No Beer at PBA

aksarben

Now if we can just figure how the arena is to make money during Basketball season so that it ends up making more than the University at the end of the fiscal year. Beer sales might not have been the solution...but they would have come a long way to help out the arena. I love the place...but the deal they made with the U was totally stupid....although most likely unavoidable. Running that place is not cheap...and the U pays nothing to help out...and yet reaps all the benefits.

2 things - first, Eichorst is not smart for basically completely slamming the door on this.  A lot can happen in 5-7 years if he is still here at that point.  Say they have to look at selling booze at the football games in attempt to keep fan interest high, or at PBA because Tim Miles leaves and we are average again.  People are going to come back to this quote.  And he's going to look pretty dumb if that happens.  Not saying these things WILL happen but they could, and all he had to do was say something like "we've evaluated it, and at this time it's not something we are interested in pursuing."

Second, yes, the arena gave the U a very friendly deal.  That's their own fault.  I don't know how PBA management looked at the idea of having to wait until August to know what is going on in November through March was a good idea.  Or how blocking out an additional 40 days a year for women's games where the building is 1/3 full made any sense from a business standpoint.  Again, that is their own fault.  The U basically got a new building without having to pay for it.  Kudos to Tom Osborne.

3rd, I also think his quotes "I don't think that has any role in college athletics, particularly at a place like Nebraska," and "You can walk across the street and catch a pop." are extremely contradictory.

So basically he is saying alcohol has no role in college athletics, but acknowledging that you can go get drunk before the games across the street.  Makes a ton of sense.

2 things - first, Eichorst is not smart for basically completely slamming the door on this.  A lot can happen in 5-7 years if he is still here at that point.  Say they have to look at selling booze at the football games in attempt to keep fan interest high, or at PBA because Tim Miles leaves and we are average again.  People are going to come back to this quote.  And he's going to look pretty dumb if that happens.  Not saying these things WILL happen but they could, and all he had to do was say something like "we've evaluated it, and at this time it's not something we are interested in pursuing."

Second, yes, the arena gave the U a very friendly deal.  That's their own fault.  I don't know how PBA management looked at the idea of having to wait until August to know what is going on in November through March was a good idea.  Or how blocking out an additional 40 days a year for women's games where the building is 1/3 full made any sense from a business standpoint.  Again, that is their own fault.  The U basically got a new building without having to pay for it.  Kudos to Tom Osborne.

And that could very well be what happens. The U is not going to do anything that going to help the situation at PBA.  I could actually see the city having to sell the arena to the U for pennies on the dollar sometime down the road if they can start making up for the millions in lost revenue that they give to the U. The U could take over and say no more concerts no more anything but University sports there. I admit that is worst case...but still could happen.  I mean look at the ice rink we are going to be building.  It's going to be public for the first 15 years I believe and then the U is pretty much given the building lock stock and barrel.

I honestly don't care if the Arena is overly profitable, or slightly unprofitable.  It is extremely valuable for the city.  

But at some point, in order to keep the arena and its surrounding developments alive and growing, the arena is going to have to be able to be given more flexibility in scheduling.  It will be interesting to see if the number/quality of acts degrades over the next few years as the shiny new factor wears off.  I hope it doesn't but worry that it will.

Do you know how long NU's lease with the city is?

As for the money part of beer sales, I'm pretty sure that Eichorst looks at everything right now with Big 10 Network tinted glasses. We are rolling in so much BTN money that we can not sell beer, and we can fire Paul Meyers even if it pisses off a bunch of the Omaha money.

As for the money part of beer sales, I'm pretty sure that Eichorst looks at everything right now with Big 10 Network tinted glasses. We are rolling in so much BTN money that we can not sell beer, and we can fire Paul Meyers even if it pisses off a bunch of the Omaha money.

HB,

Perhaps I missed it...so could you please explain where the information comes from that Paul Meyers was fired.

I never could figure if he quit, got fired or something in between. Please tell me what you know.

HB,

Perhaps I missed it...so could you please explain where the information comes from that Paul Meyers was fired.

I never could figure if he quit, got fired or something in between. Please tell me what you know.

I'm not going to tell you what I know because it's not anything definitive, from the horse's mouth, etc.  It's just that the non-definitive information I have, which I feel is absolutely reliable, would be totally inconsistent with a voluntary resignation.  So ... let's just say Paul Meyers was fires.

And that could very well be what happens. The U is not going to do anything that going to help the situation at PBA.  I could actually see the city having to sell the arena to the U for pennies on the dollar sometime down the road if they can start making up for the millions in lost revenue that they give to the U. 

There probably wouldn't be a new arena without the University.

This year it did in fact make money. 

If there were beer sales would all or some of that money go back to the U?

The U pays for staffing the games...how much more overhead would this be?

Unless it's a huge chunk of change it currently doesn't seem worth the hassle.  Some of that hassle would be hearing about it from the other sports where you don't serve alcohol because it's on property you own.

If there were beer sales would all or some of that money go back to the U?

The U pays for staffing the games...how much more overhead would this be?

Unless it's a huge chunk of change it currently doesn't seem worth the hassle.  Some of that hassle would be hearing about it from the other sports where you don't serve alcohol because it's on property you own.

I'd think they would have to rewrite the contract.  From talking to people at the Arena..the U already gets there cut of the concessions due to having to pay them for lost concessions due to moving the games from the Bob to the arena.  I believe that is a flat fee of $300,000 (http://watchdog.org/156627/unl-arena/).  The people I've spoke to said that if they were to allow beer/alcohol sales at the game that the money would go to the arena as their part of the concessions. This would probably be a huge chunk of change due to rights to sell beer/booze at the arena. 

The U pays for staffing?  What part?  Most of the people are employees of the arena.  Do you mean that the U pays the Arena to staff?  Due to all the credits the U gets that amount is pretty much returned to the U when all the money swaps hands at the end of the fiscal year and the Arena...again see the link above.

• 10 months later...

KNTK - Morning Take:  Texas selling alcohol for college football…is it time for Nebraska to, as well?

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/morningtake/2015_06_18_3.mp3

(10:54)

The Longhorns have decided its time to bring alcohol into college football, starting this year. Is it time for Nebraska to consider doing the same at Memorial Stadium?

KNTK - Morning Take:  BEER at Huskers games? Texas is doing it, why not Nebraska?

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/gaskinsstephens/2015_06_18_4.mp3

(25:58)

Longhorns had “no issues” selling beer at basketball and baseball games and will do it at football games. Why is NU so cautious? Lots of people weigh in on both sides.

KNTK - Drop the Mike:  Texas is allowing alcohol sales at their football games, is it time for Huskers to do the same?

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/dropthemike/2015_06_18_4.mp3

(24:42)

Texas is very rarely right, but the fact they’re doing it now makes them look weak. Huskers doing it now would be a power move.

KNTK - Drop the Mike:  Continued: Should Nebraska allow alcohol sales at sporting events?

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/dropthemike/2015_06_18_5.mp3

(14:08)

Also, 15 year old Cole Hammer nearly has a panic attack at U.S. Open 1st tee. Is 15 too young for an event this large?