Tai's summer

GATA

Yeah... not bad at all.  Don't get me wrong serbia isn't a heavy weight but those are still some grown men who play in european leagues -- not slouches.  He's 19 years old and putting up games like that including ice in his veins late.  It will be interesting to see how he does in the tournament.  And not necessarily against the US -- that's a kind of bonus game because if they want to those guys can shut him down.   Those other games will be against teams B1G quality at minimum.  a team like serbia is probably equal to a D-League team at worst (they're ranked #11 in the world i would hope so) if not one of the lower end NBA teams.

If can keep performing well and he carries that kind of confidence over into some of our games, good things will happen.

his ball handling still needs a LOT of work though... that nz team seemed to pass out of pressure more than dribble and almost losing the ball with 30 seconds left scared me a bit.  if you watch that last five minutes there aren't many times that he really dribbles much under a lot of pressure.  but you can see improvement in his confidence.  he isn't a kid out there scared anymore.

Yeah... not bad at all.  Don't get me wrong serbia isn't a heavy weight but those are still some grown men who play in european leagues -- not slouches.  He's 19 years old and putting up games like that including ice in his veins late.  It will be interesting to see how he does in the tournament.  And not necessarily against the US -- that's a kind of bonus game because if they want to those guys can shut him down.   Those other games will be against teams B1G quality at minimum.  a team like serbia is probably equal to a D-League team at worst (they're ranked #11 in the world i would hope so) if not one of the lower end NBA teams.

If can keep performing well and he carries that kind of confidence over into some of our games, good things will happen.

his ball handling still needs a LOT of work though... that nz team seemed to pass out of pressure more than dribble and almost losing the ball with 30 seconds left scared me a bit.  if you watch that last five minutes there aren't many times that he really dribbles much under a lot of pressure.  but you can see improvement in his confidence.  he isn't a kid out there scared anymore.

He's obviously a lot more comfortable with his shot.  No way in hell he takes either of those treys last year in conference. But his shot looked good.  Like his stroke.

On the defensive end, the way he bodied up on their point with about 2 min to play looked very reminiscent of Benny.  He's learned a thing or two.  

But no question this looks like a much more confident kid and I'm really liking that.  I suspect his game will have really improved from last year to this coming year.

Tai's game looks to be more suited to a 2 guard role...I think the addition of Tarin Smith will allow him to move over and be a more comfortable player for us this year. I agree with others that his shot is much improved and we know he can drive to the hoop as well. I'm excited for next season.

He's obviously a lot more comfortable with his shot.  No way in hell he takes either of those treys last year in conference. But his shot looked good.  Like his stroke.

On the defensive end, the way he bodied up on their point with about 2 min to play looked very reminiscent of Benny.  He's learned a thing or two.  

But no question this looks like a much more confident kid and I'm really liking that.  I suspect his game will have really improved from last year to this coming year.

I noticed that too, it was probably the biggest takeaway for me. I'm sure Coach Miles loved seeing that.

What game was it that Benny said "Coach told me to tell (the other player) 'I'll be here all day'"?

I wanna say Illinois?  Against Ray Rice?

Ray Rice?!?!?   I hope you mean Rayvonte Rice, 9er! ;)

Are there any other dudes named Ray Rice on the Illini roster?  ;)

What game was it that Benny said "Coach told me to tell (the other player) 'I'll be here all day'"?

I wanna say Illinois?  Against Ray Rice?

Ray Rice?!?!?   I hope you mean Rayvonte Rice, 9er! ;)

Are there any other dudes named Ray Rice on the Illini roster?   ;)

No, but the mere mention of "Ray Rice" conjures up imagery of another nature: assault & battery. No laughing matter...

Just razzing ya, 9er. I've piled on Normy long enough! ;)

Below is a very complimentary article of Tia's play where his coach says among other things:

"I put the kid in the team two years ago at just 17 because I feel I've got a good nose for players and he's a player," Vucinic said after the game. "He played on a high, high level tonight. Of course he's 19, he's going to go up and down a little bit, but he's a capable player, he's got the mentality for the game, and has also got the ability.

"It's just a matter of time when he's going to get to a high level. He's a good kid as well, really enjoyable to have in the team."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/10419713/Tall-Blacks-upset-Serbia-in-World-Cup-buildup

That's was the Tall Blacks' last exhibition game.

Here is their World Cup Group C matchup dates and times

30 August v Turkey - 9am CST
31 August v Dominican Republic -  5:30 am CST
2 September v USA - 10:30 am CST
3 September v Ukraine - 8am CST 
4 September v Finland - 8am CST

The top 4 teams from each group advances.
Ukraine has 17 year old Kansas recruit Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk...the kid that might have been a catalyst for Andrew White jumping to us.

That's was the Tall Blacks' last exhibition game.

Here is their World Cup Group C matchup dates and times

30 August v Turkey - 9am CST
31 August v Dominican Republic -  5:30 am CST
2 September v USA - 10:30 am CST
3 September v Ukraine - 8am CST 
4 September v Finland - 8am CST

The top 4 teams from each group advances.
Ukraine has 17 year old Kansas recruit Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk...the kid that might have been a catalyst for Andrew White jumping to us.

Are these games on TV? Would be a great day if i got to watch tai webster in the morning and husker football in the afternoon all in one saturday

Am I just being selfish?  I can't wait to see Tai get these games over with and get back to Lincoln.  I understand why a coaching staff lets them go overseas (recruiting-wise, it would backfire if you had a reputation for not letting players take advantage of the opportunity).  Other than that, I don't think there is much up-side for Nebraska.  Tai could get injured (like Leslee), or burned out from playing.  And will playing in the World cup make Tai a better college player?

I know, I'm being selfish.

Am I just being selfish?  I can't wait to see Tai get these games over with and get back to Lincoln.  I understand why a coaching staff lets them go overseas (recruiting-wise, it would backfire if you had a reputation for not letting players take advantage of the opportunity).  Other than that, I don't think there is much up-side for Nebraska.  Tai could get injured (like Leslee), or burned out from playing.  And will playing in the World cup make Tai a better college player?

I'd like to think its a promotion for NU as well as a huge thrill for the players.  Thats THEIR country they are playing for.  Its an honor to represent your fellow man.  In Tai's experience getting to play against the best players in the world when he plays the USA will be an incredible opportunity to test himself to the highest degree and should hopefully push him to get even better.  I know most athletes of this caliber, when they go head to head, want to be better than the other person and if they are not will take the necessary means to do so.  I'm sure Terran probably felt the same way at Adidas Nations playing against the NBA players that got the better of him.  Iron sharpens iron and these opportunities are huge pluses for all parties.

I'm with you on this, actually.  I believe the experience will be beneficial for him, but I think the time away from school and his teammates may hurt him.