Adam Moon

I'll throw this kid's name onto the board. Just heard about him in the paper this morning and on the radio.

Adam Moon, O’Neill St. Mary’s (Class D1), 6-8, Jr., 23.4 ppg., 11.7 reb.

Plays at 2:00 Thursday at North Star.

Possibly at 7:00 Friday at Pershing if they win (which they are favored to).

Anyone seen him play? Coordinated much or just a product of being really tall against weak competition? Looks skinny in this pic (and is he bringing the ball up the court??). Very strong outshide shooter apparently but needs work on his low post game according to this article. No DI offers yet but visited Nebraska, and has interest from UNO and North Dakota. Says he "hopes to get recruited by Nebraska."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130306/PREPZONE/703069831/1216#class-d-1-moon-shines-in-many-ways-for-st-mary-s

537749_3948228868194_1194719461_n.jpg

A walk-on?  Needs to get on a good travelling AAU team this summer.  Yeah, he's skinny but he appears to have good muscle structure and the ability to add some bulk, a la Brandon Ubel.  Good outside shot?  That means he has touch.  Work on some post moves and that touch will help.  Now, if he grew another few inches ...

He would probably be a plan Z for Nebraska

Probably, but 6-8 three-point shooters (he played shooting guard last year which means he can also ball handle) don't come around these parts very often. They don't come around anywhere very often. If he has a big summer on an AAU team...you never know.

Probably, but 6-8 three-point shooters (he played shooting guard last year which means he can also ball handle) don't come around these parts very often. They don't come around anywhere very often. If he has a big summer on an AAU team...you never know.

Playing shooting guard for a class D1 school doesn't mean you can ball handle.

you must not watch much basketball then because these guys are a dime a dozen in D-1 and the NBA, even D-2 and jucos have plenty of these guys that height that can shoot.  This kid will probably end up at a D-2 or NAIA.  If he somehow blows up a school like UNO would be the highest level he would end up at.  

Ya never know.  Y'all remember the name Bill Jackman?  I'd like to see some film on the kid.  When does he play?  If they make it to the finals, I'll certainly watch.  Class D gets the early and the late game on Saturday depending on whether you're D1 or D2.

I remember Chad Ideus, too.  You know I'm not bagging on Class D kids since I'm the product of a Class D school.  They're just aren't many, if any B1G prospects in towns of 500 people or less in Nebraska.

Anybody know if he prefers Nike over Adidas?

Or who he has posters of in his basement?

I think it's presumptuous to assume he can't play at Nebraska.  Players come from remote places, too.  Has anyone actually seen him play?  If not, let's not assume he can't play at that level.  Another year of development and a redshirt year and see what happens.  I agree with Norm.  He's got a frame that has a lot of room for development.  I wonder if he's at the level Drake Beranek was coming out of High School?  There's not really that much difference between C2 and D1, especially in basketball.  If he's as good as Drake (I know they play different positons...) he'd be worth the shot.

I remember watching him play last year in the State championship game.  I thought he played well and had a good skill set, but wasn't blown out of the water.  Hopefully they make it to the state finals again so I can see him play again. 

I think he's more than likely a walk on candidate, but I guess he played well this past summer. 

But I also heard he really wants to go to Nebraska, so a walk on wouldn't be out of the question.  And a 6'8 shooter as a walk on is a good thing IMO.

Kid from a class D1 school is doing good things for Colorado State after transferring from Iowa State.

Yeah, Chad Ideus.  Better example is Bronson Schliep.  Don't know if Sandy Creek is Class D or C but he was a walk-on who fit the dimensions of this Moon kid.  Bronson was a pretty good athlete and, as I recall, had one of the best vertical leaps on the team at the time.  But anyone who remembers watching him play knows he was a walk-on and wasn't at the scholarship level, right?  Great guy, worked hard.  But that talent just wasn't quite at the right level to really contribute much here.

So, this Moon kid.  Gotta like his size.  If he can play inside or out, that's a bonus.  Worth keeping an eye on.  Could a kid like that potentially be worthy of a scholarship?  Sure.  It would be rare, but you never know.

Kid from a class D1 school is doing good things for Colorado State after transferring from Iowa State.

Yeah, Chad Ideus.  Better example is Bronson Schliep.  Don't know if Sandy Creek is Class D or C but he was a walk-on who fit the dimensions of this Moon kid.  Bronson was a pretty good athlete and, as I recall, had one of the best vertical leaps on the team at the time.  But anyone who remembers watching him play knows he was a walk-on and wasn't at the scholarship level, right?  Great guy, worked hard.  But that talent just wasn't quite at the right level to really contribute much here.

So, this Moon kid.  Gotta like his size.  If he can play inside or out, that's a bonus.  Worth keeping an eye on.  Could a kid like that potentially be worthy of a scholarship?  Sure.  It would be rare, but you never know.

If I remember Bronsen correctly, he wasn't much of a shooter though. Hustle player who got the few points he did off rebounds and dunks, if I recall correctly. Never seen Moon play so I don't know how similar they are. I suspect Bronsen was a much better athlete than this kid, but that this kid is a much better shooter. Hopefully he's interested in walking on.

Bronson was more of an inside player with good athletic ability.  Moon to me seems to be a perimeter player.  But I have only seen him play once last year and they had another 6'7 guy that mainly played inside.  Maybe he is doing more of that this year. 

I wonder if a good comparison is Conner Beranek?  Moon is taller and I believe more built.  But they were both scorers from the outside.

If I remember Bronsen correctly, he wasn't much of a shooter though. Hustle player who got the few points he did off rebounds and dunks, if I recall correctly. Never seen Moon play so I don't know how similar they are. I suspect Bronsen was a much better athlete than this kid, but that this kid is a much better shooter. Hopefully he's interested in walking on.

I think you're absolutely right, there.  Bronson wasn't much of a shooter.  I think sometimes these kids need to realize where their skill level projects to the college or higher level game.  For instance, David Rivers.  He was never going to be a college post.  He's able to his some outside shots, really needs improvement at slashing, but he actually does pretty well underneath, fighting for rebounds and getting putbacks, which is almost astonishing for a guy as skinny as he is.

Rivers should have been working on the tools that he would need to have at the next level so, instead of playing center in high school, it would have been nice to have him out on the wing.

The player's name escapes me at the moment, but there was a guy from Westside many, many years ago who was the tallest player on his team.  But they knew that he had skills and they knew that he projected to playing guard at the next level and beyond.  I believe he played his college ball Kearney State (before it became UNK) and then, if I'm not mistaken, for the Omaha Racers in the CBA.  And eventually made the Pheonix Suns roster and played in the NBA.

Dang if I can remember his name, though.  On the tip of my tongue, but just can't think of it.  Anyway, his high school coach played him where he projected.

This Moon kid was played at shooting guard and I think that's probably a good thing for him.  If he has reasonable quicks, he probably projects as a 3 in college.  So playing him inside and out is a good way of utliizing his tools. 

Watch the kid.  You never know. 

I suspect Bronson played center in high school just because he would have been the tallest guy on his team, probably by far.  But he was athletic enough that, at his size, he could have played D1 ball if he'd developed the skills.  Agree he was never much of a shooter, but the question is could he have been?  I don't know.  But I will argue the point with anyone that he was athletic enough to play at this level given his size.  He just didn't have the skills to play the 3 in college.

I always chuckle when people assume D-1, C-2, whatever type kids can't play just because they are in a "smaller class"  Yep, so was Eikmeier, Elliason, Gessell, G. Smith, D. Smith, Carr, etc.....Everybody always ASSUMES they have to be Class A type players.  Who was the last really good Class A player to go D-1?  Akoy right now is the one. 

Sometimes these small town kids have unbelievable work ethics, they live for sports as they may not even have a movie theatre or restaurant in there town.  Who's to say they don't develop well? 

Not trying to argue, just pointing it out.

I always chuckle when people assume D-1, C-2, whatever type kids can't play just because they are in a "smaller class"  Yep, so was Eikmeier, Elliason, Gessell, G. Smith, D. Smith, Carr, etc.....Everybody always ASSUMES they have to be Class A type players.  Who was the last really good Class A player to go D-1?  Akoy right now is the one. 

Sometimes these small town kids have unbelievable work ethics, they live for sports as they may not even have a movie theatre or restaurant in there town.  Who's to say they don't develop well? 

3 of those players were Class B so they arent as low as you make them out to be and secondly all of those players played on well established AAU programs and showed their skills on a national stage to gain recognition and prove their worth.

3 of those players were Class B so they arent as low as you make them out to be and secondly all of those players played on well established AAU programs and showed their skills on a national stage to gain recognition and prove their worth.

I'm aware of where they all went to school.  I'm from Ralston myself so I'm by no means bagging on the Smith brothers or any Class A or B teams.  My point was that good players do come from smaller classes as well.  In football this is true as well.  They don't have the numbers or depth of the bigger schools, but doesn't mean they don't have good athletes.

I came from a class C school...I say that up front...the kid may be a great athlete, but the issue is the level of talent that they face day-in-and-day-out.  Can they play and sustain their abilities against high level talent.  That is why, in basketball, that you evaluate the talent in AAU ball.  Heck, I could ball pretty well at the C level, but put me up against the talent in Class A, I would have struggled.

I'm aware of where they all went to school.  I'm from Ralston myself so I'm by no means bagging on the Smith brothers or any Class A or B teams.  My point was that good players do come from smaller classes as well.  In football this is true as well.  They don't have the numbers or depth of the bigger schools, but doesn't mean they don't have good athletes.

These small town guys are not going to get a look from us and frankly I dont blame our staff. If we want to be an NCAA tournament team we need big fish from big ponds getting looks from big programs, example being Nick Fuller in this years class 25 ppg in the biggest class in Wisconsin. The Nebraska kids that get looks are gonna be 1 or 2 kids from the metro and the occasional Ellision type. If they want to play they can walk on and try to work their butt off to see the floor.