"Slowest game in the world." Izzo, Dawkins call for a shorter shot clock. What do YOU think???

49r

Shot Clock  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with the shot clock

• Nothing. The 35 second clock is fine as it is.
    • Change it to 30 seconds like the women's game.
    • Adopt FIBA rules for the shot clock - 24 seconds
    • Adopt NBA rules fot the shot clock - 24 seconds

There's no way the shot clock is the cause of the problem.  We used to score more points when there was a 45-second clock.  If cutting the shot clock leads to higher scoring, shouldn't scoring be up already? 

Focus on officiating and the problem will be solved.

I'm just going to throw this back in the pot.

+1000 on the digging up of an old relevant thread

I actually had a choice of threads, and this wasn't necessarily the most relevant one.

But it was the oldest and longest and I started it, so that kinda made my decision for me.  :D

I'd like to see it go to 24 seconds with NCAA rules.  I'd also like the idea of calling more fouls.

yeah most definitely call more fouls.  We all want to go to a game that last 4 hours due to shooting of 150+ freethrows.

Calling more fouls early in a season, if the refs stick with it and are consistent with it, will eventually loosen the game up considerably after a rough adjustment period. Teams, coaches and players will adjust or they'll lose games.

I'd like to see it go to 24 seconds with NCAA rules.  I'd also like the idea of calling more fouls.

yeah most definitely call more fouls.  We all want to go to a game that last 4 hours due to shooting of 150+ freethrows.

Calling more fouls early in a season, if the refs stick with it and are consistent with it, will eventually loosen the game up considerably after a rough adjustment period. Teams, coaches and players will adjust or they'll lose games.

ok...but that's a big if....we had a number of games last year that had way too many fouls called...and those turned out to be some of the most boring games ever becuase they kept disrupting the flow of the game. How do you address that problem.  It also seems (and I could very well be reading you wrong) that you think that it all lays on the Teams, Coachs and Players. You don't think they need to do something about the officials?  Like more consistancey, and weed out the officials that feel that they are the stars of the show? Yes, some of it is on the Teams....but they need to do something about the officials as well.

ok...but that's a big if....we had a number of games last year that had way too many fouls called...and those turned out to be some of the most boring games ever becuase they kept disrupting the flow of the game. How do you address that problem.  It also seems (and I could very well be reading you wrong) that you think that it all lays on the Teams, Coachs and Players. You don't think they need to do something about the officials?  Like more consistancey, and weed out the officials that feel that they are the stars of the show? Yes, some of it is on the Teams....but they need to do something about the officials as well.

The problem we had in the games last year where the officials decided to become the show is that they decided to become the show in the 2nd half.  In other words, they weren't consistent.  I think players can adjust to the way the game is being called as long as the refs are consistent in what they call.  But don't suddenly find your whistle in the 2nd half.  Or just on one end of the floor.

They were boring games but they should have stuck with it. The players and coaches would have adjusted. It would have been a bad growing pain stage but I think it would have been better in the long run.

Let Jay Bilas fix it. I've heard him talk a couple times about how to make the college games more exciting. Like adopting more FIBA rules, widening the lanes, moving the 3 point line back, creating more space stuff like that. I don't really think reducing the shot clock will have that much impact. Just more terrible shots.

I will bounce in here one more time...rules do not necessarily have to be fixed, rules simply need to be enforced on a consistant basis.  Sounds simple because it is simple.  Watch a game during the Hoppen era.  Or simply watch any game from ten +/- years ago.  Did a few rules changes since then...sure, but the game in general changed when "officials" decided to provide interpretations that are contrary to those rules. 

If I am dribbling the ball, and a defender places his hand, arm or body on me, that was once automatically a foul?  Now, it may or may not be a foul depending on the interpretation of one of three officials.  That makes zero sense. 

I will bounce in here one more time...rules do not necessarily have to be fixed, rules simply need to be enforced on a consistant basis.  Sounds simple because it is simple.  Watch a game during the Hoppen era.  Or simply watch any game from ten +/- years ago.  Did a few rules changes since then...sure, but the game in general changed when "officials" decided to provide interpretations that are contrary to those rules. 

If I am dribbling the ball, and a defender places his hand, arm or body on me, that was once automatically a foul?  Now, it may or may not be a foul depending on the interpretation of one of three officials.  That makes zero sense. 

Or depening on whether you're Aaron Craft or not.

The biggest thing that would need to change is there would need to be more consistency in how refs are held accountable and how games are called from conference to conference. The refs can't start by emphasizing one thing and then back off it. They have to be as consistent as possible and a lot of that comes from how they are evaluated and held accountable. If that gets fixed, the officiating will be better and more consistent. If that happens (and I'm not really expecting it to) then it will absolutely be on the players and coaches. That said, when NU is getting consistently called for more fouls than other teams, that's not a referee bias. That's an undisciplined defensive team. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cut down the interminable time outs, but of course that would interfere with all of those interesting commercials.

Plus 1000 points to you. The end of close games are really annoying:

Foul, free throw, free throw, timeout.

Desperation shot misses, foul, free throw, free throw.

Timeout. Desperation three goes in.

Timeout, nearly five second violation, timeout.

Foul, free throw, free throw...

And so forth. 

Cut down the interminable time outs, but of course that would interfere with all of those interesting commercials.

Plus 1000 points to you. The end of close games are really annoying:

Foul, free throw, free throw, timeout.

Desperation shot misses, foul, free throw, free throw.

Timeout. Desperation three goes in.

Timeout, nearly five second violation, timeout.

Foul, free throw, free throw...

And so forth. 

There was a study of the final 2 minutes of a ballgame took on average anywhere from a low end of 2-3 minutes to upwards of 25-30 minutes. So, when you tell your spouse there's only 2 minutes left, it's really just a ploy to watch another half-hour of hoops (in)action. ;)