SIAP: Anya Kalenta -- Hall of Fame Jersey

Norm Peterson

"The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame has requested Vincennes University sophomore forward and NJCAA All-American Anya Kalenta’s jersey to display in the Hall’s Ring of Honor to recognize her outstanding play for the Trailblazers during the 2013-14 season."

http://www.njcaa.org/newsArticle.cfm?articleId=21785

Couldn't get that link above to work

http://govutrailblazers.com/articles/05-14/vu-soph-anya-kalenta%E2%80%99s-jersey-requested-women%E2%80%99s-basketball-hall-fame

A lot of the same stuff is in both articles. (read the first link late today) after finally getting Norms link to be happy with my computer.

“She never seemed to have an off-day in practice and she led by example with hard work and a love for the game,” he added. “With her work ethic, I know she’s going to be successful at Nebraska and she’ll certainly enjoy this opportunity to play in the Big 10.”

Isn't she suppose to get here this weekend?

Got some nice credentials.  Sure looks good on paper.

Hope she gets up to speed quickly and see how she can contribute to the already strong new group of girls.

Good for her, a great achievement no doubt. The question I have though is, if her play on the court last season was good enough to warrant juco ring of honor honors, why didn't teams in her own back yard like Purdue, Notre Dame, Louisville, Indiana  and even Illinois offer her a scholarship? Was she that far under the radar that no one even noticed? It'd be great though if she could come in and put up the kind of numbers she had in the juco ranks.

Good for her, a great achievement no doubt. The question I have though is, if her play on the court last season was good enough to warrant juco ring of honor honors, why didn't teams in her own back yard like Purdue, Notre Dame, Louisville, Indiana  and even Illinois offer her a scholarship? Was she that far under the radar that no one even noticed? It'd be great though if she could come in and put up the kind of numbers she had in the juco ranks.

She was only at Vincennes one year after transferring from Broward in Florida, so it's possible that she wasn't on any of the local schools' radars during the November signing period and it's possible, therefore, that Purdue, Notre Dame, Louisville, etc., either didn't have room or didn't have need at her position when the spring signing period rolled around and they finally knew who she was.

Which all works out to our advantage, right?

Connie doesn't take a lot of jucos, but she took this one.  And everything I've read about this young lady is that she's very coachable, works very hard, and doesn't take plays off during practice.  And from what I saw of the Husker women's practices I was able to sneak into during the Doc era (why they didn't kick me out, I have no idea), those are traits that Connie will definitely appreciate.

I'm pretty sure NU (Shimmy ?)  went and watched Kalenta play.....so she was recruited after seeing her playing in person.

As said, it might be the case, that she was only there for one year, and some others didn't know about her...or at least didn't do their homework.  She was in Fla the year before...certainly not on the midwest radar.

And, I've mentioned before, she has more incentive to do well and work hard, more so, than the average H S grad......she left her home country and came to the US to play basketball. (which is enabling her to get her degree in Pharmacy, as I recall.) Pretty important stuff to her no doubt. .....Talk about sink or swim.

Isn't she suppose to be here about now?