A torrid nooner with Lindy

jimmykc

For the past few weeks I've tried to help pass the time until our game starts and will occupy this week by describing my passion for Lindy this year. I switched from Street and Smith's preseason basketball issue to Lindy's about a decade ago and have found it to be the best in the difficult crystal ball business. Unfortunately I've never seen Nebraska crack its' top 25.   BUT WAIT: this year NU is rated 19 in the nation and third in the Big Ten, and even mentioned as a possibility for the sweet 16. This is about right as I see it at this time. Terran, Shavon and Walt are all in the top 25 for their positions Even Pivovar, who puts the worst possible NU spin on everything for this publication , can only say that the high expectations and the lackluster tradition are the downsides this year. And, for those who are interested, Steve picks Creighton sixth in what is called the Not-so-big east and KU is rated sixth nationwide despite losing Wiggins and Embid. Food for thought before starting to tailgate too early.

For the past few weeks I've tried to help pass the time until our game starts and will occupy this week by describing my passion for Lindy this year. I switched from Street and Smith's preseason basketball issue to Lindy's about a decade ago and have found it to be the best in the difficult crystal ball business. Unfortunately I've never seen Nebraska crack its' top 25.   BUT WAIT: this year NU is rated 19 in the nation and third in the Big Ten, and even mentioned as a possibility for the sweet 16. This is about right as I see it at this time. Terran, Shavon and Walt are all in the top 25 for their positions Even Pivovar, who puts the worst possible NU spin on everything for this publication , can only say that the high expectations and the lackluster tradition are the downsides this year. And, for those who are interested, Steve picks Creighton sixth in what is called the Not-so-big east and KU is rated sixth nationwide despite losing Wiggins and Embid. Food for thought before starting to tailgate too early.

Jimmy, I was going to make an off-color joke about you maybe sharing and passing Lindy around among the rest of us but being worried that the pages might be stuck together ...

BUT, out of respect for you, I will make no such joke.  -_-

I'll leave that to Cip.  :P

Didn't see Lindy on Saturday, but we did run into Timmy, Harriman & Kenya on the sideline as well as D. Rivers, Moses & Leslee much later on a street corner when they were very happy (not sure if Lindy is ever *that* happy). Real weird how happy they were, considering they had not encountered Normy yet to get their daily sunshine-pumpin'. ;) GBR

Lindys only rates the top 25 at each position (SG,SF,C) in no particular order and all of our guys made the list.

That's kind of a big deal, actually.  I can remember one other time that we had more than one guy on a top 25 list and I think that was Piatkowski and Derek Chandler heading into Pike's junior year.  IIRC.

It's been rare that we've had any players listed among the top 25 at their position.  To have multiple players in the top 25 at their position is huge.

And this year, we have three?  So far as I know, I don't think we've ever had three.

Jimmy, do you have institutional memory of any other time we've had more than 2?

Pretty crazy to not be in the top-25 position ranking and end up being a first-round draft pick.  That's a heck of a jump!

https://rivals.yahoo.com/ucla/basketball/recruiting/player-Russell-Westbrook-45053

This guy would be the modern day version.  Rivals didnt even have Russell Westbrook in the top 150 out of HS and he goes in the first round the next year as a freshman at UCLA.  The crazy part is Russell actually visited Creighton I believe.

Might Rich King have made the top-25 of his position?

Not in a pre-season mag. 

His junior year, we were something like 10-18.  Entering his senior year, everyone expected Nebraska to suuuuuuck. 

So, no, I don't expect we had anyone on any pre-season top 25 lists going into that magical season.

King did average more points/game his junior than he did as a senior.  Wouldn't have ever guessed that.