If Petteway stays another year...

Fullbacksympathy

Given the squad we have currently and the influx of young talent (possibly super-talent), if Petteway stays, would we be a national title contender?

Did I just write that?

Who knows? But I think a regular season conference title is NOT out of the realm and it has been my wish more than just about anything that we could do that in my lifetime. I am now 56. If this is a dream please nobody wake me!

I don't see how we wouldn't have a shot at winning it all with such few roster deficiencies.  UConn was third in conference last year and won on the back of a late NBA first rounder and a D-League big.  They didn't have overwhelming talent, but they had enough to contend.  I think we'd have something similar. 

We're looking at the very real possibility of a Top 10 recruiting class for '15 with one more commit.  We're not getting overachievers or projects anymore, though we're conditioned to such a thing.

I don't know where we are in terms of national title contender. I don't think you can officially consider your program one of those until you've been there before or have a couple of one-and-done lottery picks on your team heading into the year.

What I did want to comment on is this idea that gets tossed around that post play needs to improve dramatically before we'll go anywhere. I don't think this is the case. With the way Miles runs his offense and utilizes the wing position with interchangeable guys to create mismatches, the true post position (which almost no team has these days anyway) is less important. What is important is having guys (even guards) who can perform a post move when needed. We need guys who can operate in the post, but a true post isn't required. We did just fine last year with basically zero post scoring. What a couple athletic bigs can give us is interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking. Having that alone will he us immensely. That's where having Abraham, a big who's mostly a defensive presence and not so much of a scorer, will help us big time this season.

ajb, post play involves more than just offense.  We also have to defend the post better and rebound better.  Like tons better.  Petteway alone doesn't make us a title contender and these other pieces don't either, although these other pieces do make us better.  But, what we're still lacking is a post defender who can eat up rebounds even if we're not asking him to score.

I don't know where we are in terms of national title contender. I don't think you can officially consider your program one of those until you've been there before or have a couple of one-and-done lottery picks on your team heading into the year.

What I did want to comment on is this idea that gets tossed around that post play needs to improve dramatically before we'll go anywhere. I don't think this is the case. With the way Miles runs his offense and utilizes the wing position with interchangeable guys to create mismatches, the true post position (which almost no team has these days anyway) is less important. What is important is having guys (even guards) who can perform a post move when needed. We need guys who can operate in the post, but a true post isn't required. We did just fine last year with basically zero post scoring. What a couple athletic bigs can give us is interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking. Having that alone will he us immensely. That's where having Abraham, a big who's mostly a defensive presence and not so much of a scorer, will help us big time this season.

I'll clarify my thoughts on that, it needs to improve, drastically, IMO on the defensive end. We need to be able to put more than one post player on the court at once if we want to, which I don't think we can do right now (maybe if Smith returns this season that will change). We've got great depth at the 1, 2 and 3 and we've got some really nice 3 1/2 type guys, but if we want to be considered a top flight team, we need more post depth, especially on the defensive end.

The tournament is a funny thing. If you get past the first weekend and anything can happen. 

Dirk Chatelain wrote this in his mad chatter column today:

Finally, I walked about 100 yards with Tim Miles outside Memorial Stadium Saturday. With all the people asking Miles for photos and hand shakes, Miles said he lost his recruit in the crowd.

Apparently he found him. Ed Morrow, a power forward from Chicago, committed to NU’s 2015 class, joining point guard Glynn Watson, forward Michael Jacobson and Kansas transfer Andrew White. If the class stays together, analysts will surely call it one of the best in Husker history.

They should do their research on Andre Woolridge and Erick Strickland, but that’s beside the point. Miles is parlaying last year’s banner season on the court into a banner recruiting year.

As successful as Miles was in grabbing transfers, I was surprised (and a bit alarmed) that he hadn’t grabbed any Top-100 recruits his first two years in Lincoln. Was it ever gonna happen?

Unless Tai Webster breaks out, I think the Huskers will struggle in 2014-15 to meet lofty expectations. But if Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields and Walt Pitchford all return for their senior seasons, 2015-16 could be special. Consider the cast of characters:

Perimeter: Petteway, Shields, White, Watson, Tarin Smith, Tai Webster, Benny Parker

Interior: Pitchford, Morrow, Nick Fuller, Jake Hammond

There will attrition, there always is in college basketball. Somebody will transfer. Maybe Petteway declares for the NBA. But Nebraska is not a flash in the pan. The Big Ten better take Miles seriously.

Finally, I walked about 100 yards with Tim Miles outside Memorial Stadium Saturday. With all the people asking Miles for photos and hand shakes, Miles said he lost his recruit in the crowd.

Apparently he found him. Ed Morrow, a power forward from Chicago, committed to NU’s 2015 class, joining point guard Glynn Watson, forward Michael Jacobson and Kansas transfer Andrew White. If the class stays together, analysts will surely call it one of the best in Husker history.

They should do their research on Andre Woolridge and Erick Strickland, but that’s beside the point. Miles is parlaying last year’s banner season on the court into a banner recruiting year.

As successful as Miles was in grabbing transfers, I was surprised (and a bit alarmed) that he hadn’t grabbed any Top-100 recruits his first two years in Lincoln. Was it ever gonna happen?

Unless Tai Webster breaks out, I think the Huskers will struggle in 2014-15 to meet lofty expectations. But if Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields and Walt Pitchford all return for their senior seasons, 2015-16 could be special. Consider the cast of characters:

Perimeter: Petteway, Shields, White, Watson, Tarin Smith, Tai Webster, Benny Parker

There will attrition, there always is in college basketball. Somebody will transfer. Maybe Petteway declares for the NBA. But Nebraska is not a flash in the pan. The Big Ten better take Miles seriously.

And you forgot Mr. Jacobson who may end up being a sleeper/steal in this recruiting class.

I disagree with Dirk on this. 

I don't think this season will be a struggle, first of all.  And I don't think people have lofty expectations, either.  I don't think we depend on Tai to have a "break-out" season in order to do well.

I think Husker hoops fans are usually pretty realistic in their expectations if not a little fatalistic.  Over the last dozen years or so, at least, we've always sort of just hoped not to suck too badly.  I think people are hoping we win a game in the dance this year, which will require a return trip.  But there's only one game in between winning our fist NCAA tourney game and reaching the Sweet 16.

I don't think we'll struggle this year.  Let me just reiterate what I kept saying all last winter, from about February 1 on:  Either we're good enough or we're not.  I said it wasn't a fluke and it wasn't luck.  We won the games we won last year because we were good enough to win them.  I see no reason whatsoever (barring unforeseen injuries) why we won't be even a bit better this year.  I strongly disagree that this team overachieved last year.  We were good enough to make the dance last year and we'll be even (slightly) better this year.  The main reasons we were good last year have all returned along with a couple of additional pieces of the puzzle.

Finally, Tai doesn't need to "break out."  Even if he's no better than he was last year -- which I don't for a moment expect -- we'll be fine.  But I believe it's more than reasonable for us to expect Tai to take a good-sized step forward.  And even a moderate step forward (by freshman-to-sophomore standards) will be a big help for us.  We know he worked hard with Terran during the off-season.  He now knows the lay of the college basketball landscape.  He's going to start the year with a significantly better understanding of where he fits in and how.  The game will slow down and his decision making will improve.  He doesn't have to become a statistical leader in any category except assists.  Six points, three assists and no more than 1.5 turnovers per game would certainly not qualify as "break-out season" type numbers but would be more than enough improvement to benefit this team and make it better.  And, compared to his numbers last year of 3.9 pts, 2 assists and 1.8 turnovers, that's a very reachable set of benchmarks.

I disagree with Dirk on this. 

I don't think this season will be a struggle, first of all.  And I don't think people have lofty expectations, either.  

You might be right in terms of the local fans, but nationally, this team is being called a top 15 team and picked second in the conference. They've never played with those sort of expectations. I've seen teams at higher levels than this one handle lesser expectations poorly. Along with expectations come attention and you'll see this team scrutinized unlike it's ever been before, both in the media and on the court. I think I agree with you that this team could be better than last year, but there are other factors that will impact this team that they didn't have to deal with last year. I'm very anxious to see how they handle them.

Ed Morrow, a power forward from Chicago, committed to NU’s 2015 class, joining point guard Glynn Watson, forward Michael Jacobson and Kansas transfer Andrew White. If the class stays together, analysts will surely call it one of the best in Husker history.

They should do their research on Andre Woolridge and Erick Strickland, but that’s beside the point. 

Shucks, you could be one of the best of all time and not better than the class of Strickland, Woolridge, and Boone but that's beside the point.

I dont see this team faltering.  They will be better , my guess is 2-3 wins, than last season.  They are night and day better to start the season and the hard work and dedication put in by the players will be shown on the court.

Agreed, and that factors in tougher B1G schedule and not being able to sneak up on anyone this year.  Non-conference alone will probably be 2 wins better.

I dont see this team faltering.  They will be better , my guess is 2-3 wins, than last season.  They are night and day better to start the season and the hard work and dedication put in by the players will be shown on the court.

Agreed, and that factors in tougher B1G schedule and not being able to sneak up on anyone this year.  Non-conference alone will probably be 2 wins better.

Certainly possible.  There are some real cupcakes on the schedule, but also 4 or 5 games that are lose-able.  That R.I. game is kind of a trap game, isn't it?  But then I thought the Fresno St FB game may have been a trap game.

Regarding the national title contender thing, anyone that makes the tournament out of a power league is one.  We would never be more than an 8 point dog against anyone in that tournament.  If you trust Vegas that means we can win any game we play.  And that is why I just want to get to the thing again this year.  We can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere with this bunch.  But we still have to play well to have that opportunity.