Perhaps OT? What goes on..

a0t0w0

in Iowa City on men's BBall visits that made it more fun for Ed than visiting Nebraska?  (see media thread for those confused)

I don't think this is a matter of personal preference.  They do well recruiting.  It can't be as simple as bringing recruits to Iowa vs Northern Iowa games and winning them over. 

Anyone have insight as to what happens on these visits?  More importantly HOW CAN FRAN (A DUDE NAMED FRAN) PROVIDE MORE FUN THAN TIM MILES? 

I told you it didn't look like he was having much fun at the Miami game. Obviously having fun in college was not the highest thing on his priority list. ( As I look back over the years, it seems the fun times I had in college are much more prominent in retrospect than they seemed at the time i was actually having them.) Ed seems like an unusually mature lad.

Iowa City is well known as one of the top College Party Towns! It might be as simple as that...

There was a recent article posted somewhere around here that talked about the environment he lives in and the dangerous neighborhood where he lives.  Apparently, his parents didn't quite realize the kind of place they were moving into when they moved to Chicago, but anyway.  He doesn't go to parties.  He doesn't hang out with friends.  He doesn't sit on his front porch.  When school is over, he gets home and heads inside.  And they don't go out after dark.  Sounds like a difficult existence.  But that's what he's used to.

So, top college party town?  Not sure that would be of much interest to our newest recruit.

Iowa City is well known as one of the top College Party Towns! It might be as simple as that...

There was a recent article posted somewhere around here that talked about the environment he lives in and the dangerous neighborhood where he lives.  Apparently, his parents didn't quite realize the kind of place they were moving into when they moved to Chicago, but anyway.  He doesn't go to parties.  He doesn't hang out with friends.  He doesn't sit on his front porch.  When school is over, he gets home and heads inside.  And they don't go out after dark.  Sounds like a difficult existence.  But that's what he's used to.

So, top college party town?  Not sure that would be of much interest to our newest recruit.

It wasn't "long-term" but for a weekend, it was 'fun' for a 17 year old man... long-term, he's a Husker! Couldn't be a better decision.

Auroran, I'm not saying he didn't enjoy a party atmosphere in IC.  I'm just saying with the kind of life experience he's had, that might not have carried a lot of weight with him.  And, proof is obviously in the pudding:  He said he had fun there but he committed here.

Obviously that's a party school but if people were wondering why he didn't commit to the school where he had more fun on his visit, the context of his upbringing may help explain it.

Knowing Ed's parents and his upbringing, I seriously doubt they let their 17-year-old son anywhere near a party during the visit.  Even if they did, Ed does not seem like the type of kid who has fun at college parties.  He seems like he would be the designated driver sitting in the corner sipping root beer.

This actually brings up an interesting question about what goes on during recruiting visits and how we compare to other schools with what we do.

I remember attending and watching some of those open practices when Doc was here and seeing some recruits in attendance from time to time.

Dee Proby, for example.  (How's that for pulling a name out of the Wayback Machine for someone who committed elsewhere?)  I can't remember for sure, but seems to me he visited with Garrett Stutz.  But I just sort of remember seeing Dee Proby just kind of sitting there in a folding chair on the sidelines watching the Huskers practice, not doing much of anything except ... sitting there.

And watching practice was interesting for me, but I'm not confident that it was interesting at all to Mr. Proby.  Periodically, someone like our DOBO would come up to talk to him, but mostly he just sat there. 

Now, because he was a juco kid, he didn't have parents with him.  But wouldn't you want someone to kind of accompany him and chat him up while he's sitting there?  Or do you want him to just sit there by himself?  Or do you ask him if he'd like to go watch practice for a little bit and, if he says yes, then he watches practice by himself for half an hour?  I mean, how does that all get played out? 

So, I guess my question is whether there's a pretty tight schedule for official visitors with a lot of pre-planned activities and meetings or whether it's less scripted and more playing things by ear, etc.

Anyone with insight, please respond.

Auroran, I'm not saying he didn't enjoy a party atmosphere in IC.  I'm just saying with the kind of life experience he's had, that might not have carried a lot of weight with him.  And, proof is obviously in the pudding:  He said he had fun there but he committed here.

Obviously that's a party school but if people were wondering why he didn't commit to the school where he had more fun on his visit, the context of his upbringing may help explain it.

Yep, that's exactly my point as well... This young man is very mature for a 17 year old.

When Lydon Murtha was recruited by Minnesota to play football they took him to a strip club and he was "offended". That episode turned him off to the point that he became a Husker. Not every 18 year old thinks naked chicks are a "good time" Who knew?

I remember that, just couldn't remember the player. Thanks for remembering for me.

The coaches will ask in advance what they want to see and what they like to do to outside of football to match up the best possible host.  Then its up to the host to find out what the players wants to do from that point on.  It could be video games, bowling, parties, etc.  

Wow. 

Didn't realize it was that unorchestrated. 

Seems like that leaves a lot up to chance as far as whether a recruit hits it off with his host or enjoys the activities they put together for him. 

Is that how all schools do it?  I mean, I'm sure there are some planned activities, but I just can't imagine spending time on a recruiting visit playing video games.

If I was doing recruiting, I'm not sure how much down time I would build into an official visit weekend.

Has this topic come up before?  Seems like there was some post by someone who spelled out a lot of what the itinerary for a recruiting weekend would be. 

Dimes, you're good at finding that stuff. 

Seems like that is particularly pertinent to this discussion.

My curiosity has been piqued by this mention that Morrow had fun at Iowa but apparently not so much here.

The coaches will ask in advance what they want to see and what they like to do to outside of football to match up the best possible host.  Then its up to the host to find out what the players wants to do from that point on.  It could be video games, bowling, parties, etc.  

Wow. 

Didn't realize it was that unorchestrated. 

Seems like that leaves a lot up to chance as far as whether a recruit hits it off with his host or enjoys the activities they put together for him. 

Is that how all schools do it?  I mean, I'm sure there are some planned activities, but I just can't imagine spending time on a recruiting visit playing video games.

This is just at night.  The rest of the day is planned out to the minute.  Once all the school stuff is done and the game is over thats when its time to unwind.  You'll see many kids pick or eliminate a school from it.  This is when theres usually no parents and coaches around and the kid can get to know future teammates, see the city, and ask the questions they may not ask an "adult". Some of the guys actually enjoy just resting and playing video games.  Some may have flown in thhat morning, went straight to the stadium for a couple hours of tours, then they spend 4 hours at a game.  At that point you can be completely drained and just want to rest.  Every recruit is different.  Thats why they try and match them up but usually they go in groups so that way they can have some options and if someone doesnt click they can still talk with others.

OK, good info.  Thanks, Kamdy.

no problem.  Its really interesting to see what some kids want to do on visits.  I remember on my college visits that I chose my first college based on my relationship with the players on the current team that I would be playing with.  I had a blast at a party and basically told my mom the next day thats where I wanted to be.  

The majority of kids that I hosted over the years wanted to go to a party.  A couple just wanted to hang out at the dorms and play video games, or just go out to dinner see the town and call it a night.  

The interesting thing on recruiting trips is that it goes both way on some of these too as current players could get a bad feeling or think a kid wont fit with the team after hanging out with them and that player could be dropped from recruiting.

This sort of reminds me of old fraternity rush parties. Usually people pledged because they bonded with a few members on the visit, not because of what they did. Sometimes a well placed joke about how lame the visit was turning out was just as effective as a carefully orchestrated, but superficial look at things. Most kids are pretty good at spotting phoniness.