Why is it assumed that Jacob Hammond will redshirt?

PimpMario

I was pretty excited when he committed but since then I have seen time and again people referencing his red shirt year, and that he will red shirt and the getting Moses allows Hammond to use his red shirt, etc.

So why is it assumed he will red shirt?

Did Hammond say he wants to?  Miles?

Because now Nebraska has Ayegba and Smith for the Center position. Both of them are much more physically capable of playing Center in the Big Ten and both of them have big-time Division 1 experience in the top-2 bball conferences in the country (Big Ten and the realBigEast).

I think Hammond will be a really good player, but physically, he is nowhere near developed enough to come in an play right away. Adding Ayegba means that Nebraska won't be forced to play him before he is physically ready. Remember, Hammond is basically playing at a school that is the equivalent of a C1 high school in Nebraska. And there are generally very few players even in Class A in Nebraska that could step in right away and play in the Big Ten Conference (especially at the Center position). Again, I believe Hammond will be legit, but he just needs a season to focus on physical development, before he is thrown to the wolves...

I read an newspaper article a while back where Miles had gone to watch one of Hammond's HS games and was quoted as saying that he would like to see (paraphrasing) Hammond RS because he was such a raw product and had really bad footwork that needed a lot of work. It would also give him a chance to add weight and get stronger to withstand the B1G style of play. While this certainly makes a lot of sense, what are the chances of Hammond redshirting?

It's often assumed that approximately one person will redshirt per year due to perceived readiness/depth/etc.

Last year it was Nate Hawkins.

Two years ago it wasn't any freshmen because Pitch and Petteway were redshirting due to transfer

Three years ago I think it was Josiah Moore.

Miles will state publicly who he wants and who he doesn't want to redshirt but typically defers to the decision of the player.

It's often assumed that approximately one person will redshirt per year due to perceived readiness/depth/etc.

Last year it was Nate Hawkins.

Two years ago it wasn't any freshmen because Pitch and Petteway were redshirting due to transfer

Three years ago I think it was Josiah Moore.

Miles will state publicly who he wants and who he doesn't want to redshirt but typically defers to the decision of the player.

Nick Fuller RS..not Hawkins.

I assume people think now with Ayegba/Smith that this allows Hammond a year to get stronger and get up to par with the speed of the game in practice.  They say big men sometimes have a harder time adjusting to the speed/strength of the game. I for one kind of hope he does RS especially if he isn't going to get a ton of minutes.  IF he can play right away and give us a solid 12-15 minutes a game then you play him.  But if he is going to get mop up duty or spot minutes why waste a year?  Think for example how much better Ubel would have been for us last year with a RS year under his belt? 

Nick Fuller RS..not Hawkins.

That's sort of my point thought I didn't finish it.  If you look back through who most people thought were going to redshirt, it doesn't necessarily match who actually redshirted. (Also, I forgot about Surge two years ago)

Actual redshirts

This year: ????

Last year: Fuller

Two years ago: Biggs

Three years ago: No one

The coaches have flat-out said at booster/fan functions over the past couple of months that the intent is to redshirt Hammond. They've made no secret about it. They feel he needs to get a lot stronger to play in the B1G.

Let's hope they get their way.  They wanted Surge to redshirt and he was much more of a project than Hammond.

Last year he was playing at what was an equivalent to C1/C2 basketball in Nebraska and his team didn't even make the state tournament.  I think it's safe to say it will be tough for him to come in right away and be B1G ready.  He has a lot of tools to work with, but he'll be a project and not the kind of kid that should be expected to come in right away and make an impact on a team with conference championship aspirations.

I keep looking at our history of bigs who have come into the program as freshmen and stayed with our program until their eligibility expired.  Who would have liked it if players like Mikki Moore or Brandon Ubel would have redshirted as true freshmen?  They went from boys to men.  To have these bigs as a mature 23 year old would/will be of great benefit to the program. 

Although I am in the camp that believes Jacob can play as a true freshman, we now have the ability to redshirt him given the entrance of Moses.  Then, by the time Jacob is a junior and senior, he will have put on 20 to 40lbs of muscle and will be the shover rather than the shovee.

Last year he was playing at what was an equivalent to C1/C2 basketball in Nebraska and his team didn't even make the state tournament.  I think it's safe to say it will be tough for him to come in right away and be B1G ready.  He has a lot of tools to work with, but he'll be a project and not the kind of kid that should be expected to come in right away and make an impact on a team with conference championship aspirations.

That's a little bit disconcerting.  You'd expect a team with a top 150 player on it would at least make it to state if not win the whole thing at that level of competition. 

That's a little bit disconcerting.  You'd expect a team with a top 150 player on it would at least make it to state if not win the whole thing at that level of competition. 

Seeing the pictures of the team he played on I can kind of understand why though.  He was the only one that looked like a basketball player.

No offense to Ubel, but comparing Hammond to Ubel has kind of made me less excited about Hammond.  When he signed I figured he was what we needed.

Having said that it is probably good to build to the future, although with the prospect of losing Petteway and possibly Shields and Pitchford early next year really seems like our year to shine.

No offense to Ubel, but comparing Hammond to Ubel has kind of made me less excited about Hammond.  When he signed I figured he was what we needed.

Having said that it is probably good to build to the future, although with the prospect of losing Petteway and possibly Shields and Pitchford early next year really seems like our year to shine.

you lost me at Shields leaving after this year.  Pitchford is a question mark but not a chance in hell Shields leaves.  Good player, not an early entrant for the NBA. 

you lost me at Shields leaving after this year.  Pitchford is a question mark but not a chance in hell Shields leaves.  Good player, not an early entrant for the NBA. 

Okay, I will give you that Shields is far fetched but I have heard the scuttlebutt that Pitchford things he is NBA material and if he has a good year he may be gone.

No offense to Ubel, but comparing Hammond to Ubel has kind of made me less excited about Hammond. When he signed I figured he was what we needed.

you lost me at Shields leaving after this year. Pitchford is a question mark but not a chance in hell Shields leaves. Good player, not an early entrant for the NBA.

Okay, I will give you that Shields is far fetched but I have heard the scuttlebutt that Pitchford things he is NBA material and if he has a good year he may be gone.

Well Pitch played well and might get better next year, but he couldn't make it at Florida so I think leaving early is a bit if a stretch. I know Petteway had a great year after not at Texas Tech. But that is kind of a once in a programs thing. I may be wrong but I don't think we catch lighting in a bottle with two guys.

Probably need to be more concerned about Pitch's father thinking Walt will be NBA-ready in a year than Walt himself. And, of course, Shields will be at NU for the duration. He'll likely enter med school at some point... TP is the only one who will likely leave after a B1G POTY season a la Stauskas.

Wait... does Pitchford and Taylor Martinez have the same father?

Probably need to be more concerned about Pitch's father thinking Walt will be NBA-ready in a year than Walt himself. And, of course, Shields will be at NU for the duration. He'll likely enter med school at some point... TP is the only one who will likely leave after a B1G POTY season a la Stauskas.

Wait... does Pitchford and Taylor Martinez have the same father?

The parenting may involve a helicopter in their style... so, yeah, they're strangely related.