Spring Banquet

HB

Mrs. HB and I took in the festivities tonight on the PBA floor, ate some good dead cow.  Good thing we had a cocktail in a go cup on the way down as none were to be had in PBA.

Big turnout.  Row 6, if you were there, I couldn't  find you.

Great group of people connected to this team. Great kids with parents who know how to raise kids.

Nice of Sadie to show up; she got a nice introduction from coach, and got a scholarship award.  Best to her at Wayne State. 

Coach told lots of stories about the players.  Didn't know Esther was multi-lingual, and a minister's daughter.  Gotta like Hailey driving a Ford 150 pickup and liking country music.  In a huge shock, T and Hailey appreciate different music.  When we were recruiting Cady, the other coaches told her not to go to Nebraska because she and Hooper played the same position, and she wouldn't get to play. All they ended up doing was both starting about 120 games together.

One of the best Nebraska Senior speeches I have seen by Jordan--very emotional.  Glad I didn't have to talk for a few minutes after that one.  Senior and season highlight videos were well done. 

Connie pointed out some interesting things about the season, including these tidbits: (1)  We were undefeated in February 2013, and undefeated in February 2014.  That is a tough month of the season and it shows how our players could handle the grind.    (2) We were 3-3 and struggling in the league when Griffin came home for her jersey retirement.  She gave a massively inspirational speech and we blew out a 5-2 Michigan team.  Coach thinks that turned the season around.  (3) We were the 3rd best free throw shooting team in the nation (3/350).  (4) We had the second fewest fouls in the nation (U Conn had the fewest).

It's great being a Husker fan.

My piece of dead cow was really good!

I'm willing to bet each and everyone there wanted to give JHoop a hug after that speech! And I think Sadie found out just how much she's going to be missed.

Here are the season awards:

Offensive MVP - Rachel Theriot and Jordan Hooper

Defensive MVP - Hailie Sample

Rebounding Award - Emily Cady and Hailie Sample

Teamate Award - Allie Havers

Husker Award - Emily Cady

Few more quotes:

" I'm not gonna lie but watching Hailie Sample completely shut down Maggie Lucas was one of my favorite highlights of the year!"

" We have established ourselves as a perennial top 25 team"

" These juniors have participated in 75 wins the past 3 years"

" Our fans are truly the best fans in women's basketball"

Yes, it is great being a Husker fan especially on nights like tonight!