• Germany
    • Argentina
    • Brazil
    • Columbia
    • Netherlands
    • Costa Rica
    • Belgium

What is the world cup?

Obviously you know what it is and under normal circumstances I would ignore it but why would you go on a thead about the WC and make that lame joke. There's no point poking the bee hive unless you're Ann Coulter and get paid to act the fool. Politics and sports shouldn't mix and feel free to make your anti-jokes with your crowd but there's very little difference between what you did and when some Creighton fan trolls this board.
Dean, I have no problem with you smacking Colhusker for coming on the thread and dissing soccer, but it seems that you, and only you, brought politics into the thread.
You'll have to go back and show me where I mentioned politics. I compared two people who I thought needlessly poked the bee hive. Now one of them seems to have some connection to political commentary but I'm not sure where pro or anti soccer statements place you on the political spectrum. I didn't realize pointing out hive pokers placed me on a political "team."

It is OK to sometimes be critical of your favorite basketball team but never your favorite political team? I've never discussed the balance between political and economic freedom nor the fundamental nature of Man on this board so I'm pretty sure you'd have no accurate idea of my political leanings, nor do I have any interest in offering any clues on a basketball board.

Then why didn't you mention Keith Olbermann instead of, or in addition to, Ann Coulter? He's a classic "hive poker", not to mention mean as hell and dismissive to anyone not agreeing with his views. Anyway, read your own post. You mentioned politics.

You've hammered people on here who don't like soccer since the beginning of time. You know, not everyone needs to like the sport. You're quite defensive about it.

Well i took your advise and re-read my post and nope still no mention of politics there. I mentioned Ann and not Keith because she just did the "soccer is ruining America" bit and Keith did not. Mentioning her name is not politics. If I wanted to talk politics and make a list of mean-spirited people the list could go on forever from both sides of your game. Personally for me the most annoying liberal commentator is that Ed Shultz guy. Now that I've mentioned people on both Fox & MSNBC am I OK.

I could care less if you or anyone else likes soccer. And I believe the only person I have "hammered" on this board has been Kidney et al. It does seem your second post does contradict your original statement of "I have no problem...." So from where I'm sitting you seem to be the defensive one and I'm guessing would not have posted if I left Anne's name out of things.

And yes, I guess I have resorted to poking your hive.

What is the world cup?

Obviously you know what it is and under normal circumstances I would ignore it but why would you go on a thead about the WC and make that lame joke. There's no point poking the bee hive unless you're Ann Coulter and get paid to act the fool. Politics and sports shouldn't mix and feel free to make your anti-jokes with your crowd but there's very little difference between what you did and when some Creighton fan trolls this board.
Dean, I have no problem with you smacking Colhusker for coming on the thread and dissing soccer, but it seems that you, and only you, brought politics into the thread.
You'll have to go back and show me where I mentioned politics. I compared two people who I thought needlessly poked the bee hive. Now one of them seems to have some connection to political commentary but I'm not sure where pro or anti soccer statements place you on the political spectrum. I didn't realize pointing out hive pokers placed me on a political "team."

It is OK to sometimes be critical of your favorite basketball team but never your favorite political team? I've never discussed the balance between political and economic freedom nor the fundamental nature of Man on this board so I'm pretty sure you'd have no accurate idea of my political leanings, nor do I have any interest in offering any clues on a basketball board.

Then why didn't you mention Keith Olbermann instead of, or in addition to, Ann Coulter? He's a classic "hive poker", not to mention mean as hell and dismissive to anyone not agreeing with his views. Anyway, read your own post. You mentioned politics.

You've hammered people on here who don't like soccer since the beginning of time. You know, not everyone needs to like the sport. You're quite defensive about it.

Well i took your advise and re-read my post and nope still no mention of politics there. I mentioned Ann and not Keith because she just did the "soccer is ruining America" bit and Keith did not. Mentioning her name is not politics. If I wanted to talk politics and make a list of mean-spirited people the list could go on forever from both sides of your game. Personally for me the most annoying liberal commentator is that Ed Shultz guy. Now that I've mentioned people on both Fox & MSNBC am I OK.

I could care less if you or anyone else likes soccer. And I believe the only person I have "hammered" on this board has been Kidney et al. It does seem your second post does contradict your original statement of "I have no problem...." So from where I'm sitting you seem to be the defensive one and I'm guessing would not have posted if I left Anne's name out of things.

Well, you got on CWG pretty hard just recently. And back from that you basically said if someone doesn't like soccer, they can't be knowledgeable about basketball. As for your post, the word "politics" was taken verbatim from the post. You know a lot about basketball, and I know many of us appreciate your posts in that regard. But your memory is a little short on this other stuff, and I believe you really do care about whether people like soccer, despite your claim to the contrary. Anyway, enough. Have a nice evening.

What is the world cup?

Well, you got on CWG pretty hard just recently. And back from that you basically said if someone doesn't like soccer, they can't be knowledgeable about basketball. As for your post, the word "politics" was taken verbatim from the post. You know a lot about basketball, and I know many of us appreciate your posts in that regard. But your memory is a little short on this other stuff, and I believe you really do care about whether people like soccer, despite your claim to the contrary. Anyway, enough. Have a nice evening.
Well I looked into my heart, and nope - don't care if anyone else likes soccer. I'm not looking back through quotes but I might have said something like if you are knowledgable about both sports you will realize they are about the same sport tactically, but I do admit I am not always the most tactful. Actually I'm torn like all the new bandwagon nebraska basketball fans, they are making it harder for me to get to games. I used to be able to DVR a soccer game go about my day and not worry that someone would give away the score before I could watch it. It's getting tougher to do that now.

If by saying sports should be left out of politics you say I've mentioned politics then I suppose technically you have me there even if that is the exact opposite of the meaning of that statement. Im still bitter about Carter & the olympics. So have a nice evening yourself.

Golly, I never thought my innocent little poll based upon my newly discovered appreciation for futbol would provoke such a firestorm of controversy in our cozy basketball community. I can hardly wait for a finale matching neofascist Euros against leftist Latinos. Have at it, boys.

Why does the World Cup play a third place game? Do they give out a trophy for third place? Just wondering. They do this in the Nebraska state basketball tourney too but it always is such a lackluster game. Used to be done in the NCAA and NIT as well to supposedly make the third place finishers feel better. Usually it just makes the fourth place team feel worse though.

Why does the World Cup play a third place game? Do they give out a trophy for third place? Just wondering. They do this in the Nebraska state basketball tourney too but it always is such a lackluster game. Used to be done in the NCAA and NIT as well to supposedly make the third place finishers feel better. Usually it just makes the fourth place team feel worse though.

Just been doing it forever, guess it is a tradition. And I think I read that they are dropping the third/fourth game in Nebraska. In Idaho they play all the way to a eighth place game. Then how everybody finishes is how the state standings start out the next year. So you get to be defending State the next year. I think that is kind of cool.

OK, who is the only on from HHC who wanted Argentina to win? You can step out of the closet now and join my fellow KU grad Grant Wahl who picked them in SI. Will they be able to resist the German Juggernaught?

My 10 year old made a bet with the high school coach before the Cup started. Coach took Germany and my son took Argentina. 

Congrats to the Germans. Because of this World Cup futeball is now number four on the Jimmy favorite sport list edging ahead of the Bachelorette. But that may be because I found out that the brother of one of the final three men is Aaron Murray who threw 5 TD's against NU when Georgia beat us in that bowl game.