Sergej Vucetic, Nathan Hawkins, and Tim Wagner Transfering

doc1394

I'm sure Miles would have liked to have Hawkins stick around but not a huge loss IMO.  He could have turned into a solid player but hes not someone we can't replace.  I think he could have developed into a good shooter but I was not that impressed with his athleticism.  I'm looking forward to seeing who coach can find to replace the two new schollies with. 

If one were to speculate, it would be somewhat likely that Miles & Co. have been working all angles, especially the undergrad & grad transfers, to add depth for both now & the future. It will be very interesting to learn what 'odd pieces' (as Miles noted) that might be heading to Lincoln in short order... hoping for a big that's a brute, a guard who can fill it up from deep w/ lock-down D status as well as a shooter/scorer/slasher who can eventually replace Terran.

according to OWH Miles was surprised and disappointed with Hawkins departure.   If that is the case I doubt if they were looking for someone to fill that position in they're spring recruiting until now, so we may have all of a sudden be looking at an offguard as well as a big.

They may not have been particularly looking at someone but with two expected spots they had to have several players in mind.  This now gives them a third option as well if it came down to several players wanting to be N.

If one were to speculate, it would be somewhat likely that Miles & Co. have been working all angles, especially the undergrad & grad transfers, to add depth for both now & the future. It will be very interesting to learn what 'odd pieces' (as Miles noted) that might be heading to Lincoln in short order... hoping for a big that's a brute, a guard who can fill it up from deep w/ lock-down D status as well as a shooter/scorer/slasher who can eventually replace Terran.

He does...He is...Odd indeed...7' 1"...A/T = 5/1, while scoring 17/game!

They play zone, shoot 3s, have an open scholarship, and are located in Texas.  Seems like a good match.

Interesting choice. Dropping down a bit in competition. Wish him well if this is his choice, though. May he rain threes on anyone in the Big 12.

UTA Mavericks? Presumably, that refers to University of Texas-Arlington of the Sun Belt Conference. If so, that's the school who finished 6th place in the ten-team Sun Belt for the 2013-14 basketball season (that's two spots below Arkansas State) and whose final 2014 RPI is 204.

Hmmmmm . . .

Not to sound like sour grapes, but I've always been a bit of a doubter as to whether Nathan had the game for this level.

Checks out

http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/470-hawkins/

http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/735-fuller-hawkins/

http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/1433-nathan-hawkins/

I thought and still believe Hawkins could have been a good player for us.  He would have lacked quickness, sure.  But he appeared to be physical and oftentimes, physlical play will make up for lack of quickness...especially with the right officials working the game.

• 1 year later...