OK, guys (and gals) I think I've got it.

You want something during the opposing team introductions?  With a kid from New Zealand on our team?  This has got to be the perfect launching pad.

Student section, I challenge you to tackle THIS ONE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOpYl49lvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0jRw44kZ6c

This would be so awesome.  Students, can you pull it off?

It's too bad the NCAA deemed the Hawai'i football team's haka unsportsmanlike.  Theirs was awesome. 

A student section haka just doesn't seem like it would work...it has to be the team...and I don't think that's going to work.

That said, you're right, Norm, the haka is awesome!

The bad thing about these types of chants and the like is they are mostly easily mocked. 

The stupid K-State "Wildcat first down" thing is highly mockable.  I've been in that stadium when Nebraska was winning and every time we'd get a first down we would mock the 'cats. 

We come up with something along those lines and we'll get mocked in our own house for more than just being bad at basketball  I don't like that.

I don't think you want something that comes or goes with a player on the roster, you want something that will carry over and be applicable regardless of who is on the team or who the coach is.  I'd avoid the haka chant.

Also, I think KState stole the first down thing from the Chiefs.  Kinda like the Braves stole the tomahawk chop from FSU...

I don't think you want something that comes or goes with a player on the roster, you want something that will carry over and be applicable regardless of who is on the team or who the coach is.  I'd avoid the haka chant.

Also, I think KState stole the first down thing from the Chiefs.  Kinda like the Braves stole the tomahawk chop from FSU...

I think the Haka -- or some variation of it -- is pretty cool whether we have a New Zealand kid or not.  But, if we need to keep New Zealand kids on the roster in order to do a Haka, there's always Jack Salt.

Prior to asking our students to perform the ritual HAKA "chant" I wondered whether it would be offensive if some midwestern fans partook in the "event."  I guess it may be okay given my limited research.  Honestly as well, I wonder if was okay if my daughter (being a red zoner) became involved.  Granted this is only wikipedia...but hey, research is research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka