Jessica Shepard's Team USA U-18 journey

Row6Seat10

On a quest for a seventh-consecutive gold medal in FIBA Americas U18 Championship play, the 2014 USA Basketball Women’s U18 National Team will begin its training camp on July 26 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center (USOTC) in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Training camp will continue through Aug. 5, prior to the start of the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship that will take place Aug. 6-10 at the USOTC.

"I'm excited to finally start this journey with this versatile group of U18 players,” said Dawn Staley, a three-time Olympic gold medalist and head coach of the USA U18 National Team and at the University of South Carolina. “We will utilize our players in a way that will increase our chances to win gold. If it all plays out like we envision, the players will get better and we will win a gold medal. So I look forward to meeting both of those goals.”

The 2014 USA U18 National Team, which was selected on May 26 after six trials sessions, is headlined by a trio of USA Basketball gold medalists, including Receé Caldwell (Homeschooled/ San Antonio, Texas); Brianna Turner (Manvel H.S/Pearland, Texas) and A’ja Wilson (Heathwood Hall H.S./ Hopkins, S.C.).

Playing on their first USA Basketball team will be: Ariel Atkins (Duncanville H.S./Duncanville, Texas); Napheesa Collier (Incarnate Word Academy/O’Fallon, Mo.); Paris Kea (Greensboro Page H.S./ Greensboro, N.C.); Marina Mabrey (Manasquan H.S./Manasquan, N.J.); Teaira McCowan (Brenham H.S./ Brenham, Texas); Beatrice Mompremier (Miami H.S./Miami, Fla.); Mariya Moore (Salesian H.S./Richmond, Calif.); Jessica Shepard (Fremont H.S./Fremont, Neb.); and Destinee Walker (Lake Highland Prep School/ Ocoee, Fla.).

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/07/usa-basketball-u18-womens-national-team-begins-training-camp.aspx

http://archive.usab.com/womens/u18/schedule.html

Excellent read...

Sounds like Jess is really competing...and learning about the higher level of play.  She seems to revel in the competition.

It obviously will pay off when she finally comes to NU.

I know it's been said before, but......Good for her.... to use her talent, and be able to get to this point...to represent the USA

Very pround of her and what she's accomplished !

Final score: Team USA 104 - Mexico 55

“We came out energized; we made a conscious effort to get the post players the ball and take advantage of our size,” said USA head coach Dawn Staley (University of South Carolina). “I think for the most part they executed the game plan.”

Finishing with 16 points apiece were Jessica Shepard (Fremont H.S./Fremont, Neb.) and Brianna Turner (Manvel H.S/Pearland, Texas), who also grabbed seven rebounds; while A’ja Wilson (Heathwood Hall H.S./ Hopkins, S.C.) finished with a 15-point, 10-rebound double-double; Napheesa Collier (Incarnate Word Academy/O’Fallon, Mo.) added 10 points and eight rebounds; and Destinee Walker (Lake Highland Prep School/Ocoee, Fla.) scored 10 points.

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/08/usa-women-open-fiba-americas-u18-championship-with-commanding-104-55-win-over-mexico.aspx

Jessica Shepard (Fremont H.S./Fremont, Neb.)
On her overall thoughts of tonight’s team win:
I think tonight we came out and showed the other teams how we can play. I think we used the inside really well and I think if we keep doing that it will open up the outside shooters a lot.

On her first experience playing for the USA:
When we were walking out for opening ceremonies, it just kind of gives you the chills. To be representing you country and to actually get out there and play, it’s just an amazing feeling.

On how well the team executed the game plan tonight:
I think our game plan was to get the ball inside and I think we did a good job of that and finishing.

What does the team have to do in order to maintain their advantage on the boards?
I think for rebounding it’s all effort, so if we keep going hard to the boards, that will be a big advantage for us.

Other Quotes: http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/08/additional-quotes-wu18-vs-mexico.aspx

Box Score

I couldn't watch the game live, so thanks rand909 for the video.

Wow, nice game girls.

Jess looked real good in the paint, very strong play inside. Nice in control play, with picture perfect footwork. In fact she looked to be one of the more skilled "bigs" working the inside, and finishing.  Mexico had no answer for her.

A'ja Wilson and Brianna Turner are the real deal. Very mobile and complete players. (as was most of he team)

Three shooting wasn't there. But didn't look like 3 shooting was the scheme anyway. USA had much more size, and completely dominated the boards. Defense on the three needs work, but it was first game.

Look forward to seeing more. :D

Team USA wins it 118-50

Jessica plays just over 11 minutes going 8-9 from field scoring 17 points and grabbed 1 rebound.

Yea, she played less minutes than just about anybody, yet scrored nealry the most points (18).  The opponent was weak for sure, but it kind of looked like the coaches just let everyone else play a lot.

If your a Husker like me.......I interprete that as Shepard's dominance spoke for it's self, and there was no need for her get a lot of playing time in that type of game.  :D

Next game today (Fri)  at 5:30 p.m. (M.Time?) Canada - USA...on Youtube ? Should be a much tougher test for the girls.

Probably will be in Championship round semi's at 3:30 Sat if USA beats Canada today.