his scoring averages weren't the greatest in HS due to the team he played for.

Shavon was by far our best player during this practice.

Thought Terran really struggled, missed almost all of his shots in the live drills they did.  

Pitchford did work against Moses in the post work.

Moses, man the kid is really bad offensively but looked good rebounding the ball.

Benny and Rivers doing what they do.  Roles will be the same as last year.  Thought Rivers looked really out of shape and always had hands over head.

Webster jump shot definitely improved.  Overall looked like a much more confident player.

Fuller can shoot but game is pretty limited to that at this point.  

White, could tell he is still feeling his way with the team.  Felt like he was a little timid on offense and I'm guessing that is due to his newness.

Coach Mo is going to break his hip :lol:

Walt can shoot the rock...

Tai certainly looks better...

Moses can play a role, but seems to have limitations...

Petteway looked to have a bad day...

Saw Leslie on the sideline, but not Hammond...

We have a long way to go...but we have the makings of a very good team...We do need our two missing bigs back on the court.

The great thing about Tarin is he got the best of both worlds in high school.  He got to run n gun on his AAU team that was stacked with studs so they got up and down the floor for some tempo.  Then for his high school he plays under a discplined half court oriented offense controlled to slow down the game and be meticulous.  You can't rate those experiences in recruiting services that give him an edge over a kid that was given free reign his entire life because he was a gifted player now having to conform to being a team first pg.

I also got a kick out of the early "conversations" Coach had with Webster and Petteway.  When charting their shots, they have been hoisting more 3's then 2's.  He hinted that perhaps they should spend this practice penetrating for 2's.  I am not quite sure the conversation resulted in a change...

This was practice?  Where were the F bombs?

Tai's shot has improved a lot, IMO.  He used to shoot from about his eye level, like right in front of his face.  Now, he has his arms extended more overhead, which gives him a much higher release point.  He was hitting at a pretty high rate, from what I could tell.

Nick Fuller looked like the best shooter of anyone when the guards split from the bigs and did shooting.  For some reason, Shavon just doesn't get much leg into his shots but he, at times, looked pretty accurate.  I agree Petteway had an off shooting day.

But, for as much as Petteway was off, seeing the shooting from Tai and from Pitchford was really encouraging.  Pitchford's shot ain't pretty but it was really effective most of that practice. 

The best I can explain Pitchford's shot is that, during his windup, he draws the ball back to just over his left shoulder and then shoots kind of across his body laterally, rather than drawing it back overhead like Tai and Fuller, or over his right shoulder like Petteway.  This just has an odd appearance, but he otherwise gets good elevation and has a nice, high release.  I'd like to see if his shooting arc has improved at all.

I've watched this in bits and pieces once and then full thing through again last night.  Watching this vid leaves me very optimistic about this team.  Some odds and ends:

Tai stands out.  There's an air of self-confidence about him that we didn't see last year.  And it shows in his total approach.  His stroke was much better, he was making hustle plays, and his recognition of shot opportunities was several steps above where he finished last year.

For instance, at one point during the 4-on-4 half court action, he was in the corner with the ball and looking to pass along the baseline but the defender dropped to stop the pass and Tai immediately recognized he had an open 3 point opportunity and he took a step back beyond the arc and drilled it.

He and Benny were kind of feeding off of each other in some of the scrimmaging action.  I could easily see a lineup where Tai shifts over to the off-guard and Benny takes the point.

Nick Fuller can shoot.  During the shooting drills where they split the guards and bigs, they ran a drill where one player dribbles baseline and kicks to a spot up shooter in the far corner and then flashes to the near wing to catch and shoot.  When Fuller was spotting up in the corner, he was money.  It'll be nice to add that dimension to our arsenal this year.

Moses Ayegba is ripped but raw.  Can't believe he spent 3 years at G'town and still looks as raw offensively as he does.  Don't they teach post-up moves anymore?  Footwork was terrible.  Keep your balance, stay over your feet and go up strong.  BUUUUT, speaking of post up moves, Walter showed something we haven't seen before.  Did anyone notice?

Tarin Smith has game.  I think a lot of people assumed that he mustn't be very good if he's still available in the spring when we got involved with him.  I think a lot of people will be surprised.  Kid has good handles and can penetrate and get to the rim.  Decent size and length for a point and crazy ups.  Not a bad shooter but that's something he probably needs work on.

Not worried about Petteway.  His biggest problem was ignoring what Miles told him early in the practice:  "Like the 3, love the rim."  Terran makes his living on the dribble drive and he was settling for perimeter shots most of the time.  My guess is that he was just trying to find his range, which was off. 

Knowing what we know about the kid, it probably bugged the hell out of him that his threes weren't dropping and so he kept shooting them trying to find his range.  When the ball is live, he'll be back to loving the rim.  His D in the 4-on-4 half-court drill showed he wasn't just phoning it in for the day.

Looks like a ranked team to me.

Pitchford looked the most NBA ready of the bunch to me (and he's not ready).  He's doing things at his size that only a couple of players in college can do offensively.  

Petteway is fine.  He's still doing jaw dropping things with the ball and playing fantastic defense.

Shields looks great on both ends.

Benny looks majorly improved offensively, both as a facilitator and shooter.  It'll be interesting to see how that plays out because his defense is still remarkable.  

Fuller has nearly flawless form on his jumper, and it goes in.  I hope he can figure out how to get open when game time comes though.  He was getting eaten alive on the perimeter.  I like his willingness to rebound.  Could be a great zone buster.  

Moses is a good defender.  He'll help us.  He got worked a couple of times by WP but those shots were contested.  He's a lot calmer defensively than I anticipated, and that's a good thing.  I like what he brings to the table, though it'll be entirely on the defensive end.

Tarin is a hell of an addition.  You can see his IQ all over the court.  He's going to be a great facilitator and help balance our scoring.  He's a good enough shooter too.  He's not the defender Benny is (who is?), but it's obvious he's been coached well (duh) and will be effective at both ends.  Very athletic.

Tai should be lauded for his conditioning.  He looks a full step faster and stronger than last year.  I still don't know what to do with him though.  He doesn't look like a 1 or a 2 to me.  He looks like a 1.5.  That can be good and bad.  Defensively though, I think he can guard 1-3 now (he couldn't really guard the 1 last year), which is fantastic.  I'm just not sure where he fits in offensively.  I'm excited to see how the coaches use him.  He kind of reminds me of Cookie Belcher right now.  

Rivers looked like Rivers, which is a compliment.  I still think he starts.

I really wish I could see Hammond.  I think he'll play this year.  

So much depth.  So many options with lineups.  Very exciting times.