OT: World Cup 2014

49r

Great win by Costa Rica who will probably win their group now. Just a stunning effort against a strong Italian side. Kept Pirlo on a leash which England couldn't seem to do and their high defensive line offside trap worked almost perfectly. Can't see a demoralized England hanging with them.

The poor CONCACAF region is looking good in this World Cup. USA needs to beat Portugal to keep it rolling. Wonder if we'll see Zusi and Wondo starting with the aim of pumping in tons of crosses hoping for Wondo to pounce on a rebound. Striker options aren't great.

But, back to the FIFA World Cup talk, the USA advances out of the group of death and makes the knockout stage in consecutive WC's for the first time ever.  So far, I would call it a resounding success for US Soccer.  It's been a hell of a lot of fun to watch these guys fight and scrap the way they have.

Now it's on to the round of 16 for the US.  Ranked #13 in the latest FIFA rankings, the US face #11 Belgium after playing #2 Germany and #4 Portugal...all while not having Jozy available for virtually the entire tournament.  It's gonna be a tough match, but I give our guys a fair shot of advancing to a potential game against Argentina!

Let's go US!

But, back to the FIFA World Cup talk, the USA advances out of the group of death and makes the knockout stage in consecutive WC's for the first time ever. So far, I would call it a resounding success for US Soccer. It's been a hell of a lot of fun to watch these guys fight and scrap the way they have.

Now it's on to the round of 16 for the US. Ranked #13 in the latest FIFA rankings, the US face #11 Belgium after playing #2 Germany and #4 Portugal...all while not having Jozy available for virtually the entire tournament. It's gonna be a tough match, but I give our guys a fair shot of advancing to a potential game against Argentina!

Let's go US!

I totally agree 49er! The US advanced as I thought or at least hoped they would (win, draw, and lose close) although I would have taken 30 seconds more of solid defense against Portugal and first in the group. And like you said all without Altidore! But I agree Belgium hasn't been very impressive, and we've played them twice over the last few years albeit losing both matches. So we are at least pretty familiar with them. Quarter finals against Argentina in Brazil would be amazing. All of Brazil would be cheering for us, but the stadium would be packed with Argentines. And I was really glad to see how solid Omar Gonzalez was against Germany, especially after two huge mistakes from Cameron against Portugal. I hope the team isn't too wiped out from such a tough group. But first things first: let's beat Belgium!!! USA!!!!

Everything says we should lose to belgium.  altidore still won't be 100% (although i could see him coming on late for a good 20 minutes or so).  we're obviously not 100% even with him.  they're an EXTREMELY talented squad.

But they haven't gelled.  The game is in our hemisphere.  And well...  call me crazy call me wacky... but...

It wouldn't be an upset.  And the US will take a swing.  We might not hit, and get beat, but it won't be for lack of effort or determination.

2-1 US