Nathan Hawkins

Huskerpapa

I am not sure what kind of newspaper the "Garland Texan" is, but they had this little diddy in their "sports" section on February 11th:

Lakeview Centennial High School’s Patriots were defeated by Rowlett High School’s Eagles Tuesday, Feb. 5.  The final score was 71-61.  Nathan Hawkins was the player of the game with 25 points, 10 rebounds, two assists, and three steals.

Also:

GISD hosts signing day ceremony

Posted February 10, 2013

The Garland Independent School District recognized more than 60 student athletes who have signed with colleges Wednesday, Feb. 6 at a ceremony at the Curtis Culwell Center.  Interim Superintendent Dr. Gary Reeves welcomed the athletes and guests and the following athletes were recognized:

Rowlett HS

Boys Basketball

Jeffrey Carroll - Oklahoma State University

Nathan Hawkins - University of Nebraska

Austin Luke - Belmont University (Tennessee)

He gets a lot of his points down low.  I watched the whole film last night.  My thoughts, FWIW:

1.  I like his stroke.   Someone said he has a slow windup and release.  I didn't think it was too bad.  But, it's good form, good technique.  He has nice tempo and a good, high release.

2.  He has pretty decent ball skills, actually.  And some of the passes he made reflect a kid with good court awareness.  I could see him doing the Dylan Talley thing and playing some point, maybe. 

3.  Nothing about him, though, jumps out at you and says, "wow, what a great athlete."  I think he's just smart.  I've heard Shavon Shields compared to Ryan Anderson and I think it's probably a more accurate comparison with this kid.  Very smart.  Skilled.  Not overwhelming athleticism.  Good shooter but can score in a variety of ways.  And he's going to do a lot of the little things.

4.  He has good hands.  If a ball came in his zip code, he was going to catch it, whether on a rebound, loose ball or errant pass from the other team.  He came up with a lot of loose balls and rebounds like that.

I think we are bringing in Hawkins to shoot 3s. His shooting form is very smooth. Nothing else about his game stands out too much. His ball handling skills are good, but probably not good enough to be an effective point guard. He is also an average athlete, so he will fit in best as a shooting guard. A slightly more polished version of Dylan Talley is probably the best case scenario for Hawkins.

I think Hawkins does a whole lot more than shoot 3s.  If it's just 3s, then we should have recruited his teammate, Austin Luke, who shoots almost 60% from three, IIRC.  I described him to be like Ryan Anderson.  He's a very intuitive player.  He understands the game.  Because he understands the game so well, he's able to leverage his skills against someone else's athleticism.  He was scoring inside against that 6'10" Rivals 4-star in the game film that was posted.  He's a good passer.  He rebounds very well for a guy his size.  He's a more than adequate dribbler.  He's probably better at slashing than either Rivers or Shields for that matter.  And he's a decent -- decent by not great, yet -- outside shooter.  If he were up around 45% in 3-pt shooting, I might understand your point that we're bringing him in for that purpose.  But he's not SOOOOO good at outside shooting that that alone would justify his scholarship.

I posted this in a thread over on the regular board, but think it's probably more appropriate over here:

He's got an offensive game that is advanced way beyond his age. He reminds me A LOT of Evan Turner (I'm referring to Evan Turner's skill set when he left for the NBA). Before you guys jump all over me, obviously at 17 or 18 years old, he's NOWHERE near as productive or experienced or as physically mature as Turner was, but his game and skill set are very much on par.

That said, he's a much more creative ball handler than Turner was. He's able to get to the paint whenever he wants and he's incredibly smart with the ball when he does. He makes the game appear easier for everyone he plays with when he's in a playmaker role. Unfortunately, this HS season, he's played almost exclusively in the post as a 4. I've spoken to a person very close to him recently, and he says he's felt like a fish out of water all season, but he's trying to do whatever he can to help his team compete for a state championship.

His biggest asset this summer was his ability to create in the half court, both for himself and for his teammates. I watched him personally this summer play against the Harrison twins in Dallas. He totally outplayed one of them and, depending on who you talked to, was every bit the other's equal if not more. The game was a barn-burner, and was back and forth. It was a man's game! There was standing room only and it was as electric and contested as any summer AAU game I've seen in a long time.

His dad is a coach and you can tell the kid knows the game and plays it the right way. In my opinion, in the times I've seen him, he's been too unselfish probably. He'll learn from a guy like Miles when he should make the plays himself and when he should get others involved.

I see him as a long, athletic, half court offensive creator that can get us something quality when the clock's running down or when the team needs a bucket at a critical juncture. Anything you see from HS video or from stats is not representative of his game and how it will translate at Nebraska and in the B1G. He's MUCH more skilled and creative than any of our current roster.

By the way, here's the video from CWG's blog reference: