The Hype is Growing

HuskerActuary

I couldn't disagree more with Norm. 

I'm expecting a Sweet 16 appearance this year.  Which means I'm expecting Huskers to be ranked in the Top 20, actually the Top 15. 

I am assuming better PG play.  I am also assuming Moses will at least be able to meet the production Smith provided last year. 

Shields will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe Shields as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

Pitchford will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe also Pitchford as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

And to top it off - Terran is on a mission.  I just think he is going to be on another level than everyone this year.  His hard work is going to show up in spades. 

Injuries could derail this team, but the sky is the limit if they stay healthy.  Even Top 10 wouldn't surprise me in the least.  

We aren't a top 10 team to start the season.  Or top 11.  I'd be happy if we found a spot in the top 25, but I wouldn't be offended if we were simply among other teams receiving votes.  But we're not top 10.  Or top 11.  And we should banish such silly thoughts from our heads.

We have a lot of good things going for us right now and I think we'll be a good team again, but Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State didn't stop recruiting and didn't concede any games.  Neither did Indiana.  Or Minnesota.  Or Purdue.  Or ... you get the picture.  I wouldn't pick us 2nd in the conference and I would be surprised if we finish that high.

I would be happy to finish top 4 again and get another trip to the dance with a 7 seed or betterWe have some good players but we don't have top 100 talent up and down the roster like many of the teams that will be in front of us, of which there are more than 10.

ajb, I'm good with top 25.  That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that.  Yes, we should be improved.  Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces.  But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent. 

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking.  But I don't think we're there quite yet.  Not in the pre-season.  I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

So, the area of disagreement would be that I think, IN THE PRE-SEASON, we aren't top 10 and you think we are.

And I don't think, outside of Terran Petteway, that we have NBA talent and you do.

And you think Sweet 16 and 4-seed whereas I'm thinking 5 or 6 seed, maybe 7.

Is that pretty much what you disagree with me completely about?

Aside from the "couldn't disagree more" part, I'm not sure our views are that far apart.

I'm expecting a Sweet 16 appearance this year.  Which means I'm expecting Huskers to be ranked in the Top 20, actually the Top 15. 

I am assuming better PG play.  I am also assuming Moses will at least be able to meet the production Smith provided last year. 

Shields will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe Shields as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

Pitchford will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe also Pitchford as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

And to top it off - Terran is on a mission.  I just think he is going to be on another level than everyone this year.  His hard work is going to show up in spades. 

Injuries could derail this team, but the sky is the limit if they stay healthy.  Even Top 10 wouldn't surprise me in the least.  

We aren't a top 10 team to start the season.  Or top 11.  I'd be happy if we found a spot in the top 25, but I wouldn't be offended if we were simply among other teams receiving votes.  But we're not top 10.  Or top 11.  And we should banish such silly thoughts from our heads.

We have a lot of good things going for us right now and I think we'll be a good team again, but Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State didn't stop recruiting and didn't concede any games.  Neither did Indiana.  Or Minnesota.  Or Purdue.  Or ... you get the picture.  I wouldn't pick us 2nd in the conference and I would be surprised if we finish that high.

I would be happy to finish top 4 again and get another trip to the dance with a 7 seed or betterWe have some good players but we don't have top 100 talent up and down the roster like many of the teams that will be in front of us, of which there are more than 10.

ajb, I'm good with top 25.  That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that.  Yes, we should be improved.  Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces.  But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent. 

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking.  But I don't think we're there quite yet.  Not in the pre-season.  I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

So, the area of disagreement would be that I think, IN THE PRE-SEASON, we aren't top 10 and you think we are.

And I don't think, outside of Terran Petteway, that we have NBA talent and you do.

And you think Sweet 16 and 4-seed whereas I'm thinking 5 or 6 seed, maybe 7.

Is that pretty much what you disagree with me completely about?

Aside from the "couldn't disagree more" part, I'm not sure our views are that far apart

I'd say that's a lot of disagreement.  

For the sake of discussion, if you were to say they should be ranked #24 and I say #12, we disagree by 100%.

Saying NU should be ranked in the Top 25 is a pretty safe prediction. 

Saying NU should be ranked in the Top 10 is a bold prediction.  

But I get what you are saying Norm.  

Saying we disagree 100% is misleading.  If you had said we should be #1 and I said, no, I'd put Kentucky #1 and us #2, my pick would still be 100% more than yours but still very close.  Close, like one spot different.

It depends on more variables.  If you say, out of 350 D1 teams, we shold be ranked 12th and I say 24th, I'm within 3.5% of where you'd rank us.  You'd say top 3.5%.  I'd be saying top 7%.  That's the difference between a 31 on your ACT and a 30, just for some perspective.

And I'm saying that you can't justify a top 10 rating (or one spot out of it) as a pre-season ranking.  Pre-season.  What we have coming back -- the knowns -- don't justify being ranked one spot out of the top 10, IMO.  Just like last year, I thought there was no way in hell we'd finish last in the conference but I understood why people had us picked there.  Because the knows at the beginning of the season last year didn't justify picking us any higher. 

Where we start isn't necessarily where we finish, though.

OK, you want a bold prediction?

How about this?

By the time Nebraska picks up it's first loss of the 2014-15 season at Wisconsin on January 15, Nebraska will be ranked in the top 5.

Is that bold enough for you?

(We still don't deserve to be ranked that near the top 10 in the pre-season.)  :P 

OK, you want a bold prediction?

How about this?

By the time Nebraska picks up it's first loss of the 2014-15 season at Wisconsin on January 15, Nebraska will be ranked in the top 5.

Is that bold enough for you?

(We still don't deserve to be ranked that near the top 10 in the pre-season.)  :P 

I like that prediction Norm - A Lot! 

Screw it. I'm all-in on the hype. I'm not going to allow the shortcomings of the Pre-Miles era deter my hopes and expectations for this team. We're the 11th best team in the country.... Yeah, I said it.

Edit: For the record:

-All of the Top 11 teams in the 2013 Athlon Preview ended up making the tourney.

-8 teams advanced to the round of 32.

-5 teams advanced to the Sweet 16.

-9 teams finished in the Final Coaches Top 25.

You're completely entitled to your opinion, but those are a lot of assumptions you stated. And a few of those are entirely out of NU's control. If I have learned anything, it's that chaos tends to happen at least once during any team's season. Not everything is going to play out the way we would expect (positive and negative). However, if all of the conditions that you stated are met, we will definitely be in a good position to compete on the national level.

I want to make the NCAA tourney.  That is my goal.  It won't be easy.  But I think if we do make it, we will be capable of winning any game we play in the thing.  We will have the experience of it, and will be very battle tested in the league.  We need to play extremely well out of league to make the task a little easier.  We cannot win the NCAA tourney if we don't make the NCAA tourney.  So that is my primary goal for this club.  There are going to be a lot of close league games.  We are going to need to win our share.  If we run bad in close ones, we are going to have problems even making the dance even if we are better than last year in reality. 

This is Anthlon's predicted B1G finish

"The complete predicted Big Ten order of finish: Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern and Rutgers."

according to this Indiana U site quoting Anthlon

http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/09/09/indiana-picked-to-finish-8th-in-big-ten-by-athlon-sports/

At this point in the year, why not be optimistic? Given the talent we have coming back and the losses by other teams in our league, I can see us being rated quite highly since the Big Ten is routinely considered one of the top three conferences nationally. This is all good. The only problem with this will be the huge pile of lemmings which accumulates at the bottom of the cliff when the team stubs its toe the first time (ref. NU football since the TO era). Let's hope the team doesn't read any of the preseason stuff and just brings home some NCAA wins this time.

At this point in the year, why not be optimistic? Given the talent we have coming back and the losses by other teams in our league, I can see us being rated quite highly since the Big Ten is routinely considered one of the top three conferences nationally. This is all good. The only problem with this will be the huge pile of lemmings which accumulates at the bottom of the cliff when the team stubs its toe the first time (ref. NU football since the TO era). Let's hope the team doesn't read any of the preseason stuff and just brings home some NCAA wins this time.

This is all Miles has to say

"What were you guys picked to do last year?  That is right dead last!  Preseason rankings mean nothing and you guys were on the opposite end last year.  The only way you can be a top 10 team is by proving it on the court."