Are we the new Iowa St?

Petteway -- TTU

Pitchford -- UF

AWIII -- KU

Moses -- Gtown

I'm liking what I'm seeing regarding the future of Nebraska basketball free agency aquisitions.  I can't imagine ISU is getting guys much better than this caliber at this point.  I'm going to go out on a whim and say that the transfer (assuming academically eligible) is a lower risk than a high school kid only because a transfer has proven his worth at at the D1 level.  Plus, a 2-3 year veteran is usually better and more physically ready than a 4-star fr recruit.  I'm seeing ISU as a Top 5 team next year.  It's a pretty amazing system they have. 

As far as being excited about what schools we are acquiring these guys from, I'd say that Pitchford has actually been the biggest get.  TM got him from UF (which I would call arguably the best program out of the ones listed) after a losing season.  That's pretty incredible.  AWIII is an awesome get too, but we're a tournament team now.  It's time to get used to winning and being considered.  Soon, we'll be used to getting commits. 

So, I wonder what the plan is going forward regarding transfers, because it certainly appears TM has gone down the ISU path.  Are they the solution or the band aid until we're recruiting 3-4 stars consistently?  Or will it continue to be a combination.  Either way, it's working. 

ISU has been a proven commodity and feel they have gotten more high caliber recruits to transfer in to them.  NU had unproven guys in Petteway and Pitchford that paid off huge in dividends that helped get NU on the map to land a big fish in White.  I think going forward Miles will continue to find at least 1 transfer a year because even with success its tough to get kids from basketball hot beds to come to the midwest out of HS so you have to try and get them on the rebound in other ways.

I wouldn't put us on ISU's level yet, but there seems to be movement in that direction.

It's a formula that has some proven benefits.  You can't become Kentucky by taking Kentucky's sloppy seconds, but you can become better than you were and get yourself moving up the ladder.  Transfers are relatively less risky than someone from high school because you get to see a little more of what they become.  A high schooler who "projects" to six feet ten but in reality never passes six feet seven, well, now you know.

The problem we found/find ourselves in is that the great (4 and 5 star) prospects are difficult to lure to a program with little to no history.  We can get them here for a looksie, but that is about it.  We need to establish ourselves and then...perhaps then, we will get the high star talent to come. 

In the meantime, Coach Miles and his staff need stopgap alternatives.  Those short-term solutions historically have been JUCO's.  However, due to transfer mania, this new breed of player is now available.  Coach Miles is fishing that pond and heretofore, has had success. 

Hopefully, within the next couple of years, we will start landing the big fish by way of incoming freshmen...in the meantime, we need to get our star power any way we can get them, and then continue to bring in a strong support players and hope for a few surprises via the freshmen class.

I wouldn't put us on ISU's level yet, but there seems to be movement in that direction.

It's a formula that has some proven benefits.  You can't become Kentucky by taking Kentucky's sloppy seconds, but you can become better than you were and get yourself moving up the ladder.  Transfers are relatively less risky than someone from high school because you get to see a little more of what they become.  A high schooler who "projects" to six feet ten but in reality never passes six feet seven, well, now you know.

Oh, no doubt, but we still only have one season of it on the court. ISU's not done it for three straight. I think we're strongly moving in that direction, I just can't call us the next ISU just yet, but you're right, it is a formula that can work.