Omaha competing for 2018 Big Ten MBB Tournament

Nebrasketballer

I suggest they put the Men's baseball and basketball tournaments in these same 3 towns during three consecutive springs.

Then they should add up the total attendance registered in each city...

Finally, they should award a 10 year contract for the men's basketball and baseball tournament to the town with the highest attendance.

OMax rocks with Husker fans!

I suggest they put the Men's baseball and basketball tournaments in these same 3 towns during three consecutive springs.

Then they should add up the total attendance registered in each city...

Finally, they should award a 10 year contract for the men's basketball and baseball tournament to the town with the highest attendance.

OMax rocks with Husker fans!

Detroit would win this going away simply because they can put twice as many people in Ford Field than they can for Century Link or Target Center.

And you KNOW Michigan and MSU fans would pack Ford Field for their games.

Detroit would win this going away simply because they can put twice as many people in Ford Field than they can for Century Link or Target Center.

I think you are missing the baseball component, as Minneapolis showed (and I believe the same would happen in Detroit)...nobody shows up in those towns for baseball while Omaha's five-day total was a Big Ten Tournament record of 62,020...and it will only go up as the Huskers get better! The previous Big Ten tournament attendance totals were about 60K short of Omaha.

While I have never been to Ford Field or The Palace of Auburn Hills...I don't think the B1G would be anywhere larger than The Palace. Since I am new to following this conference...do they ever seriously try to play basketball in the (god awful for basketball) football stadiums?

Since I am new to following this conference...do they ever seriously try to play basketball in the (god awful for basketball) football stadiums?

I think it's very unlikely a conference tournament would ever be held in a football stadium. 

Since I am new to following this conference...do they ever seriously try to play basketball in the (god awful for basketball) football stadiums?

I think it's very unlikely a conference tournament would ever be held in a football stadium. 

I was hoping so and felt it very likely 49'r had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek.

I think you are missing the baseball component, as Minneapolis showed (and I believe the same would happen in Detroit)...nobody shows up in those towns for baseball while Omaha's five-day total was a Big Ten Tournament record of 62,020...and it will only go up as the Huskers get better! The previous Big Ten tournament attendance totals were about 60K short of Omaha.

While I have never been to Ford Field or The Palace of Auburn Hills...I don't think the B1G would be anywhere larger than The Palace. Since I am new to following this conference...do they ever seriously try to play basketball in the (god awful for basketball) football stadiums?

The sweet sixteen where Stephan Curry and Davidson knocked of Wisconsin was played at Ford Field. I was there at they did a pretty decent job of accommodating it

Michigan State has had a couple of regular season games at Ford Field:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketbowl

Yikes! 78,000 attendance in 2003 to see MSU lose to Kentucky.

I can't imagine wanting to be in the 25,000th worst seat much less the guy sitting in the upper end court tier.

They must have sold a lot of beer!

250px-Ford03-01.jpg

Yeah I'm sure about 75% of the spectators couldn't see what was going on on the court.  But that was the proof of concept that allowed the NCAA to decide it was okay to hold the Final Four in full stadium configurations like they do now.

I've been to some National Championships in the past. I can tell you that your seat location is crucial to your game experience. If you are in the first two levels of a football stadium, they are pretty decent seats. You are so far removed from the action and spend more time listening to other people talking if you're sitting anywhere beyond those first two levels.

I have a question.  If Omaha is successful in their efforts to land the Big 10 Basketball Championships at the CLink, how do they decide who gets tickets? 

Would season ticket holders for Creighton get any kind of priority on seats not allocated to a particular school?

Creighton wouldn't be hosting the event, Nebraska would.

Sounds like Omaha is really trying to continue to form an identity around being a collegiate/athletic town. That city really needs to work on having a stronger value proposition to bring visitors in rather than just one-time annual events.

Why? They still got a lot of the major concerts. They host other big events there, too. Having a niche and being known for doing something really, really well has a lot of value.

The B1G has also knocked around the idea of splitting Lucas Oil in Indy in two and playing both the men's and women's tournaments at the same time.

I think that wouldn't be all that great for the fan experience, but I guess it might be considered "innovative" in some circles... Jim Delany, if nothing elses, generally comes up with new ideas when it comes to Big Ten championship locations. Personally, iI don't believe it makes much sense to hold both tourneys on the same field concurrently.