John Groce

Swan88

If I coached against Nebraska, I'd press for at least 10 minutes a game. It's crazy how bad we are at breaking them.

Pressing does a few things to your team though...

1) Leads to more tired legs as you are a constant on the go team.

2) May lead to easy buckets for Nebraska.  All it takes is for us to break the press and we have a 3 on 2,  2 on 1,  etc.  

That is something you may not want to do.  We are not the best in the half court, and points can sometimes be hard for us to find.  Why would you want to press us and possibly allow us easy buckets?  Besides that if you allow us easy buckets then you have to come down and try to find a bucket against our tenacious D.

If I coached against Nebraska, I'd press for at least 10 minutes a game. It's crazy how bad we are at breaking them.

2) May lead to easy buckets for Nebraska.  All it takes is for us to break the press and we have a 3 on 2,  2 on 1,  etc.  

That is something you may not want to do.  We are not the best in the half court, and points can sometimes be hard for us to find.  Why would you want to press us and possibly allow us easy buckets?  Besides that if you allow us easy buckets then you have to come down and try to find a bucket against our tenacious D.

This one is almost TOO easy...

1) Valid point, which is why you only do it in spurts (I was exaggerating about pressing for 10 minutes, but I'd make it a point of emphasis in my game plan).

2) I don't remember a whole lot of easy buckets for us against the press. I bet we've given up a lot more than we've gotten vs. the press. Seriously, we're really bad at breaking the press.

The point of pressing isn't always to get turnovers.

Illinois pressed us for most of the game and the result of all that pressing is reflected in the final score.

Basically, what they're doing is trying to allow us only 26-27 seconds once we cross half-court to get into our half-court offense.  Swing the ball twice and you're down to about 13-15 seconds and it's time to center it and let Terran go one-on-one.  And I think they were banking on Terran not being consistently able to nail shots at the shot clock buzzer.

Forcing us deep into the clock on every possession was their hope to get us to take bad shots probably figuring they could out-rebound our misses.  It also meant fewer possessions over the course of the game and a lower final score.

But, again, I don't think it was their purpose to try to force turnovers.  I think it was their purpose to try to make us use as much of the count as possible to clear the timeline so that we didn't have as much time to get into our half-court O.

• 4 months later...

Is It Do or Die for Illinois Fighting Illini Head Coach John Groce? - BT Powerhouse

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/2015/5/22/8632735/is-it-do-or-die-for-illinois-fighting-illini-head-coach-john-groce-ncaa-basketball

usa-today-8412961.0.jpg

After missing a second straight NCAA Tournament with the Fighting Illini, John Groce could be in trouble if he fails to deliver for Illinois next season.