2014-15 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

A very early thread that indicates the potential opponents that NU will be playing in 2014-15.

Besides NU, the other 7 teams are committed to participate in the 2014 Hawaiian Airlines "Diamond Head Classic" (3 games in 4 days) at the University of Hawai'i home court Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu, Hawai'i. http://www.omaha.com/article/20131222/HUSKERS/131229639/1002#nebraska-among-field-for-diamond-head-classic

The 6th annual "Diamond Head Classic" event includes:

> Colorado
> George Washington
> Ohio
> Wichita State
> Hawai'i
> DePaul
> Loyola Marymount

*** Road game vs Hawai'i (Dec. 22 - 12 midnight CT)
*** Second round game vs either LMU or Wichita State (Dec. 23)

Exhibition game vs SW Minnesota St (Nov. 6)

Home opener vs Northern Kentucky (Nov. 16)

Home game vs Central Arkansas (Nov. 18)

Road game vs Rhode Island (Nov. 22)

Home game vs UNO (Nov. 25)

***Home game vs Tennessee-Martin (Nov. 28)

Road game vs Florida State (6 p.m. ESPN2 - Dec. 1) in B1G / ACC Challenge

Home game vs Creighton (Dec. 7)

Home game vs Incarnate Word (Dec. 10)

Home game vs Cincinnati (Dec. 13)

*** Road game (instead of a 16th home game, according to Miles, OWH 6-18-14) -- NOW, LOOKS TO BE ANOTHER HOME GAME! (huskers.com 8-11-14) -- game vs Tennessee-Martin (Nov. 28)

Nebraska’s 2014-15 Home Big Ten Schedule

Illinois (Jan. 11)
Indiana (Dec. 31)
Iowa (Feb. 22)
Maryland (Mar. 8)
Michigan State (Jan. 24)
Minnesota (Jan. 20)
Northwestern (Feb. 3)
Rutgers (Jan. 8)
Wisconsin (televised on "Super Tuesday" ESPN - Feb. 10)

Nebraska’s 2014-15 Road Big Ten Schedule

at Illinois (Mar. 4)
at Iowa (Jan. 5)
at Maryland (Feb. 19)
at Michigan
 (televised on "Super Tuesday" ESPN - Jan. 27)
at Minnesota (Jan. 31)
at Ohio State (Feb. 26)
at Penn State (Feb. 7)
at Purdue (Feb. 15)
at Wisconsin (Jan. 15)

Big Ten Conference Tournament Championship - March 11-15 (Chicago)

NCAA Basketball Tournament - March 17 - April 6

Yeah - I think we're pretty much locked in to playing on the road, but the opponent will be based more on where we're projected to finish. Playing Wake those first 2 seasons was just a coincidence I believe.

And we might not even be locked into a road game next season since both conferences will be undergoing membership changes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The way I understand the scheduling limitation rule, if we want to play a 31st game, we'd have to play someone in the Diamond Head field either home or away, so that's a possibility. Otherwise with the 8-team, 3-game tournament field we'd be limited to 30 overall regular season games again I believe.

ESPN offered us a game at New Mexico this past season if we wanted a 31st game, correct, since UNM was in the Charleston Tourney? Perhaps ESPN would put Colorado & NU together for old-times' sake in 2014-15.  ;)  Honestly, going to Chicago to play DePaul for the 31st game wouldn't be a bad move either. Seems like we have a recruiting target in that area. 

I'd like to see NU and UNO start playing regularly at PBA. Makes more sense than bringing in The Citadel or someone like that. Perhaps every 4th year we could even play that game at Century Link.

As we learned this year, trying to find top 100 RPI teams that are close to "gimme" wins is ideal...

Eastern Kentucky, Canisius, Towson, Eastern Michigan, Boston, Georgia State...all those would have counted as Top 100 wins this year.

Citadel, ranked 345/349, on the other hand is a game we really don't need to play.

I know it's hard to project who will be good and who will be bad. But we played 2 of the worst 20 teams in DI this year. You'd have to think we don't need to play those games next year.

Yeah I could see that - have to think some combination of:

Mich, Mich St, Wisc, and Ohio St  -- vs -- Louisville, Syracuse, N Carolina, Duke

Maryland will probably go on the road against whomever their biggest ACC rival was - Virginia? - as a "revenge" game

Then NU, Minnesota, Indiana & Illinois probably gets someone out of the Pitt, Clemson, Fla St, NC State group 

I like the UNO idea, although I'd imagine the Mavs would want that infrequent home game at their brand-new 8000 seat arena opening in a couple of years... and, I'd take a matchup with the Shockers in K.C. too. That could be a fun one for both fan bases at the Sprint Center!

Playing WSU at the Sprint Center would be FANTASTIC.  I miss the Big XII tournaments there, and KC is a great place for weekend road trips.  Husker game vs a quality opponent on a neutral floor, plus Power & Light District, the Plaza, Jack Stack BBQ...sounds awesome.  Make this happen, Shawn Eichorst!!!

Yeah I could see that - have to think some combination of:

Mich, Mich St, Wisc, and Ohio St  -- vs -- Louisville, Syracuse, N Carolina, Duke

Maryland will probably go on the road against whomever their biggest ACC rival was - Virginia? - as a "revenge" game

Then NU, Minnesota, Indiana & Illinois probably gets someone out of the Pitt, Clemson, Fla St, NC State group 

It's not at all a given that the big four from each other will play each other. A couple of them probably will but with Virginia and Nebraska making big jumps in their respective conferences this season, you could see them get paired with one of the big boys from the other. That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Send Virginia to Michigan St. and Nebraska to, IDK, Louisville, perhaps. UVA's second leading scorer is a senior, but the rest in the top 5 are all sophomores and a freshman. Not sure if any of them are looking at going pro, but they'll probably be a top 10 team to start the year. They'll get one of the B1G's big guns, I think. I'm hoping they do the same for NU and let them showcase against a bigger name.

It's not at all a given that the big four from each other will play each other. A couple of them probably will but with Virginia and Nebraska making big jumps in their respective conferences this season, you could see them get paired with one of the big boys from the other. That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Send Virginia to Michigan St. and Nebraska to, IDK, Louisville, perhaps. UVA's second leading scorer is a senior, but the rest in the top 5 are all sophomores and a freshman. Not sure if any of them are looking at going pro, but they'll probably be a top 10 team to start the year. They'll get one of the B1G's big guns, I think. I'm hoping they do the same for NU and let them showcase against a bigger name.

I hope you're right - that'd be a great matchup for us. Better yet, let's send Louisville to PBA. Didn't Vitale or Tirico recently say something about wanting to make a trip to Lincoln next season?  ;) I wouldn't mind back to back home games in the challenge - we've earned it.