Akoy Agau -> Louisville -> Georgetown

ajb5856

Heard a story regarding Agau. The info comes from a source with direct ties to the program and Coach Miles. I don't have any direct inside info, this was just a story told to me by someone who knows a person with ties. As they say, this is how rumors get started...but it's been slow, so what the heck. Without releasing every detail, bottom line is that Miles still believes that Akoy can be had and that he will eventually come around for Nebraska. Miles doesn't feel that Louisville and Pitino are a good fit for Akoy and that we still have a shot at him. Now, I don't know if this is anything earth shattering or if we should expect Miles to feel any other way. But it is the only info to be gained from the story that I was told other than the fact that Miles is still active in the pursuit and I think everybody is well aware of that fact.

To use a few thread analogies from the old board...If you meet a pretty girl at a party and ask her to come home with you for the evening and she politely declines...yet a week later she shows up to a party you are hosting at your house...you may want to ask again because..."It ain't over 'til we say it's over!"

On a more relavent note to Akoy, I hope he reads the article dimes referenced in his Harriman thread where the ESPN panel are making fantasy teams and while setting groundrule stipulations they note: "-- One player will be chosen to redshirt, since few programs use all of their 13 scholarships (unless your name is Rick Pitino -- and then you oversign each year)."

Akoy, would not deal with that one year tryout issue if he becomes a Husker... and his family would be at the games!

GATA!

It stands to reason, as it would be the very definition of GATA.

However, it would be - admittedly - an uphill climb for Coach MIles, battling against Pitino at this stage of the game in Miles' tenure here. Still, rumor or not, I'm glad to hear the stories of "no such word as quit" in coach's vocabulary. Whether it pays off or not in recruiting Agau is IMO secondary, it *is* going to have to be the way coach gets 'er done here at DONU. With this recruit, the next recruit, and every recruit after that.

Nice to see you made it over, ajb.

I dont know if I would buy into this. Not saying we do not still have a chance but there is not way Miles would go out publicly saying to this "source" that we will get Akoy for sure. Miles is and should still recruit Akoy if there is any interest, but to say that there is not way he ends up at Louisville is a lie.

Okay, first off it was not stated that Miles said "there's no way he ends up at Louisville". Second, Miles didn't tell anybody that "we will get Akoy for sure". And third, Miles didn't publicly tell anybody anything. It was a private meeting during which the cell phone of Miles received a voicemail from Akoy. Miles listened to the voicemail and reacted to it in front of said "source".

Bottom line: Akoy is still calling and Miles feels we still have a shot. Take it for what it's worth.

Y'know, what we've seen from Akoy it just suggests this is a kid who, in his heart, deep down, really wants to come to Nebraska and is hoping to find that reason or justification that makes it make more sense than taking an opportunity to put on a Louisville uni and play for a former NBA coach. In a word, he's conflicted. It's apparent that he has strongly considered Nebraska, has a relationship with Miles, and hasn't totally given up the idea of playing here. It might not happen in the end, but it wouldn't be a shock if he changed his commit. Nor would it be a shock if he didn't. You might say, as far as Louisville, he's a soft commit.

post-71-0-16299600-1350182888_thumb.png

In the for-what-it's-worth department, here is a picture taken on my Blackberry along the sidelines around 20 minutes prior to the start of the Wisconsin football game--if anyone can figure out how to increase the size of this picture on this post, please do so.

Anyway, of the two people in white t-shirts, the one on the left is Akoy and the one on the right is, I believe, Tre'Shawn. Immediately to Akoy's left is Coach Miles, who is chatting up a storm with Akoy--just as he was doing nearly the entire time I could see him at this event. In the picture, Akoy is shaking hands with someone unknown to me--and Coach Miles seemed to make sure that Akoy shook hands with a number of people along the sidelines, including Hawkins and Fuller.

Heard a story regarding Agau. The info comes from a source with direct ties to the program and Coach Miles. I don't have any direct inside info, this was just a story told to me by someone who knows a person with ties. As they say, this is how rumors get started...but it's been slow, so what the heck. Without releasing every detail, bottom line is that Miles still believes that Akoy can be had and that he will eventually come around for Nebraska. Miles doesn't feel that Louisville and Pitino are a good fit for Akoy and that we still have a shot at him. Now, I don't know if this is anything earth shattering or if we should expect Miles to feel any other way. But it is the only info to be gained from the story that I was told other than the fact that Miles is still active in the pursuit and I think everybody is well aware of that fact.

It would be huge for Miles and the 2013 class if he could get Agau to flip his commit to Nebraska. Agau, Webster, Fuller, and Hawkins would be a solid first class for Miles, especially considering the limited amount of time he has had at Nebraska so far.

I wouldn't put it past Tim Miles to have orchestrated something with Akoy.

Think about it.

In-state recruit leaves for a big-name program with a legit basketball history. Then before the signing deadline, the player flips and signs with the home team.

Akoy is a hero. Miles is a hero. The state looses their collective mind (as much as can happen for basketball). Let's be honest, Akoy obviously is a bit dramatic and likes attention, and Miles is all about promotion.

What if Akoy wanted to sign with NU from day 1? That's boring. Let's have some fun. Let's pretend you're going to leave the state and attend prep school. Let's also pretend you're upset with your former teammate for suggesting he's a factor in your recruitment. Then how about you go and flirt with some pretty big names in college basketball, verbal'ing with a top 5 team and a well-known, future HOF coach.

THAT would create some buzz for the program now wouldn't it?

Think about it.

In-state recruit leaves for a big-name program with a legit basketball history. Then before the signing deadline, the player flips and signs with the home team.

Akoy is a hero. Miles is a hero. The state looses their collective mind (as much as can happen for basketball). Let's be honest, Akoy obviously is a bit dramatic and likes attention, and Miles is all about promotion.

What if Akoy wanted to sign with NU from day 1? That's boring. Let's have some fun. Let's pretend you're going to leave the state and attend prep school. Let's also pretend you're upset with your former teammate for suggesting he's a factor in your recruitment. Then how about you go and flirt with some pretty big names in college basketball, verbal'ing with a top 5 team and a well-known, future HOF coach.

Wow! Aren't sports great. Maybe he could decide, inbetween, to become a pro rassler, also. That would create even more buzz nationally.

Think about it.

Not saying I believe it, but it did enter into my mind after he committed to Slick Rick, that if he really wanted to be a hero and/or generate buzz, it would be to drop Louisville and sign with Nebraska at the last moment. I doubt that if that was the case, he's less concerned about buzz for NU as he is buzz for Akoy.

Great for Miles if he's still working him, he should be, until Akoy signs his LOI.

I personally think Miles is now recruiting Akoy more for the spring of 2014 when Akoy realizes that the bench at Louisville is pretty deep ahead of him and more 5 stars are on the way and he wants to come home.

Akoy isn't exactly a hot topic these days on the Louisville Basketball message boards. Other than the reaction some time ago to Tim Miles showing up at Central High School, Akoy barely gets a mention, it seems. Heck, in a recent thread on recuits who are expected to make the biggest impact, all the other Louisville verbals get some discussion, but the number of times Akoy is mentioned . . . zero.

Like I mentioned back in the spring, I don't think the Big East is the best fit for him. I've seen way more talented, way more developed bigs get completely swallowed alive by that league. Mix in the fact that Pitino will have zero difficulty/second thoughts about recruiting someone better right over the top of him... he's much better off going straight to NU.

BTW... the above posted scenario (from yesterday) is obviously far-fetched. But I can see it being concocted by the individuals involved (that's all I was saying).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting little tidbit in the Doc Sadler article in the OWH today:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20130319/HUSKERS/703199881/1002#doc-sadler-in-no-hurry-to-leave-jayhawks

Already, 20 Division I jobs have opened. One filled Tuesday when Missouri-Kansas City hired Louisville assistant Kareem Richardson, who was the lead recruiter on Omaha Central all-stater Akoy Agau.

Tucked away at the bottom of the article.  Anybody think there's even a remote possibility Akoy might re-consider his decision to go to Louisville?