Leslee Smith out for 2014-15 with an ACL tear

hhcmatt

Maybe the football team can borrow Zach Sterup(6'8" 315) from the football team until they can find a big man.  He was a good bball player in HS, wasn't he?  How about Brent Qvale?  Does he have any eligibility left?  He was pretty good in HS too.  :D

He was only good because he was BIGGER than any of the other kids in C1& C2.

Maybe the football team can borrow Zach Sterup(6'8" 315) from the football team until they can find a big man.  He was a good bball player in HS, wasn't he?  How about Brent Qvale?  Does he have any eligibility left?  He was pretty good in HS too.  :D

He was only good because he was BIGGER than any of the other kids in C1& C2.

Not true.  Saw him beat a guy on a fast break with a nice spin move.  Good footwork involved there for a guy of his size.  Also why he's adept for the tackle position.

• 1 month later...

I assume that the plan is for Leslee to apply for a medical redshirt and play in 2015-16. It's possible he could be denied.

Is there any possibility he tries to make it back for the end of the season?

Also I assume that he will graduate at the end of the year.  It would be possible for him to transfer somewhere else.

I assume that the plan is for Leslee to apply for a medical redshirt and play in 2015-16. It's possible he could be denied.

Is there any possibility he tries to make it back for the end of the season?

Also I assume that he will graduate at the end of the year.  It would be possible for him to transfer somewhere else.

I don't assume the plan is for him to apply for medical redshirt.  It certainly could happen but not sure that is the automatical plan.  They coaches might not want to tie up his scholarship for another year and try to go get a better player.  I feel bad for Leslee as think he could have helped us this year but with is knee issues, not sure they want to roll the dice with trying to get him another year after this one.  Tough call for the coaching staff as he is definitely a team player and hope the best for him no matter what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Might need to change the topic subject line

Miles said Nebraska will explore getting a sixth year of eligibility for Smith, who missed time at SMU with a torn ACL. For now, Smith might be able to return by late January, which could lead to a decision on whether to play or seek a waiver.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/webster-playing-at-high-level-with-new-zealand/article_74eb2ba0-9b00-51ae-8b11-dc85510bf151.html#.U_yjyvpYy5E.twitter

• 4 weeks later...

I mean...it's good to be optimistic but I don't see Leslee being ready to play, and contribute, 5 months after an ACL tear.  I don't want to rain on the parade but I just do not think it's happening.

Even these freak athlete NFL guys take 8-10 months to recover properly.  And we're hoping for a full recovery in half that time?

I mean...it's good to be optimistic but I don't see Leslee being ready to play, and contribute, 5 months after an ACL tear.  I don't want to rain on the parade but I just do not think it's happening.

Even these freak athlete NFL guys take 8-10 months to recover properly.  And we're hoping for a full recovery in half that time?

Hey, Chris Niemann did it.

Does any body else have visions of Willis Reed?

It might not have not been as destroyed as was first thought. I torn my first ACL the last scrimmage before the season started. Trainer told me nothing was really wrong and then played the whole season with it torn. I had it repaired in Jan. and was playing catcher in fast pitch softball by that June and played the next season.

Now this was in football and I was a lineman so not a whole bunch of side to side motion. It was also in 1981 and wasn't a D I player but, It can be done. He just most likely won't be 100%. But hopefully could give us some good minutes when needed.

Does any body else have visions of Willis Reed?

It might not have not been as destroyed as was first thought. I torn my first ACL the last scrimmage before the season started. Trainer told me nothing was really wrong and then played the whole season with it torn. I had it repaired in Jan. and was playing catcher in fast pitch softball by that June and played the next season.

Now this was in football and I was a lineman so not a whole bunch of side to side motion. It was also in 1981 and wasn't a D I player but, It can be done. He just most likely won't be 100%. But hopefully could give us some good minutes when needed.

I don't think he was 100% anyway.  And medicine has come a very long way since 1981.  Although ACLs haven't changed much.

Good for Leslee that he's working so hard and rehab is going well.  But I don't see any way whatsoever that he returns in January.  Not going to happen.  Personally, I see almost no chance whatsoever that he returns at all this season.  

Best bet is to get a hardship and return for a sixth season. 

Just reading between the lines of his comments, he/NU are unsure he'll qualify for a 6th season hardship. I don't believe NU can even apply for the 6th season until after this upcoming season, correct? And who knows how long it'll take for a ruling to come down, especially considering NU's history with these sorts of NCAA-type decisions.

So if that's the case, I can see why he wants to try to come back for 14-15 & take the sure thing, rather than sit out 14-15 with the hope he'll get a 6th season and possibly miss out entirely.

It's going to be tough, but hopefully he'll be healthy enough to contribute!

Its also possible Leslee doesnt want to stick around for another year and would like to move on with his life so he will make the attempt to come back and give it one last ride otherwise he will call it good.

Maybe he doesn't want to have the Creighton fans think he is copying Gibbs.

I mean hes already 24 and would be a 25 year old 6th year senior next year with chronic knee issues.  At some point in life you want to move on imo when age and injuries increase.