We need to improve?

Row6Seat10

I get the sense most everyone is pretty much satisfied with where the program is now standing in regards to being a top 25 program year in year out. I also know everyone who posts on here at one time or another would hope to see some improvement next season in various different areas, such as rebounding, turnovers or free throws percentage, even recruiting or whatever, like the saying goes "you get an inch you want a mile".

In an attempt to generate more conversation among HHC and maybe get a few lurkers to join HHC I'm going to pose the following question.

......... if you were to pick just ONE thing that you would like to see improve for Husker wbb to become more successful as a team next season what would it be?......

The one thing that drives me nuts with the women's team is that we get a lead and they just keep playing like they are down or in a close game. Too often they run themselves out of comfortable leads and have to hang on to win some games sometimes. If the lead is good maybe run some clock on a few positions instead of getting the quick shot off.

Minor problem for me.

I'd like to see us improve our shooting percentage around the basket. Granted they aren't going to get all of them to fall but there were quite a few shots that should have went in last year and at times we struggled to draw iron.

If the Huskers could have connected under the bucket more last year I'm guessing we would have had maybe 10-12 points more per game. If we could have kids finish around the bucket consistently like what Karen Jennings or Kelsey Griffin did in the past we'd be looking at maybe 3 - 4 more wins in the win column. 

Deeper bench....

Last year may have been an anomaly, but haven't seen where NU can call on 3, 4 or more, to come off the bench , and play nearly as well as  the starters. Last year it was the starters and Havers off the bench. ...........Not enough.

I fully realize that you must have skilled players to do that......and we may be seeing the problem being solved right before our eyes, with maybe the 2 best recruiting classes coming to NU. ....We'll see some of the bench problem solved next season hopefully.

Winning the last few years has made a remarkable change, in being able to find more skilled recruits. And one or two of the "star" level players.

But we won't get to the "next level" until our depth is full of capable contributers, that can fill in when a starter gets in foul trouble, etc.

I just want to see them continue to improve.

I'm going to break the rules and list a couple of things.  First, development of a solid bench.  That will not only help us this year (and maybe we won't have that "hold on long enough to win" thing going on since our players won't have fatigue as an issue), but it will also help us next year when those bench players become starters.  And the other thing is to see Sample score 6-8 points per game.  She can do it, she has done it a few times (thinking specifically of our final game), but she needs to not be afraid to chuck in an open shot occasionally (and make the bunnies).  Other teams leave her open, make a few of those shots and that will change.

I'm going to break the rules and list a couple of things.  First, development of a solid bench.  That will not only help us this year (and maybe we won't have that "hold on long enough to win" thing going on since our players won't have fatigue as an issue), but it will also help us next year when those bench players become starters.  And the other thing is to see Sample score 6-8 points per game.  She can do it, she has done it a few times (thinking specifically of our final game), but she needs to not be afraid to chuck in an open shot occasionally (and make the bunnies).  Other teams leave her open, make a few of those shots and that will change.

If I were the coach (no laughs please)...when I saw that happening...I'd put in my best scoring replacement for Sample, and see if I can't make the other team change their defense. (sagging off to defend our other scorers)

Quality depth, which I think will solved this year and next.And I'm with Huskerchode Sample has to take the shot that is being given to her, Even if she doesn't make it she has to show the opponent that she is willing to take the shot. Just my two cents worth.

If I were the coach (no laughs please)...when I saw that happening...I'd put in my best scoring replacement for Sample, and see if I can't make the other team change their defense. (sagging off to defend our other scorers)

Last year there was no better scoring option to replace Sample.

Actually she did score that last year as her PPG Avg. was 6.2. She scored 206 pts. in 33 games.http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=209302891

Quality depth, which I think will solved this year and next.And I'm with Huskerchode Sample has to take the shot that is being given to her, Even if she doesn't make it she has to show the opponent that she is willing to take the shot. Just my two cents worth.

Sure, but that was  last year.... different animal now.....and that was my whole point about lack of depth in previous post.....we couldn't do much about a lack of scoring by one player....then.

And I've posted before that I suspect Sample see's the need to score more......because of the problem it created last year....and because she can now see, there are new freshmen that can score. In this case the pressure is on her to improve, and I'll bet she will.

Sure, but that was  last year.... different animal now.....and that was my whole point about lack of depth in previous post.....we couldn't do much about a lack of scoring by one player....then.

And I've posted before that I suspect Sample see's the need to score more......because of the problem it created last year....and because she can now see, there are new freshmen that can score. In this case the pressure is on her to improve, and I'll bet she will.

I hope your right redsteve, but when Sample got the ball last year it looked like it was a hot potatoe to her.

You’ve got to play Hailie she’s too valuable to sit just because she has trouble with her shot. She’s our best defender and rebounder other than Emily and the experience she has alone warrants her good minutes on the court. My solution on the offensive side is take her off the wing and move her to the low block where opponents have to guard her. She's developed a knack to get open in the lane and opponents can’t afford to let her alone close under the bucket, which also limits their ability to double-team someone else.

You’ve got to play Hailie she’s too valuable to sit to just because she has trouble with her shot. She’s our best defender and rebounder other than Emily and the experience she has alone warrants her good minutes on the court. My solution on the offensive side is take her off the wing and move her to the low block where opponents have to guard her. She's developed a knack to get open in the lane and opponents can’t afford to let her alone close under the bucket, which also limits their ability to double-team someone else.

Nice coaching move Row 6 :) Plus she is a good ball handler on the breaks

Maybe not really be an improvement, but it would be nice to see more fast breaks.

Last year it was tough to do, because we would wear out the starters. It just didn't seem to be part of the scheme a lot.

We were more of a slow down deliberate offense.

If the other team is short on depth, running a lot can be a killer to them.

It appears that many of the freshman may have the ability to run the floor.

Most club teams do a lot of running. And our freshmen played a lot of club ball.

So could we see Cencore, Page, T, Ramono. (all the guards).....getting more quick lay ups?

It could be another way to help offset the loss of Hoopers points.

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the freshman that most people are failing to mention much that may be the most ready physically to contribute is Chandler Smith.

Your probably right Kansas.

I remember one recruiting site that said Smith could be underated and the sleeper of the Top 100 class. 

Smith was a leader and winner on the HS level. Good size at about 6', well rounded player

Cady said in the LJS article, that Smith has already shown she has a nice jump shot, and can play defense. Wouldn't be surprised at all, to see her on the floor a lot this coming year.

I will be curious to see if: a) we redshirt any of the freshman; and B) whether we sign anybody else in the 2015 class other than the 4 who have already committed.

By the way I love it that this board has been active lately even though it is summer and not bball season.

I don't know how to copy and post pictures but if anybody follows coach shimmey on twitter their was a cool picture yesterday of the team running sprints.  It was from a distance, but I think I could recognize most of the kids.

Don't want to get too far off topic here, but.....I've been thinking a lot about redshirting. It's a sutiable topic for a another thread.

We will have an abundance of guards this coming year, so if anything it could be a guard to redshirt.

Yes, Yori hasn't done much redshirting. Just my thought, but she probably couldn't because of the lack of enough skilled players at a given position.

It could be different this year.

But....We'll lose 4 starters after this year, and 2 more (jrs now) the year after.  We need experience for 2015 ans 2016, so may not see much redshirting until we have an excellent recruiting year for 2016. ......Make sense?

For those smarter than me, is it feasible to play at least 4 freshmen this year?  I would think it just comes down to, if they are ready to play obviously...but with the talent/hype, it seems they will really make a push.  Gotta get some experience for next year when we lose several starters. 

I think chandler, kaylee and nat will play at least 8-16 minutes per game for sure.  Maybe Darrien and Jasmine some also.  Darrien's playing time will depend how she does compared to our JC transfer. Jasmine's position is back logged a bit more with T and Brandi srs in front of her.  But you are correct in that there will be a need to get them PT so that their is some experience heading into the following season. 

The freshman are going to have to get way tougher physically and mentally in the next 4 months.  there is a big difference in playing between being physically dominant in hs; and being physically avg. or weak as a freshman. 

I think chandler, kaylee and nat will play at least 8-16 minutes per game for sure.  Maybe Darrien and Jasmine some also.  Darrien's playing time will depend how she does compared to our JC transfer. Jasmine's position is back logged a bit more with T and Brandi srs in front of her.  But you are correct in that there will be a need to get them PT so that their is some experience heading into the following season. 

The freshman are going to have to get way tougher physically and mentally in the next 4 months.  there is a big difference in playing between being physically dominant in hs; and being physically avg. or weak as a freshman. 

Agree with this. Also, I think part of the reason the non-conference season isn't as challenging as we've had before is to get the seven new Huskers all the experience they can muster before the conference season starts up.

Washington and Kaltena may be a little bit different type of players. Washington is more of a true post player. Kalenta looks (on video) more like Cady.... a forward working the boards, and is versatile enough to do other things. Kalenta shot about 40% from the three, so she, on paper anyway, has a lot to offer. (about 20 ppg too)

The good thing is...both have the characteristics we need, for inside work. Washinton has the physical traits to bang inside, and Kalenta has size and some experience other than HS. I guess my point is that we should be better inside, in that we'll have more to bring off the bench, so we'll keep our starters fresher.

This has got to help Cady and Havers take a breath once in a while. Not to mention, hopefully the other newbies can help give Sample a breather too.

The guards are much deeper than last year.....there's a lot to do to adapt the backcourt..... the starters, and installing the new guards (another subject for another post)

All this will take some time to develop...just depends on who steps up in the next few months.

Lots of good stuff to figure out and lots coming folks. :)