Miles ranked #32 best coach in nation

doc1394

ESPN posted an article of the top 50 coaches and Miles came in as #32, right above #33 Fran McCaffery.

Here is what they had  to say:

A couple of years ago, Tim Miles was the funny coach with the funny Twitter feed, the guy most likely to be sitting alone at Big Ten media day while simultaneously making fun of himself for sitting alone at Big Ten media day. (Five years ago, at Big 12 media day, that coach was Fred Hoiberg. My how things change.) Now, after taking the Cornhuskers to their first NCAA tournament since 1998 in just his second season, Miles is a bona fide rising star in the profession. He's turning Nebraska into a real program, and he has the long-run backing of the athletics department, and the elite facilities, to finish the job.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/top50coaches50-25/top-50-coaches

No. 32: Tim Miles, Nebraska

A couple of years ago, Tim Miles was the funny coach with the funny Twitter feed, the guy most likely to be sitting alone at Big Ten media day while simultaneously making fun of himself for sitting alone at Big Ten media day. (Five years ago, at Big 12 media day, that coach was Fred Hoiberg. My how things change.) Now, after taking the Cornhuskers to their first NCAA tournament since 1998 in just his second season, Miles is a bona fide rising star in the profession. He's turning Nebraska into a real program, and he has the long-run backing of the athletics department, and the elite facilities, to finish the job.

25. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
26. Archie Miller, Dayton
27. Mick Cronin, Cincinnati
28. Jim Larranaga, Miami
29. Jim Crews, Saint Louis
30. Bob Huggins, West Virginia
31. Lon Kruger, Oklahoma
32. Tim Miles, Nebraska
33. Fran McCaffery, Iowa
34. Tad Boyle, Colorado
35. Phil Martelli, Saint Joseph's
36. Steve Alford, UCLA
37. Rick Byrd, Belmont
38. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
39. Tubby Smith, Texas Tech
40. Bruce Weber, Kansas State
41. Ed Cooley, Providence
42. Josh Pastner, Memphis
43. Chris Mack, Xavier
44. Rick Barnes, Texas
45. Mike Brey, Notre Dame
46. John Thompson III, Georgetown
47. Bob Hoffman, Mercer
48. Stew Morrill, Utah State
49. Richard Pitino, Minnesota
50. Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's; Scott Drew, Baylor (tie)

EDIT: My bad. I apparently completely missed this already having been posted.

It's a completely arbitrary and worthless ranking.  In all honesty I don't know if Tim Miles has done anything to deserve being in this group yet.

But it does warm the cockles of my heart to see them rank him above Tad Boyle.  :D

Hm, those that missed and fell outside the top 50 :)

• Dana Altman, Oregon
  • Tim Cluess, Iona
  • Tom Crean, Indiana
  • Keith Dambrot, Akron
  • Johnny Dawkins, Stanford
  • Fran Dunphy, Temple
  • Leonard Hamilton, Florida State
  • Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa
  • Derek Kellogg, Massachusetts
  • Larry Krystowiak, Utah
  • Mike Lonergan, George Washington
  • Cuonzo Martin, California
  • Chris Mooney, Richmond
  • Craig Neal, New Mexico
  • Matt Painter, Purdue
  • Dave Paulsen, Bucknell
  • Bruce Pearl, Auburn
  • Steve Prohm, Murray State
  • Dave Rose, BYU
  • Herb Sendek, Arizona State
  • Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt
  • Andy Toole, Robert Morris
  • Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin
  • Brian Wardle, Wisconsin-Green Bay
  • Michael White, Louisiana Tech

According to BTN, the assumption is Groce is not in the top 25.  (Izzo, Beilein, Matta and Ryan are however)

Notable Big Ten coaches left off the list: Tom Crean, Indiana; Matt Painter, Purdue; John Groce, Illinois.

Coaches expected to be named on the 24-1 list: John Beilein, Michigan; Tom Izzo, Michigan State; Thad Matta, Ohio State and Bo Ryan, Wisconsin.

I'm having a good time reading what other fans have to say about this though...

I think the ranking is about right, but like others have pointed out, Miles shouldn't be ahead of him. Remember that Tad was the fuskers first choice. They "settled" for Miles after Tad turned them down. Miles is a good coach, but not in Tad's league.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/98803-Boyle-ranked-34-in-Top-50-College-Coaches

It's a completely arbitrary and worthless ranking.  In all honesty I don't know if Tim Miles has done anything to deserve being in this group yet.

But it does warm the cockles of my heart to see them rank him above Tad Boyle.   :D

Warm cockles are a good thing!

In a month you'll be sweating your cockles off....

I'm having a good time reading what other fans have to say about this though...

I think the ranking is about right, but like others have pointed out, Miles shouldn't be ahead of him. Remember that Tad was the fuskers first choice. They "settled" for Miles after Tad turned them down. Miles is a good coach, but not in Tad's league.

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/98803-Boyle-ranked-34-in-Top-50-College-Coaches

What a bunch of Buffoons they are! :D

I'm glad we have Tim Miles.  That being said, I believe Tad Boyle has done a good job at CU.

Tad Boyle is their Danny Nee.

...and I mean that in the best, and worst, possible way.

The similarities to what's happening there now vs. what we had in the 90's is astounding.

Wonder where Larry Brown rates? Hard to ascertain why Tim (much as I like him) rates above Tubby Smith who has already won a national championship. But oftentimes the only reason for ranking anything is to generate controversy, which this list certainly does.

How is Scott Drew #50?  He inherited a program in possibly the worst circumstances and turned them into a winner.

The back drop to the rankings is that they're evaluating which coaches are doing the best job RIGHT NOW.  Take a snapshot of this particular moment in time and ask who the coaches are who are doing the best job and this is the list they came up with.  Plenty of room for disagreement.

How is Scott Drew #50?  He inherited a program in possibly the worst circumstances and turned them into a winner.

The back drop to the rankings is that they're evaluating which coaches are doing the best job RIGHT NOW.  Take a snapshot of this particular moment in time and ask who the coaches are who are doing the best job and this is the list they came up with.  Plenty of room for disagreement.

He has taken a program that previouly just had four NCAA appearances to the eilite 8 twice, the sweet 16 once, has won the NIT, and has been runner up in the NIT as well.  He did this with a program that was on probation and had a previous player murder a fellow teammate.

He has taken a program that previouly just had four NCAA appearances to the eilite 8 twice, the sweet 16 once, has won the NIT, and has been runner up in the NIT as well.  He did this with a program that was on probation and had a previous player murder a fellow teammate.

Yes, Dale.  That's all very well known history from 10 or 12 years ago.  You seem like you're getting defensive about this.

But, hey, not my list nor my rationale so instead of me trying to explain it, why don't you just read what they wrote and argue it with them because it's not my dog in the fight.

Which coaches are doing the best job right now?

We've been thinking about that question this offseason, looking for the best way to quantify the answer. Luckily, we've got ESPN Forecast. Last week, we asked a panel of nearly 100 ESPN writers, editors, broadcasters and researchers to rate college basketball coaches on all aspects of running a program, on a scale of 1-10. (The crucial distinction here is that the prompt was not career-oriented. This isn't about legacy. It's all about the present.) We compiled their scores and ranked the names, and now comes the fun part: The big reveal.