The Hype is Growing

HuskerActuary

ajb, I'm good with top 25.  That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that.  Yes, we should be improved.  Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces.  But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent. 

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking.  But I don't think we're there quite yet.  Not in the pre-season.  I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

I would think somewhere between 21 & 25 would be appropriate for us going into the year.

ajb, I'm good with top 25.  That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that.  Yes, we should be improved.  Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces.  But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent. 

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking.  But I don't think we're there quite yet.  Not in the pre-season.  I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

Pitchford is a lot closer than you are giving him credit for.  He learn a couple back to the basket moves... LOOK OUT!

Pitchford is a lot closer than you are giving him credit for.  He learn a couple back to the basket moves... LOOK OUT!

The proof is in the (eating of the) pudding.  Let's see it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2191137-2014-ncaa-tournament-teams-from-each-major-conference-least-likely-to-return/page/6

I am guessing this guy don't have us in the top 25 since he thinks we wont make it back to the tournament this year all because we lost Leslee Smith????... hmmmmmm...  I don't know about that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2191137-2014-ncaa-tournament-teams-from-each-major-conference-least-likely-to-return/page/6

I am guessing this guy don't have us in the top 25 since he thinks we wont make it back to the tournament this year all because we lost Leslee Smith????... hmmmmmm...  I don't know about that.

While you are on page six , which is the link above...make sure to go back to page 5.

Well dude doesn't have his Husker Red colored glasses and he ain't writing his article from Hastings.:)

While you are on page six , which is the link above...make sure to go back to page 5.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2191137-2014-ncaa-tournament-teams-from-each-major-conference-least-likely-to-return/page/5

BTW, the state will not be surprised that the team in eastern Omaha is left out of the party in '15. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to argue...

51a39930-4d86-11e4-86b3-9be817ca61f0_nnd24. NEBRASKA

Last year's record: 19-13, 11-7

Key returners: G Terran Petteway, G Shavon Shields, G Tai Webster, F Walter Pitchford, F Leslee Smith, F David Rivers, G Benny Parker, F Nick Fuller

Notable newcomers: F Moses Abraham, G Tarin Smith, F/C Jake Hammond

Best-case scenario: Raucous sellout crowds, marquee wins and national headlines become the new normal for Nebraska basketball as the Huskers build on their strong finish to the regular season last year. Petteway emerges as a legitimate Big Ten player of the year candidate, putting up similar scoring numbers as last year but hitting a higher percentage of his outside shots and cutting down on the turnovers. He gets plenty of help offensively from Shields, another slashing wing with good size and athleticism. Frontcourt defense is much stronger this season because of the addition of Abraham, a 6-foot-9 defensive-minded center who went by Moses Ayegba at Georgetown. Abraham pairs well with Pitchford, a non-traditional big man more comfortable shooting pick and pop jumpers than muscling for position in the paint. Nobody overlooks Nebraska this season, but it doesn't matter because the Huskers are good enough to take opponents' best shot and still win anyway — especially at home where they're almost unbeatable with their crowd behind them. Nebraska emerges as the top challenger to Wisconsin in the Big Ten, reaches the NCAA tournament for the second straight season and performs much better than last season's opening-round flameout. The Huskers win an NCAA tournament game for the first time in program history ... and then they win another. Even after the run ends, the party keeps going as Petteway announces he'll be back for his senior season, giving the Huskers a real chance at a Final Four run. Nebraska a basketball school? Believe it.

Worst-case scenario: Raucous sellout crowds, marquee wins and national headlines prove to be a one-year wonder for Nebraska basketball as the Huskers fail to build on their strong finish from last season. Opponents defend Nebraska more intelligently this season, taking away driving lanes from Petteway and Shields and forcing them to knock down outside shots. Their erratic shooting puts more pressure on Nebraska's point guards to make plays — not a good thing since that's an area of concern for the Huskers. Webster's confidence is still shaken from a rough finish to his freshman season and proves too turnover-prone once again. Parker's defense is still much more of an asset than his offense and the talented Smith isn't ready to make an immediate impact as a freshman. Unexpected losses pile up early in Big Ten play and waning enthusiasm makes Pinnacle Bank Arena less of an advantage for the Huskers. Nebraska is still good enough to salvage an NIT bid but there's no return trip to the NCAA tournament. Petteway turns pro and Husker fans start looking ahead to spring football. Nebraska a basketball school? Not yet.

After years of feeling like a spectator...I suddenly feel like we are on the launch pad awaiting the countdown to liftoff.

"T minus 30 and counting."  Shorty Powers

"The fun is about to resume."  trickey